Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1142 upvotes
Mississauga East

SSD Cache drives - are they worth it?

I just got a Z77 based mobo

One of the features is that it can use an SSD as a cache drive

Is anyone using and SSD as a cache drive in addition to a HDD to store the OS and apps?
Is it worth it?

From Asus Sabertooth Z77

[INDENT]SSD Speed with HDD Capacity
Intel® Smart Response Technology boosts overall system performance. It uses an installed fast SSD (min 18.6GB available capacity required) as a cache for frequently accessed data. Key benefits include reduced load and wait times, and lower power consumption through the elimination of unnecessary hard drive spin. This technology combines SSD performance with hard drive capacity, operating up to 6X faster than a hard drive-only system.[/INDENT]
3 replies
Sep 11, 2012
491 posts
131 upvotes
Quebec, QC
If you store OS and apps on a SSD, it's technically no longer just a 'cache drive'. Cache drive refers to when SSDs were too small and expensive to store the entire OS and apps on them. But to answer your question, yes.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
I bought a laptop with a 5400 + 32 Gb mSATA, didn't notice much difference between it and just a 5400 for the 3 days before the spinner got replaced with an SSD. Didn't bench it or anything though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I use Intel SRT on a Z68 motherboard, with a intel V24 SSD which was only 40GB, and I would say that it does improve performance somewhat, but that SSD is old and slow. It's certainly not as good as a real SSD though, and these days you can get a 120GB SSD for pretty cheap.

I guess it's only worth it if you have a old SSD like me.
There's a sucker born every minute.