Hot Deals

[Spotify] Spotify limited time holiday offer one year of Premium for $99 (from $120) No QC(?)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2017 2:04 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26907 posts
6398 upvotes
GTHA
ApocDeals wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 12:27 am
With Apple’s music streaming service it is 6 users, and maybe a few others. Also, Apple charges a discount rate of $99/year if you pay for the full year like this promo already, but since I hear you can pay for Apple Music with iTunes cards it becomes cheaper if you get the gift cards at a discount (i.e. Costco has them for $80 for $100 worth).

I don’t think Spotify is looking for quick cash as if they are in big trouble... they realize the holidays is a season of new phones and new services, and Apple and Google have an upper hand with their phones. I wouldn’t be surprised if Spotify has been losing subs though. Other options caught up and they are generally cheaper. If YouTube Red ever comes to Canada in the same way as in the USA, I’ll jump on it. $15 for family plan, YouTube ad free, offline video downloading, Music streaming, and watch YouTube without it being in focus.
afaik, the iTunes $100 Multipack is back to the regular price of $93.99 at Costco.

from costco-100-multipack-4-x-25-itunes-card ... y-2149702/
May 25, 2011
1 posts
WINNIPEG
I just bought the 3 months for .99. If I buy the 99 will it be added to the 3 months already purchased?
Nov 13, 2006
22 posts
3 upvotes
mgnutel wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 1:06 am
I just bought the 3 months for .99. If I buy the 99 will it be added to the 3 months already purchased?
I’m also interested in the answer to this question.
Jan 10, 2016
51 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton, ON
obk1988 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 2:29 pm
man anyone wanna do a family plan for google play music...sorrry for hijacking the post
Is google music better than spotify??
Apr 17, 2012
236 posts
201 upvotes
CALGARY
kauljppp wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:19 am
Is google music better than spotify??
This is from my personal experience. Google music uses a lot more data than Spotify. I have 6 gb of data and I would get alert maybe half way in the month that I have 250mb left. I even lowered the quality to the lowest possible. I listen everyday driving to and from work. When I switched to Spotify, never had that issue. I even have 2 to 3 gb to spare.

Also, both has all the English contents. Spotify has more foreign content. (At least Chinese, Korean, Japanese).

Most hardware devices has Spotify connect service and not many support Google music. Eg receivers.

One good thing about Google music is one account can play on more than one device at a time as long as the Google account is signed in. I had music on my desktop and my girlfriend would listen in the kitchen. Spotify can only play on one device at a time.

I had Google music for a year and about 6 months on Spotify. I would stick with Spotify due to hardware and foreign content. I have the family account and have one account set on each device. Hope this helps.
Nov 13, 2006
22 posts
3 upvotes
mgnutel wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 1:06 am
So I bit the bullet. The offer for me was 3 months for $9.99 so I bought that. Then I tried to get the yearly $99 and it said I was not eligible. So I guess that answers our question. I guess they figure that since I already get 2 free months with the deal I bought, I don't deserve another 2 free months. Sucks.
Apr 12, 2017
61 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
Leverage wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:34 am
Best deal for Spotify Premium is the Family plan if you have 4 other 'family members' to share it with - works out to be $36/yr each for 5 users, all with their own separate accounts/logins, playlists, offline devices, etc. Thought I'd mention it here for any not aware of it.
I was just gonna say, this deal is not hot at all....
Ahorra plata o plomo.
Mar 28, 2016
191 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
You can get 3 mth for $9.99 and tack on another 9 months for $90. It works out the same as this $99 for 12 month deal but you can cancel after the first 3 months.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1712 posts
151 upvotes
Family plan is great but the hassle of asking family/friends the $ every month/yr is annoying/hassle.

Of course its different if its for your wife/husband/gf/bf and 3 kids or your parents because we'll you're not bent about them not paying it, needless to say you'd pay for it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5402 posts
1988 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Meh.
Vinyl FTW!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2743 posts
107 upvotes
The only thing I dislike about Spotify is that I can’t restrict music that has adult lyrics, I really wish I had that control, not just for her kids but for when I’m in the car playing my playlist and not realizing there is graphic verbal content and I’ve got young ones in the car.

Regarding the sharing of a family plan, so right now I have my own Spotify account that I had when Rogers gave a free premium for being a new customer, I don’t want to lose my playlist, will I have to setup a new account if I go to a family sharing plan that belongs to someone else? And what if in 6 months I join another family plan, can I keep using the same account I have?
Last edited by Rockstead on Dec 4th, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 23, 2015
200 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Rockstead wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:50 pm
The only hint I dislike about Spotify is that I can’t restrict music that has adult lyrics, I really wish I had that control, not just for her kids but for when I’m in the car playing my playlist and not realizing there is graphic verbal content and I’ve got young ones in the car.

Regarding the sharing of a family plan, so right now I have my own Spotify account that I had when Rogers gave a free premium for being a new customer, I don’t want to lose my playlist, will I have to setup a new account if I go to a family sharing plan that belongs to someone else? And what if in 6 months I join another family plan, can I keep using the same account I have?
You don't have to set up a new account if you do switch to family plan.
Keep your playlists — When you upgrade, all your saved music and recommendations come with you.
https://www.spotify.com/us/family/
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2159 posts
922 upvotes
Muskoka
FYI - If you pay Spotify with Paypal, it will not charge sales tax. At least that is the case for me

Here is the active RFD thread for people getting together for 'families'
family-spotify-group-buy-2043372/