Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary

Sprained ankle - can I still work out?

This might sound like a dumb question, but I sprained my ankle pretty badly, and was just wondering if I can still go to the gym, and obviously not work out my legs, but still do like presses, probably anything where im sitting down, so I dont put any pressure on my ankle, so would that be okay? Im just asking cause I know sometimes when your pushing the weights, you can feel the pressure on other parts of your body, so I just want to make sure it doesnt have any negative effects. Thanks
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2427 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
make sure you also do some exercises to strengthen that ankle back up, including balance exercises.
Banned
Jun 21, 2005
4231 posts
5 upvotes
litebrite wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 12:04 am
make sure you also do some exercises to strengthen that ankle back up, including balance exercises.
Um.. no, don't do that.
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2427 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
^ why shouldn't you do that?

i sprained my ankle back in may, saw a doctor and went straight to physio. i was given exercises to strengthen the ligaments in order to regain my balance to avoid spraining the ankle again.

this is assuming OP is on the road to recovery. better take care of the sprain now before you end up on the path of recurring ankle injuries.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
There are many degrees to a sprain...so, really there will be a continuum of what you should and should not do....

For a mild sprain, then likely yes you would start some basic exercises once you have stopped swelling (which could be a day or so).

When I sprained my ankle I had considerable bruising, my ankle was the size of a grapefruit and the main swelling took almost a month or so to subside. Swelling persisted for close to a year (especially after activities).
Feb 22, 2006
844 posts
1 upvote
I had a sprained ankle before and I was able to work out fine.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34257 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
Just dont put stress on your ankles.
You could even do some machine leg raises. b/c you push that thing up with your shins.
But go light. Some people have the tendency to curl their feet when trying to squeeze out reps.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2573 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
Tijuana wrote:
Sep 20th, 2009 11:52 pm
This might sound like a dumb question, but I sprained my ankle pretty badly, and was just wondering if I can still go to the gym, and obviously not work out my legs
You can definately still do leg extensions and leg curls without putting an ounce of stress on your ankle.

You can probably even do things like leg press and calf raise if you're careful. Ankle sprains usually come from athletic lateral motions (did you roll your ankle?). Slow, controlled lifting motions are usually fine with that kind of injury, as long as you align your foot properly. Obviously you should try with near zero load first to make sure that you are indeed avoiding the injury with your motion, but if you sort of explore your pain-free range of motion and give yourself a margin of safety, it'll be okay.

I've done leg exercises before with a sprained ankle and it's fine. Just avoid things like squats or plyometrics. Without a machine to control the motion, there's always a chance of needing to stabilize yourself in an unexpected way.

If you're talking about a high ankle sprain, though, then ignore everything I said. Good luck in your recovery!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
I have bruising around the back of my ankle and around my toes, this happened thursday night so I still think ill wait abit, it still is swollen, so I dont want to risk anything, but I'll stick to exercises where I sit mainly.
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
May 17, 2004
900 posts
91 upvotes
Markham
nalababe wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 1:07 pm
There are many degrees to a sprain...so, really there will be a continuum of what you should and should not do....

For a mild sprain, then likely yes you would start some basic exercises once you have stopped swelling (which could be a day or so).

When I sprained my ankle I had considerable bruising, my ankle was the size of a grapefruit and the main swelling took almost a month or so to subside. Swelling persisted for close to a year (especially after activities).
+1
Tijuana wrote:
This might sound like a dumb question, but I sprained my ankle pretty badly, and was just wondering if I can still go to the gym, and obviously not work out my legs, but still do like presses, probably anything where im sitting down, so I dont put any pressure on my ankle, so would that be okay? Im just asking cause I know sometimes when your pushing the weights, you can feel the pressure on other parts of your body, so I just want to make sure it doesnt have any negative effects. Thanks
If you're set on continuing your workouts, see a professional, get a referral to a physiotherapist, and get some recommendations based on the condition of your ankle.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1467 posts
6 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 3:37 pm
RICE

Take it easy. You said BAD, so just REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, ELEVATE. -sg
When I first read this, I was thinking "what does eating rice have anything to do with sprained ankles?!"

LOL. nvm me :)

You can still do upper body workouts.
Stick to things on the bench, because you'll be lying on your back and there will be very little pressure on your ankles.
Take it easy man, let your body heal back up.
You can spare a couple days, just don't have KFC for breakfast-lunch-dinner and you should be in an ok condition to pick up where you left off once the ankle is better.
Sep 1, 2006
71 posts
Seoul
Tijuana wrote:
If you're going to let a sprained ankle stop you from working out then maybe you should switch to yoga or pilates.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
It's more of a psychological thing. When you tense up your legs during a seated press, it's usually due to something called concurrent activation potentiation. It usually helps your performance even though the muscle does not contribute any actual force to the motion. As long as you can control yourself that you don't strain your ankle, then you should be fine.
× < >