Might try on weekend.
Thanks for suggestions!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1827 posts
756 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
My take on Spotify;

I tried it out during the last $.99 for 90 day offer.
I initially installed the app on my Mac Mini, which acts as my music player in my kitchen. The GUI is very good, although I sometimes got frustrated with getting it to do what I wanted. Possible user error on my end, but frankly if I have to wrestle with less than intuitive software, I consider it poorly done. I didn't want to have to spend hours dicking around with something while I'm trying to chop onions.

The audio quality was good, although since it was in a less than ideal listening environment, it's hard to say.
I liked that the app was available across a variety of platforms; my Android tablet and phone, Xbox, Denon receiver, and even an older Mac Mini running Snow Leopard that lives in my garage - (but sadly soon to become unsupported by Spotify). The GUI was obviously different on the mobile devices, and I actually preferred using it over the desktop app. I didn't try the Xbox app, because I concentrate on killing, not dancing, when I'm on it. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I have a fairly eclectic taste in music, and only once or twice I couldn't find what I was looking for during searches.

I haven't tried any of the other music services so I can't compare Spotify.

The biggest thing for me is the cost/benefit. While I think it's a good service, I just don't use it enough to justify $10 a month. I'll continue to use the 'free with ads' version, for sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1113 posts
376 upvotes
Laval
stevewk wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 4:36 pm
Anyone else keep getting stuck at "Enter a valid postal code"? I've tried combinations of spaces, capitilization, hyphen but doesn't seem to be accepting any actually valid postal codes?

Edit: Looks like because I set up my account at work, it likely picked up a US IP address and set my account to "US" (not modifiable). Will trash this account and make a new one from home. Thanks OP!
Stuck there as well...did it work at home?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1177 posts
132 upvotes
For those of you on the fence, Spotify is the best music service, I listen on android/iphone and windows and it's the best across the board. I'm giving insight from around 6m-12m ago, but Google music crashed constantly on my iphone, and even apple music froze up. I hate itunes, so apple music sucks on PC, but google music wasn't bad, Spotify is the best because of the remote feature, and pretty basic/simple app to install.
I also have a fire tv, GM is a pain to install on, and I don't think you can install apple music, so again Spotify wins.
Feb 22, 2009
301 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa
mtlmonk wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:21 am
Stuck there as well...did it work at home?
Yes, I remote desktop'd to my home PC and no issues.
Oct 15, 2013
131 posts
76 upvotes
Spotify is the best service but $9.99 a month is too much when you consider how many free options there are out there. Not like I can't afford it but it's the principle!

If it was $4.99 I'd get it.

The ads are annoying but its the lack of HQ streaming with the free version I really don't like.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1827 posts
756 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
sooperdice wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 1:01 pm
I am currently trying out Tidal, its awful aside from the sound quality. Going back to Spotify once the trial is over.
What do you dislike about Tidal? I've only used it a few hours so far, and to me it seems about the same as Spotify.
(Mind you, I only listened to maybe 10-15 hours of Spotify during the last $.99 offer, so I can't say I had a huge user experience with it)