Home & Garden

Squirrel in the attic but I can't find the hole. What do I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 7:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1925 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto

Squirrel in the attic but I can't find the hole. What do I do?

This little adorable pest is running around at night and grinding/scratching at whatever.

I went up during the day to the location of where it all happened but couldn't find any light coming through.
At night, when it was there and I went up, it was long gone by the time I poked my head out. I figured I could've glimpsed at it as it ran through the entrance of it's hole but no.

Should I simply set up one of those one way cage traps with bait or would I run the risk of trapping one and not trapping the others? I've read that they're smart enough to know that once one is trapped, that they'll stay away from similar traps. Not to mention there's the whole issue with baby squirrels if I do trap the mom.

I should note that I've only been through one section of the house and in the area where the grinding takes place. Given the home has an attic at 1 1/2 feet of height, it's a tad difficult to go through it. Not to mention there's no flooring so it makes it all the more harder.
I have been on the roof top and I didn't find anything at all anywhere. I've also looked around the perimeter of the home to find holes.

So what should my next step be?

My plan will be to do a very thorough search in the attic while the sun is still out while trying to not fall through the ceiling Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes and to set up the trap in the location of where I last heard it.
That's not a knife!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3222 posts
572 upvotes
London
can you watch the perimeter while someone else pops their head in the attic to scare him out? then you can find the hole and one way door it for a few days to make sure they are all out before caging it off?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1925 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
snow00774 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:54 pm
can you watch the perimeter while someone else pops their head in the attic to scare him out? then you can find the hole and one way door it for a few days to make sure they are all out before caging it off?
The last part is an excellent idea however the first part, I'm not too sure of. When I tried opening the door to the attic and quickly glance at it, it wasn't there. Either it quickly ran away or it's under the insulation scratching the inner part of the ceiling. I even went to the area where he was to check to see if there's any squirrels there but there was nothing, I left the attic and the scratching started again. This squirrel isn't easily spooked apparently.

H
That's not a knife!
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4620 posts
2425 upvotes
How do you know it’s a squirrel if you haven’t seen it? It could be mice. They scratch and claw at night, and they can squeeze through the smallest of openings.
May 22, 2016
819 posts
136 upvotes
Ontario
Try spraying around the outside of your house with a repellant. If you trap it, take it a long way from your house. As another poster said it could be mice. If you didn't find the hole its prbly mice.
Feb 10, 2008
561 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
fdl wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:44 pm
How do you know it’s a squirrel if you haven’t seen it? It could be mice. They scratch and claw at night, and they can squeeze through the smallest of openings.
+1

I had the same kind of issue and after talking to a few pest removal companies, one guy finally told me that squirrels sleep at night and it was likely a mouse. He suggested buying the mouse poison chemicals and tossing a few handfuls up into the attic since that is basically what these companies do for mice anyway. Apparently it kills them and dries up their bodies into dust balls. Not sure I believe it all, but I gave it a try and it seemed to work. No more scratching. Unfortunately, now I think I have a mouse in the wall somewhere which may be a little more challenging to get rid of...those buggers can get through very tiny little holes so finding the entry point isn't easy!
Jul 3, 2017
121 posts
57 upvotes
I hate to break it to you, but those cute squirrels are active in the daytime, while not-so-cute rats and mice are active at night. You probably need some traps.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
11166 posts
874 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Exp315 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:26 am
I hate to break it to you, but those cute squirrels are active in the daytime, while not-so-cute rats and mice are active at night. You probably need some traps.
an angry and hungry el gato..perhaps..:D
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1870 posts
31 upvotes
Happen to me before, for the whole week I try determine what animal it was, went up to the attic and couldn’t find anything. Then one day it hit me, it was one of my exhaust vent that was making the noise from the high wind, I felt so stupid but luckily no squirrels/mouse.
Dec 28, 2010
280 posts
93 upvotes
I have been putting traps for squirrels for three years now and have been succesful. Squirrels are looking for food and a warm spot. So the trap that I use is the boxed one.
As for squirrels in the attick, mine crawled up alongside the waterpipe connected to the rain gutter that went through part of the roof. They gnawed their way through. It's true that you will find the younger ones trapped quicker but as it gets colder and the bait you use is fresher (like fresh baked bread, pieces of cheese). It takes patience and making sure that the trap (food for the animal) is always fresh and at the same location. You'll get the older ones eventually, it worked with me.

The traps are about $20 on Amazon. I bought two and still use them, the same ones. After closing up the hole in the attick they moved to my barn. Which was fine by me. In the fall I leave bits of food there and when colder weather sets in, I put the food in the traps. I release them on the other side of the village (hoping someone on that side doesn't do the same on my side :) ). Good luck!

Actions speak louder than words
Oct 31, 2017
28 posts
4 upvotes
Mice r easy to trap with Victor traps and peanut butter. Squirrels, listen to cage guy. Squirrels can destroy a house so think of them as rats.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1925 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:02 pm
I have been putting traps for squirrels for three years now and have been succesful. Squirrels are looking for food and a warm spot. So the trap that I use is the boxed one.
As for squirrels in the attick, mine crawled up alongside the waterpipe connected to the rain gutter that went through part of the roof. They gnawed their way through. It's true that you will find the younger ones trapped quicker but as it gets colder and the bait you use is fresher (like fresh baked bread, pieces of cheese). It takes patience and making sure that the trap (food for the animal) is always fresh and at the same location. You'll get the older ones eventually, it worked with me.

The traps are about $20 on Amazon. I bought two and still use them, the same ones. After closing up the hole in the attick they moved to my barn. Which was fine by me. In the fall I leave bits of food there and when colder weather sets in, I put the food in the traps. I release them on the other side of the village (hoping someone on that side doesn't do the same on my side :) ). Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. However as others mentioned and as I read on some other forum, I'm starting to doubt that it's a squirrel. I can say this much, the creature scratches/grinding/moves at around 10-1am and from 4-7am.

Today I'll lay out the trap I got https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.medi ... 17671.html
If nothing gets in it, I guess it'll be best to lay out some mouse traps then.
That's not a knife!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4593 posts
817 upvotes
Markham
Are you sure they're in the attic....it could be on the roof near the soffit area.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 16, 2007
621 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
I've had squirrels in the attic and can say I'm an expert with squirrels. They've infested my attic more than once.
They do make scratching sounds in the night. I bought one of them traps from LeBaron.
No need to climb up into the attic.
I used peanut butter to catch them from my backyard. I'd catch and relocate them. Squirrels are territorial, so catching a few and you'll get the ones in the attic sooner or later.
Problem is they'll get replaced as other move into the newly vacated territory.
You'll need to get the hole patched before new occupants move in.
Finally, only put the trap out in the daytime, don't want to catch raccoons/possums/skunks, which are night time feeders.

Good luck.
May 5, 2012
57 posts
12 upvotes
Instead of looking for squirrels in your attic assuming that you have them, the easier way is to look for holes immediately under roof from outside of your house. Over the years, I did find these holes, and then plugged them. The humane way is to "ask" them out first by putting a loud radio and bright light in your attic for a few hours first before plugging the hole, or set up a one way door outside the hole.

HOLE EXAMPLES:
http://www.squirrel-attic.com/pix/squirrelattic2.jpg

https://www.ridacritter.com/Images/gall ... ch_job.jpg

PLUG OR TRAP
http://www.247wildlife.com/zsquirrelchew.jpg

http://www.squirrel-attic.com/pix/squirrelattic4.jpg