• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2016 12:19 am
[OP]
Sep 30, 2016
3 posts

Spot On Consignment

Hello,

I have been directed to this forum by a reddit user where I have a running topic asking for local help:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mississauga/co ... ease_help/

Here's the long story:
I am currently a resident of the States. Cincinnati, Ohio specifically. I contacted a local seller for an iPhone SE via email. Shortly after email contact was made, she informed me that she had gone home to Mississauga, ON but hoped we could still complete the deal. Given my general positive outlook on peoples morals, and the fact that I was genuinely interested in the phone she was selling, I decided to proceed with the deal.

The seller suggested an escrow service, because while I was willing to try, I'm smart enough to at least take some caution in internet dealings and I insisted that I have a chance to test the phone on my service provider before exchanging money. Her solution was an escrow company called "Spot On Consignment." Considering all of our dealings had been very friendly, candid, and with well crafted English, and the site looked fairly legit, I decided to continue with her suggestion.

After agreeing, a few days later I received a very detailed and official looking invoice describing the item being sold, and specific instruction on payment arrangements. Our agents name appeared to be... possibly Romanian, and I was surprised to see the wire transfer destination as the UK. These were my first red flags outside of a basic buyers paranoia. I had my girlfriend take a look at it for a second opinion, and while she found it questionable everything looked pretty legit to her, too. Upon further research, I found the company also had a location in the UK. At the time, that made me feel a little more comfortable, but now I am thinking that maybe they are just running the same scam over seas.

I decided to go through with the transaction. Yesterday I transferred the money per the instruction and instantly felt remorse for doing so. I came home and did some more research. I went to their website and looked up their location address under the "contact us" tab where I discovered, from a street view, the address was that of a FedEx shipping center. Not totally unrelated, I though that maybe they were located/affiliated with FedEx directly, so I reached out to FedEx customer service where they denied knowledge of the company as well as disregarded the chances of this company being located within a shipping location.

Now I sit here, too deep into this to walk away, but not so far that I can't still fight for my money back. The money is over the wire, but I have not informed the company that I have sent it.

Any help, suggestions, knowledge, or support would be so greatly appreciated. I feel like a total sucker right now.

(I'm willing to provide any addition information such as email correspondences and invoices per request)

Thanks

Here is the PDF invoice I was sent:
http://imgur.com/a/D6mmc
7 replies
Feb 8, 2003
684 posts
184 upvotes
Come on man, you cannot be that dumb.

Of course it is a scam. Looking at the invoice makes me lol. WTF does Ebay have to do with anything? The Canadian flag wtf is that on there for lol.

Lesson learned I guess, people get away with these obvious scams because of suckers like you trying to get "a deal"

Edit: Lol just looked at the Item. Brand new 64 GB Iphone SE 200 bucks, like how more obvious can you get?
Oct 2, 2016
1 posts
We appear to have been the victim of the same scam, same phone, same invoice, etc. Luckily paid with credit card so can stop payment. We also did our research and had multiple eyes looking at it. Scoured the web for any scam alerts and nothing came up. Spot On Consignment looked like it could be a legit service. This seems like a new scam that has just popped up in the last couple of weeks, so we'll be working to get the word out. @Supeg93, does it make you feel good to be such a jerk? Righteous people like you don't help anything, so keep your vile to yourself unless you can contribute constructively.
Feb 8, 2003
684 posts
184 upvotes
laddshack wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 7:35 pm
We appear to have been the victim of the same scam, same phone, same invoice, etc. Luckily paid with credit card so can stop payment. We also did our research and had multiple eyes looking at it. Scoured the web for any scam alerts and nothing came up. Spot On Consignment looked like it could be a legit service. This seems like a new scam that has just popped up in the last couple of weeks, so we'll be working to get the word out. @Supeg93, does it make you feel good to be such a jerk? Righteous people like you don't help anything, so keep your vile to yourself unless you can contribute constructively.
Lol, Sorry but you had multiple people look at that invoice and say everything looks a-ok? WTF.

No wonder these scammer keep scamming on.

The scammers use your greed to get the best of you. New Iphone 64 GB SE for 200. You see ad think "Wow I must be only one to see this ad Ill jump on this deal" then ignore the 10000x red flags. Sorry, I do not really have much sympathy for people like you. Tried to get greedy and got burned by a obvious scam.

Like you said you paid by Credit Card, so contact them and do a charge back. If you are lucky it will go through but you sent money to person you were supposed to so....
[OP]
Sep 30, 2016
3 posts
laddshack wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 7:35 pm
Indeed we did, my friend. I was also fooled. For me, the services seemed legit. I was made to feel comfortable by the personable scammer, as well as the fact that her home address was in close proximity to the given location of "Spot on consignment" via their website. I also did a bunch of online research. Given that it's coming to light that this is a new scam, I'm not surprised web searched didn't bring anything up. No matter what this other jerk says, I'm a well educated person and I was a victim of the same scam, so don't feel stupid.

Luckily, I contacted Moneygram before I provided this fake company my ref# so I was able to cancel the transaction. Whether or not I'll get my money back is still up in the air, but at least I've prevented these ******* from collecting. I'm glad to hear you kept your money out of their hands as well.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2016
3 posts
supeg93 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 6:50 pm

Of course it is a scam. Looking at the invoice makes me lol. WTF does Ebay have to do with anything? The Canadian flag wtf is that on there for lol.

Lesson learned I guess, people get away with these obvious scams because of suckers like you trying to get "a deal"

Edit: Lol just looked at the Item. Brand new 64 GB Iphone SE 200 bucks, like how more obvious can you get?
Your first mistake is the assumption that I'm here for sympathy. I am not. The purpose of these forums is to warn others and to look for assistance. I am pretty clearly doing both. I have been beating myself up about this for a week and I even called myself a "sucker" in my original posting. I am not a frequent internet purchaser, let alone an international one. Being a novice at something is not the same as being an idiot. I did not know what to look for. I wish that people like you, who seem to be much more knowledgable of these transactions, would attempt to help people out instead of just insulting them. I can only assume the objective of this forums is to help victims of scams. You are not doing that, but instead plunging the knife deeper. To me, you're no better than the ******* who tried to scam me.

I accepted the use of the Canadian flag because, through my research, I found that this company (or scam, I guess) existed in the UK as well. I just assumed the Canadian flag was saying this was the Canadian branch.

Also, please stop acting like a know-it-all. Since this failed transaction, I have successfully purchased an iPhone SE for 230$. Of course, that's not the 200$ priced for this sale, but It's not too farfetched to think that someone trying to sell a phone quickly might price it low to move the product. That's pretty basic sales

I'm no moderator of these forums, but I'd suggest you find a new hobby, or at least take your frustration out on people who aren't looking for help.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4364 posts
433 upvotes
Markham
wsreadnower wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 3:07 pm
supeg93 wrote:

Your first mistake is the assumption that I'm here for sympathy. I am not. The purpose of these forums is to warn others and to look for assistance. I am pretty clearly doing both. I have been beating myself up about this for a week and I even called myself a "sucker" in my original posting. I am not a frequent internet purchaser, let alone an international one. Being a novice at something is not the same as being an idiot. I did not know what to look for. I wish that people like you, who seem to be much more knowledgable of these transactions, would attempt to help people out instead of just insulting them. I can only assume the objective of this forums is to help victims of scams. You are not doing that, but instead plunging the knife deeper. To me, you're no better than the ******* who tried to scam me.

I accepted the use of the Canadian flag because, through my research, I found that this company (or scam, I guess) existed in the UK as well. I just assumed the Canadian flag was saying this was the Canadian branch.

Also, please stop acting like a know-it-all. Since this failed transaction, I have successfully purchased an iPhone SE for 230$. Of course, that's not the 200$ priced for this sale, but It's not too farfetched to think that someone trying to sell a phone quickly might price it low to move the product. That's pretty basic sales

I'm no moderator of these forums, but I'd suggest you find a new hobby, or at least take your frustration out on people who aren't looking for help.
Good one
Feb 8, 2003
684 posts
184 upvotes
wsreadnower wrote:
Oct 4th, 2016 3:07 pm
supeg93 wrote:

64 GB IPhone SE sealed for 230, sure bud.

You got really greedy and paid for it. This is just like the white van scams they pray on people looking for a deal blinded by greed. Considering almost certainly someone selling a sealed iPhone for 1/3 the cost would be selling a stolen item I do not feel to bad for you. I assume you are intelligent enough to know the no one would sell a unopened item for 1/3 or even 1/2 the cost unless it is stolen goods.

Lose the ego and understand that you got scammed in the same way a person sending money to a Nigerian prince did and move on.