Food & Drink

Sri Lankan Takeout Recommendation! (Scarborough)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2007 9:38 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2004
382 posts
7 upvotes
Markham

Sri Lankan Takeout Recommendation! (Scarborough)

Just wanted to give everyone the heads up on a great Sri Lankan takeout restaurant in Scarborough. It's located on the North-West corner of Birchmount and Finch, but you can't see it from the road. You have to drive into the plaza as it is the inside corner unit.

I discovered it back in December, when my intention was to get something from 'Nuff Jerk, but for some reason they were closed (I believe under new management). So I stumbled upon this restaurant, Suivayakam, and I was lured in with signs of dosas, curries, etc.

I'm quite familiar with Indian food (mainly North Indian), so the Sri Lankan fair that was offered here was a bit unfamiliar to me. I noticed the had Kotthu Roti ($4 each, taxes included), which due to my ignorance I thought was similar to a West Indies style roti. I ordered two, one beef and one chicken and they came in tin-foil circular containers (to my surprise).

I discovered it was actually a roti that was sliced and diced into little bits, almost like a stir-fry cooked with vegetables, onions and the designated meats. It was fiery hot with chilli peppers and some nice citrus from a lime. Never had anything like it before, it was great. I got it again on the weekend, but kind of forgot about the restaurant in the recent months. I felt the urge for some more Sri Lankan food this week and went back to try some new things. This time, I got a curry dish (mutton curry) that came with rice and five other little side vegetable curries. The serving was huge (square styrofoam box, totally stuffed), and was only $5. Again, the mutton curry was excellent as were each of the individual vegetable side curries.

Feeling an additional urge, I went back today (they're extremely busy on weekends for lunch) and got the Banana-Leaf curry with rice (only served on Saturdays and Sundays), and a Thosai (or Dosa for Indians). Total came out to only $10, but both the taste and portions were great. The thosai came with the typical sambar, coconut chutney and rasam that most places provide. The banana-leaf package was very similar to something that the Hopper Hut makes, but this restaurant's take was preferable personally, and even cheaper in price.

I've yet to try their Biryani dishes and hoppers, but the majority of people I've seen there on weekends order the Biryani, so it must be good. Another thing to note is that the three times I've been there so far, I've been the only non South-Asian (I'm Chinese). So my impression is that if the local ethnics really like the place, then it's got to be good.

Basically wanted to spread the word about this place, I'm a big advocate of the small community restaurants. And I've always seen a lot of posts regarding Indian cuisine, so I thought I'd give the Sri Lankans a boost :P. I definitely recommend this place, the portions are generous and the prices are extremely reasonable. Hope you enjoy!
Heatware: Rhombuss
3 replies
[OP]
Oct 22, 2004
382 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
If you read the post properly, you'd have figured I have nothing to do with the owners or management of the restaurant. Just giving a recommendation of a restaurant that I've tried; this IS the Food & Drink forum, is it not?
Heatware: Rhombuss
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1939 posts
34 upvotes
Rhombuss wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2007 9:06 pm
If you read the post properly, you'd have figured I have nothing to do with the owners or management of the restaurant. Just giving a recommendation of a restaurant that I've tried; this IS the Food & Drink forum, is it not?
Nope didn't read it, just went through it. I still can't say if you have to do the restaurant or not. But your review is indeed factual!
LIFE IS PURE GENERATED EMOTION
× < >