Expired Hot Deals

[Spotify] Free Google Home Mini for Spotify Premium subscribers (till April 17th)

Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13854 posts
1983 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
aasoror wrote: It's not too good to be true, these speakers are dirt cheap to make, and whatever Google swallowed on that promo it will make more in saved advertisement campaigns and damages to Amazon's market shares.
That not a price error or a leaked deal, it's a calculated campaign and will be done when Google hits it's target.
And also improves Spotify's growth rate. A very cheap campaign to get concrete results and improve attrition rates against the competition that's getting very aggressive in this space. Guaranteed cheaper rate than running an ad-campaign on TV/Radio or even digital.
Last edited by weedb0y on Apr 10th, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 29, 2014
872 posts
586 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
Gtaphotog wrote: Whatever device you're typing from right now is giving up so much more information.

Just stop. If you don't want it don't come and say it.

Do you walk into stores that you don't want to buy something just to tell everyone that you don't want to buy anything?

Google has been tracking you for years and now you're worried about a speaker?

You should research what info they get from smartphones and computers vs speakers
So we're all supposed to be in unanimous agreement that everyone who posts in this thread has to want this deal? No, thanks. I'm familiar with the kind of information that tech companies collect and as much as I like Google as a brand, a "smart speaker" is something that I can do without.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2176 posts
428 upvotes
Gta
So I ordered yesterday noon and just got Canada post confirmation of delivery about an hour ago but on my original order the condo unit was missing. I called the concierge to let them know I had delivery of a package but my unit number was missing so please know the package is mine. They said not to worry, when Canada post comes they will keep an eye out for me? What does this mean...our building usually doesn’t get Canada post delivery until 4:30 or so...who is lying?! Canada post or my concierge?
Koodo member
Jul 20, 2018
340 posts
211 upvotes
idontwantausername wrote:
throw everything you have connected to the internet in the garbage then, your smartphone, computers, tablets, smart speakers, etc.. if they wanted to listen in on you they would be doing it already.

don't be so naive.
Personally I dont buy any devices that are voice activated. The issue isnt that they are listening to me, it's that they have the opportunity to if they wanted to. They've already proven that some of these devices have been bugged and are in an always listening state. It's not that I'm worried about someone listening to what i have to say, it's the fact that that the devices can listen in general. If you're ok with that then by all means go right ahead but I will never support a product that has the ability to farm data from inside my house. Period.

For some people privacy still means something. The arguement that everything has the potential to listen is absolutely ridiculous. These devices are specifically made to listen so they can respond to whatever question you ask them. My laptop isnt sitting powered on waiting for me to ask it something.

This is the problem with stuff like this, people chalk it up as well everything is listening to me so why not just buy this? Its ludicrous.
Last edited by TURNIPtheBEET on Apr 10th, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
4692 posts
3636 upvotes
This is for all y'all worried about data collection and spying....

I just checked Google analytics for my website for the first time and the amount of info is astonishing. I can see locations, network, device, screen resolution, duration, where they click from, which browser, which OS and so much more yet you're worried about a speaker in a room that you arent in 24/7 but totally neglect that you smartphone is tracking every little thing you click, see, read, hear, watch or even say.
Oct 29, 2014
872 posts
586 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
Gtaphotog wrote: So I take it you don't have a smartphone?
I take it you aren't familiar with system settings that can disable Google Assistant voice activation?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
4692 posts
3636 upvotes
GabbyWC wrote: So we're all supposed to be in unanimous agreement that everyone who posts in this thread has to want this deal? No, thanks. I'm familiar with the kind of information that tech companies collect and as much as I like Google as a brand, a "smart speaker" is something that I can do without.
You're still here talking about something you can do without, why?

Is your day that slow?
Aug 9, 2010
145 posts
61 upvotes
Bowmanville
Ordered around 11am. Estimated delivery is not till May 9-10. Anyone else’s this far out?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1563 posts
672 upvotes
Markham
Gtaphotog wrote: This is for all y'all worried about data collection and spying....

I just checked Google analytics for my website for the first time and the amount of info is astonishing. I can see locations, network, device, screen resolution, duration, where they click from, which browser, which OS and so much more yet you're worried about a speaker in a room that you arent in 24/7 but totally neglect that you smartphone is tracking every little thing you click, see, read, hear, watch or even say.
Have you checked what Facebook knows about and everyone around you? It's scary as ****.
cd ~/cloudbox
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
8275 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
queenofhearts wrote: So I ordered yesterday noon and just got Canada post confirmation of delivery about an hour ago but on my original order the condo unit was missing. I called the concierge to let them know I had delivery of a package but my unit number was missing so please know the package is mine. They said not to worry, when Canada post comes they will keep an eye out for me? What does this mean...our building usually doesn’t get Canada post delivery until 4:30 or so...who is lying?! Canada post or my concierge?
Sometimes, concierge don't go through the assignment of packages till later? Mine calls me sometimes like afternoon
Last edited by Pochacco on Apr 10th, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
4692 posts
3636 upvotes
GabbyWC wrote: I take it you aren't familiar with system settings that can disable Google Assistant voice activation?
I take it you're unfamiliar that Google isn't the only voice assistant on smartphones.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1663 posts
1029 upvotes
If you own an iPhone or any Android phone, then you’re already being monitored. If you think otherwise, well then no free Google Home Mini for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1128 posts
305 upvotes
GTA
Isnt Apple Music going to surprise Spotify soon? Maybe this is why they want new users.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2626 posts
1634 upvotes
Lets get back to talking about the deal. I'm sure there are sub-forums for tinfoil hat discussions on RFD.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2176 posts
428 upvotes
Gta
Pochacco wrote: Sometimes, concierge don't go through the assignment of packages till later?
Yeah but normally delivery of Canada post is around 4:30. So I shouldn’t even have any Canada post notification. I guess they deliver twice a day and I am unaware. God...I’m on pins and needles till i get home
Koodo member