• Feb 17th, 2019 8:07 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 10, 2012
185 posts
52 upvotes
Phantasm wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 2:19 am
I have read it - That's how I know you're paying more than 1.5%.

Maybe you should practice what you preach and read it for yourself. All of it. Not just the first line! Here's a tip, if you see an advertised rate of 1.5%*, that * is a dead giveaway that you're getting ripped off in the fine print.

I challenge you to post a picture of your Elavon monthly statement showing an Effective Merchant Discount Rate (EMDR) of 1.5%. If you can't do that, then be a man and admit you're wrong.
"practice what you preach"? Really? What is it that I am preaching? You said there was no way and I showed it to you. I have nothing to prove to anyone especially you. "be a man"? What's next you going to take me out back for a fist fight? You know what is truly depressing though? When you try to help someone and then you get attacked with baseless accusations and they offer no proof themselves. I was going to write a lot more but frankly I don't have the time nor do I care. The majority of what you said is only your opinion and not accurate and I will leave it at that.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1136 posts
259 upvotes
Burlington
spektakle wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 10:56 am
"practice what you preach"? Really? What is it that I am preaching? You said there was no way and I showed it to you. I have nothing to prove to anyone especially you. "be a man"? What's next you going to take me out back for a fist fight? You know what is truly depressing though? When you try to help someone and then you get attacked with baseless accusations and they offer no proof themselves. I was going to write a lot more but frankly I don't have the time nor do I care. The majority of what you said is only your opinion and not accurate and I will leave it at that.
You were preaching that I should read about the rates Costco offers through Elavon. I have, that is how I know you are paying more than the 1.5% that you stated.

Telling everyone in this thread you pay 1.5% with Elavon, and not mentioning the other fees for non-qualified card types, and Visa/MC assessment fees, cross border fees, etc. is very deceptive. Especially comparing to the flat rate that Square charges for all swiped credit card transactions.

If you were truly trying to help, you would mention all the associated fees, not just the lowest advertised teaser rate that is impossible to even achieve. I'm the one helping people by pointing out the truth that Elavon always charges more than 1.5%, in some cases significantly more.

If you know what I said is not accurate, prove it by posting a picture of your Elavon statement showing an EMDR of 1.5%. If you can't show it, then you don't know it. Instead of manning up and admitting when you're wrong, you're just doubling down on your dishonesty.
Oct 5, 2002
463 posts
93 upvotes
I just activated an account and didn’t realize they have a referral program. No fees for the first $1000 worth of transactions within 180 days of activating. Referral bonus is for both the new user and the referrer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9408 posts
2348 upvotes
Can square only do physical swipes? Or can I input credit card info (number, name, expiry, etc) so I can take it over the phone?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8961 posts
9938 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 4:19 pm
Can square only do physical swipes? Or can I input credit card info (number, name, expiry, etc) so I can take it over the phone?
You can do manual entry but fees are more and you're more susceptible to troll chargebacks as any dispute is instant gg
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2944 posts
1061 upvotes
Scarborough
Might be a long shot but does this accept international debit cards? I'm asking because what if I was able to use this machine overseas in a different country where I can utilize the cheap rates from Canada and own a business there? My parents are using their national country POS machine and comparing the rates this is a better deal. Is there anything illegal about doing something like this?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2944 posts
1061 upvotes
Scarborough
Why doesn't Canada offer this version?

Oct 3, 2018
11 posts
20 upvotes
Costco Canada Elavon

I use Square and am very happy with it. Never heard of Elavon, so I did some quick research online for the Canadian version. Elavon is also available for those residing in the USA.

https://www.costcopaymentprocessing.ca/index.html

Seems to be some different pricing based on online or on-site sales. Here's the text from the (*) fine print for on-site sales:

* Qualified rate is 1.50%; Reward card rate is 1.99%; Non-qualified rate is 2.07%, Premium card rate is 2.07%; Super Premium and Key entered rate is 2.90% for retail accounts. Internet and mail order/telephone order priced separately. A minimum monthly charge of $10 applies. Rates listed are for qualified transactions funded in Canadian Dollars and the offer may end without notice. Card Network Assessments apply in addition to the qualified rate. Optional rates available for U.S. dollar transactions can be requested at the time of application, and may change without notice. Other conditions may apply. For more information please call 1-866-325-3281.