Shopping Discussion

Sporting Life Worst Shopping Experience!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2010 11:42 am
Tags:
None
Apr 18, 2007
5 posts

Sporting Life Worst Shopping Experience!!

I have just experienced one the worst sales experience in my life!! I tried to purchase a tennis racquet from Sporting Life on-line.
When I tried to order my grip size, the price jumped $50. I called the store, spoke to the manager, and I was told to go ahead and order it and he would make the changes at his end.
I had a 20% off coupon, that was calculated incorrectly. $140 – 20%... should be $112…they charged me $118, but for $6 bucks, i thought it wasn't worth the debate. He called that evening to tell me the price that I would see on my credit card. I joked...it is in stock right??? Of course… I was told.

The next day I received an email confirming shipment, and a UPS tracking number. 3 hours later, a form letter email arrived saying it was out of stock and the order was abruptly cancelled. Upon follow up, I was told there was one left, in a smaller size. I said I would take it.

I drove to the store to see it first...luckily, since it turned out to be two sizes LARGER. The worker in the tennis department told me it happens all the time..on line data base is not accurate. He then blames the on-line department for grabbing the wrong racquet, and then had to cancel it. He then started to bad mouth the racquet, telling me it was a mistake to buy and tried to switch me to another one, saying it was for stronger players and no female professional players use this racquet. (they do...) He never even asked what level of player I was!! He said I would need a ‘forgiving’ ‘recreational’ racquet. Why would he assume this?? I was put in an uncomfortable position trying to justify that I was in fact, a strong player with a crowd of on-lookers listening to the conversation!!

I wasted a ton of time back and forth emails, store visit, was insulted, AND NOW I HAVE BEEN CHARGED ON MY CREDIT CARD!!! I will provide updates on my progress with this.

Ironic this comment is at the end of all my communication with them:
‘We are a retailer with Passion, Knowledge, Integrity and are committed to a relentless desire to improve our performance in creating the highest quality experience for all our Customers and Staff.’
8 replies
Banned
Feb 25, 2010
193 posts
I had a different experience with sporting life last Friday.

Went there to get some Rollerblades,
The guy in that department was very helpful and gave me many tips on starting to Rollerblade.

I got these K2 Rollerblades for $130 after taxes which was a great deal as they are selling online in the u.s for $129.99

I love sportinglife and their prices.
My Wins:
(2) 2010-2011 Raptors Season Tickets ($7,000 Cdn)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
OP, use paragraphs if you want people to read your post.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Sporting Life stores are excellent for customer service. Online is another ball game.

First of all, the website sucks.

Then, half of what shows as available is not available in actuality. Then if you call a store to cross reference their site with in-store stock or any kind of confirmation that something is available, you get bumped around to more staffers than can be counted.

The thing I ALWAYS do at Sporting Life if I am there to buy something is I find a manager and get them to help me. Their managers are amazing. They know their stores and stock and bend over backwards to help you. I cannot say enough about the customer service that the managers at these stores display.

PS I do not work there. My only affiliation is an addiction to shopping there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I have to come into this thread to strongly support Sporting Life and SPECIFICALLY their online customer service. I also had a problem with ordering tennis raquets on sale last year and their interface screwed up and they were OOS on one. The physical store people didnt do anything for me. There were a few other things that occurred and I sent them a longwinded complaining e-mail about my online shopping experiences with them since it was actually my second disappointment because of their interface and sending me 2 different grip sized raquets because they only had 1 of the size I wanted (one was supposed to be shaved down to match) so there was like 3 things that bugged me.

The online manager phoned me the next morning and addressed every point I made in the email and made me an offer that I couldnt refuse and talked a little about tennis. My newly offered deal was better raquets for a little more money and were strung for free with their strings and sent the next day.

Their actual website indeed sucks. The excuse was it was launched fall 2008. Hopefully they will improve the interface soon.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
2032 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Sporting Life is terrible ! Most stuff on website is not at the stores.
The store is crammed and messy ! You cant even move without bumping into something !
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2759 posts
5017 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered a pair of running shoes from Sporting Life and when they came, the security tag was still attached to the shoes, making them unusable! I called and complained and they sent someone to my office within an hour to take it off! Really exceptional customer service.
Mar 9, 2019
1 posts
Terrible store experience

Store Location: sporting life bikes and boards
2554 young st.

Me and 2 of my friends, different ethnicities, darker complexions all, walked into the store and immediately had the feeling we were being watched with suspicion. My two friends went browsing downstairs (being followed by 2 people), while I went upstairs to check the bike fenders. The sales agent approached me and asked “what do you want.” Immediately I felt his tone was not right, the way he probed. I did not feel welcome in the store and won’t be back. C’mon Sporting Life it’s Toronto in 2019, get with the program!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)