• May 17th, 2014 12:17 am
Tags:
None
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes

ssd for desktop

I have a fairly new amd desktop and want to upgrade the hd to ssd. Does SSD comes with desktop sata cable and I can just plug and play? Do i need to buy adapter?

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
TheRed wrote: I have a fairly new amd desktop and want to upgrade the hd to ssd. Does SSD comes with desktop sata cable and I can just plug and play? Do i need to buy adapter?

Thanks!
Almost every PC you buy should have atleast 2 SATA ports. You'll have to buy your own sata cable, and hopefully you have a spare sata/or molex power connector.

Amazon.com has M500s on sale, just use ship to chitchat (in you live near GTA) and you'll have a reliable SSD for 60$ + tax or 80$ if you live elsewhere.

tbh 4$ is alot for a sata cable. Anyone who builds PCs will have tons of these cables.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: Almost every PC you buy should have atleast 2 SATA ports. You'll have to buy your own sata cable, and hopefully you have a spare sata/or molex power connector.

Amazon.com has M500s on sale, just use ship to chitchat (in you live near GTA) and you'll have a reliable SSD for 60$ + tax or 80$ if you live elsewhere.

tbh 4$ is alot for a sata cable. Anyone who builds PCs will have tons of these cables.
How to use chitcat and whats the cost? Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
TheRed wrote: How to use chitcat and whats the cost? Thanks
I haven't used them, so just give them a call. But asking them to ship is just a dollar more than what usps would charge (which is significantly lower than CanadaPost).
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
TheRed wrote:...Does SSD comes with desktop sata cable ...
Some retail packages include a SATA cable, Intel 530, Intel 335 series... but the majority do not include SATA cable.
TheRed wrote:...and I can just plug and play?
? If you're asking if the interface in use by the typical SSD is standard, yes, the SATA interface is standard in the computer industry.
TheRed wrote:...Do i need to buy adapter?
Depends on your case and/or SSD purchase.
Some computer cases have bays that accommodate 2.5" drives and others do not.
Some retail packages of SSD, such as Intel mentioned above and Plextor M5 Pro series, include a 2.5" to 3.5" adapters. Check for contents list prior to purchase.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1868 posts
493 upvotes
TORONTO
Or just let it hang in the open thats what I do lol
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Don't forget the fact that you have to migrate all your data to the SSD, or if its all new, install Windows on it. I usually just use a disk cloning utility to clone the disk and it just boots of the new one and you are good to go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)