Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4670 posts
47 upvotes
Local

Spraying lysol into car intake?

I heard you can turn the car interior fan on full blast and then spray lysol or some other air freshener disinfectant into the car intake to get rid of odd smells coming from the vents. Is this safe for the car? Would I have to remove the air filter? Any videos of this shown online?
26 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10907 posts
1323 upvotes
john widow wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2010 4:54 pm
I heard you can turn the car interior fan on full blast and then spray lysol or some other air freshener disinfectant into the car intake to get rid of odd smells coming from the vents. Is this safe for the car? Would I have to remove the air filter? Any videos of this shown online?

Don't use lysol because it turns into a sticky goop once the alcohol evaporates and probably makes things even worse. Find the proper product

http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/spec-sheet_AC-Treatment.pdf

http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/spec-sheet_AircoFresh.pdf

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
do you mean the outside vents going into interior of your car?
buy from CT, the A/C mildew remover. Wynn AC treatment sounds right. But I do this in the beginning of spring.
When engine warm, turn on AC full blast, once cold, turn off air recirculation, and spray liberally into the port. Run it for a while, then turn off AC and turn it to full heat for about 7-8 minutes. Full windows have to be down, no one should sit inside. You can repeat if necessary, my car never smells that skanky enough to warrant a repeat.

Hopefully you weren't referring to the intake to your engine.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24579 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
maniacshopper wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2010 8:48 am
do you mean the outside vents going into interior of your car?
buy from CT, the A/C mildew remover. Wynn AC treatment sounds right. But I do this in the beginning of spring.
When engine warm, turn on AC full blast, once cold, turn off air recirculation, and spray liberally into the port. Run it for a while, then turn off AC and turn it to full heat for about 7-8 minutes. Full windows have to be down, no one should sit inside. You can repeat if necessary, my car never smells that skanky enough to warrant a repeat.

Hopefully you weren't referring to the intake to your engine.
Hopeful you read the OP's post?

It would probably be too much to hope if you read 169norm's post with information already? :lol:
Mar 17, 2005
913 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
When i had a strange smell from the vents i changed the cabin filter. this fixed my problem. just an option.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1269 posts
153 upvotes
daftfunk wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2010 10:44 am
When i had a strange smell from the vents i changed the cabin filter. this fixed my problem. just an option.
Not really an 'option' but a MUST! He will enjoy the smell of 'covered up' mold/crap that is trapped in the filter... But as long as it doesn't smell right? :lol:

And one more thing that may be the source of the problem is if you put down towels between the mats in the car for the winter as a source of extra protection of the carpets [like i do]. After a month or so it begins to give off a old smell, so if this is the case, replace them or wash them...
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2297 posts
164 upvotes
Alberta
l69norm wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2010 5:02 pm
Don't use lysol because it turns into a sticky goop once the alcohol evaporates and probably makes things even worse. Find the proper product

http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/spec-sheet_AC-Treatment.pdf

http://www.wynnsusa.com/pdf/spec-sheet_AircoFresh.pdf

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html

Where can you buy this Wynn's AC products?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24579 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2010 7:32 pm
Where can you buy this Wynn's AC products?
CT, NAPA, AutoSource, Wallmart
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes
john widow wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2010 4:54 pm
I have the same odd smell problem as you... I tried the lysol disinfect lol... it doesnt really work. it just cover up the smell for about 2-3 days...then its back again. But then again i think it may have reduced the amount of odour... as i used to get a headache after driving for a while with the fans on, but now its alot less likely? maybe im used to the smell now? i dont know.

Also, my interior on the dash gets very dusty very quickly... i wonder how that happens? My air filter looks clean still.
Sep 20, 2003
521 posts
30 upvotes
azncapcom wrote:
Jan 24th, 2010 12:52 pm
I have the same odd smell problem as you... I tried the lysol disinfect lol... it doesnt really work. it just cover up the smell for about 2-3 days...then its back again. But then again i think it may have reduced the amount of odour... as i used to get a headache after driving for a while with the fans on, but now its alot less likely? maybe im used to the smell now? i dont know.

Also, my interior on the dash gets very dusty very quickly... i wonder how that happens? My air filter looks clean still.
Some cars have an air filter for the engine intake as well as a cabin air filter, you sure you checked the cabin air filter?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
3748 posts
217 upvotes
gdong wrote:
Jan 24th, 2010 1:01 pm
Some cars have an air filter for the engine intake as well as a cabin air filter, you sure you checked the cabin air filter?
i could only find one air filter in the car... and its the straight one? isnt the engine air filter the round one?
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote:
Jan 24th, 2010 12:52 pm

I don't think Corollas have cabin air filters, maybe the newer ones do.
Deal with it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24579 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
azncapcom wrote:
Jan 24th, 2010 1:09 pm
i could only find one air filter in the car... and its the straight one? isnt the engine air filter the round one?
Not necessarily round. On my past few cars it (engine filter) was square.
The engine and cabin are two distinct filters doing two distinct jobs. The engine filter will be under the hood, often in a box type pf device. The cabin filter is most often accessible from inside the car, often behind the glove box.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4670 posts
47 upvotes
Local
I also have the oem carpets and they are soaked I guess from walking in and out when it was raining. Even though it might have been a while, that stuff still lingers there. Should I really consider rubber matts?
× < >