• Nov 13th, 2018 12:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1808 posts
334 upvotes

Sprinkler/irrigation system blowout request

Hey guys,

The company I usually use to blow out my irrigation system retired without notice so I’m kinda in a scramble to find someone to blowout my system before the deep freeze comes.

Any recommendations from fellow rfder’s for companies that work in the markham region?

Thanks!!!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2126 posts
143 upvotes
Save the money and instead go buy a compressor and blow it out yourself, one time cost for the compressor equals to one blow out by the companies and you then do it the rest of your life to save money, it’s really easy to blow out the sprinklers, lots of YouTube videos
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1708 posts
725 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Diamond Irrigation, they are out of aurora
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1808 posts
334 upvotes
Is it really that easy? Will check out YouTube. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2126 posts
143 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 2:41 pm
Is it really that easy? Will check out YouTube. Thanks!
yes, I've been doing it myself for the last 5 years. My neighbors also blow out their own now after seeing me doing it. Make sure PSI is 45-50, don't go over that or else you might blow out the heads, that's pretty much the only caution.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1808 posts
334 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 10:43 pm
yes, I've been doing it myself for the last 5 years. My neighbors also blow out their own now after seeing me doing it. Make sure PSI is 45-50, don't go over that or else you might blow out the heads, that's pretty much the only caution.
Is there a minimum compressor size I should be looking for?

after watching a few videos, it still seems non-intuitive... I guess I gotta take a peak at my irrigation system and see what exactly it looks like as there seems to be a wide variation in types. maybe this will be a project for next year.. lol
Oct 14, 2007
366 posts
36 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 10:16 am

after watching a few videos, it still seems non-intuitive... I guess I gotta take a peak at my irrigation system and see what exactly it looks like as there seems to be a wide variation in types. maybe this will be a project for next year.. lol
Following. Looking to do this myself next year.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2126 posts
143 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote:

mr_yellow wrote:

Wonivek wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 4:12 pm
Following. Looking to do this myself next year.
Here is my setup, I only have a 3 gallon tank, but now I wish I bought a bigger one, maybe like 5 gallon. Reason, I have two zones but with a full tank I can blow out one zone at a time. I always blow out the zones two times just to make sure everything is clear. I didn’t want a big tank at first because I also like the portability of a smaller tank because I also use compressor to fill tires etc. in the future I might buy a bigger station tank and just use a long hose.

The hardest part for me at first was to find all the connectors to match the air compressor and the garden faucet, this was done with the help of Home Depot plumbing staff.

Hope this help.
Images
  • 65DA50A5-1BAD-4D4D-9A5F-BFD8DFCC9C90.jpeg
  • 954D7161-FC2B-49A1-A234-418D23A1E11E.jpeg
Oct 23, 2017
480 posts
237 upvotes
GTA West
rogerrabbit168 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 11:59 am
Save the money and instead go buy a compressor and blow it out yourself, one time cost for the compressor equals to one blow out by the companies and you then do it the rest of your life to save money, it’s really easy to blow out the sprinklers, lots of YouTube videos
Interesting. My guy rents a big construction compressor trailer that he pulls with his truck, and it still takes him at least half an hour to blow out my 5 zones. His dad had a smaller one he carried in his pickup and it took quite a bit longer. He usually waited a bit for any remaining water to pool in the lines before the second run.

I have a 3 gallon unit for inflating tires, and I can't imagine it doing the job. But I'll look at some of those Youtube videos.
Jan 23, 2015
740 posts
266 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
mr_yellow wrote:

Purchase a 4-6gal compressor. I've been using a 4gal compressor to blow out my 3 zone system for years, works great! You will also need to purchase a hook up fitting like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Winterize-Sprinkl ... 4N02TECSWJ
Oct 23, 2017
480 posts
237 upvotes
GTA West
Bianco13 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 8:57 am
Purchase a 4-6gal compressor. I've been using a 4gal compressor to blow out my 3 zone system for years, works great! You will also need to purchase a hook up fitting like this.

Never knew these existed. I guess the compressor doesn't really need to be sized according to how many zones you have, since each one is blown individually. Looks like a great way to save that $85 plus tax annual fee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1808 posts
334 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 8:37 am

Here is my setup, I only have a 3 gallon tank, but now I wish I bought a bigger one, maybe like 5 gallon. Reason, I have two zones but with a full tank I can blow out one zone at a time. I always blow out the zones two times just to make sure everything is clear. I didn’t want a big tank at first because I also like the portability of a smaller tank because I also use compressor to fill tires etc. in the future I might buy a bigger station tank and just use a long hose.

The hardest part for me at first was to find all the connectors to match the air compressor and the garden faucet, this was done with the help of Home Depot plumbing staff.

Hope this help.
Bianco13 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try this out next year.

I ended up finding a guy on kijiji to blow out my system after a few other companies I called had already stopped doing blowouts. Was $80 for the first call and $65 ongoing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)