• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2017 2:47 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor

St Clair College Diagnostic Medical Sonography Applicants/Students

I'm starting this thread to see if there's anyone else out there roaming the web looking for information about St Clair College's Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. I have applied for Fall 2013, and I've heard rumours about how over 600 people apply for only 28 spots. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there knows admissions statistics and information, or possibly is a current student in the program or knows a student in the program who can give information on the admissions averages of other students etc; this waiting is driving me crazy, I applied October 1st and have up to 2 more months of waiting to hear if I got in or not!

What I know is: I emailed St Clair over a year ago asking how to increase my chances of getting in, and I was about to take a physics course to complete all of the prerequisites at the time. The email I got back stated:

"I would strongly recommend if your grade is below an A, you consider taking a physics in the Winter semester as well."

This makes me assume that many, many applicants have straight A's in their prerequisite courses, so even though I have all A's in the prerequisites it doesn't really set me apart from anyone else. What worries me more is that all of my prerequisites were taken at St. Clair, which uses letter grades with no + or -, and I will be competing with students from high school and other institutions that have more precise percentage grades. What does an A translate to percentage-wise for admissions decisions?? An A is 80-100, a huge range - does that mean an A is translated to 90?
We also do not receive information about how we did on the HOAE so I'm just left guessing.

Another question I have is that I know the BSc Nursing program tends to favour students fresh out of high school and leaves only a few spots for older students (I am 26 with a university degree in an unrelated field), is this the same for Sonography?

I hope there are some people out there with some more information! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE*

Anyone who has been admitted to Diagnostic Medical Sonography for Fall 2013 at St. Clair College, please join the conversation so we can maybe get to know each other a little before classes start! :)
370 replies
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
Hi Windsy

I am also applying to this program this year after completing a year of pre health science at another college. All of my grades were A+ and I called St. Clair and they said they register in the system as 90%. This program uses a 50/50 split of HOAE test results and grades in the required courses. I heard that the minimum average of HOAE results and grades last year was an 86% to be accepted.

I am also impatiently waiting for some more information, I heard that we will know if we are accepted by March 29th. Let me know if you hear anything! And I'll do the same :)
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
Finally, a reply! lol

Thanks for the info, do you have any idea if we will ever receive the results of our HOAE's?

I don't want to get our hopes up, but last year I know of one person who received their offer of admission around March 14, during the college's March Break, and this year March Break is from the 11th-15th... It would be great if it was the same this year. That would mean only 2 weeks or less until decisions are sent out! :-s

I'll post on here as soon as I hear anything :)
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
I don't think that the results for HOAE are released. I emailed someone in the registrar and they told me St. Clair doesn't release HOAE results. However, if you applied to any other colleges that required the HOAE, your results will be emailed to you if requested after March 10th.

It would be great to find out in the next week or so about admissions. The wait is killing me! I'll be sure to post if I hear anything too, good luck :)
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
It's too bad I didn't apply anywhere else, I'd like to know how I did on the HOAE :(

I just wanted to share what I found on St. Clair College's Facebook page.. Someone asked when they might hear if they got into the Sonography program and someone at the college replied stating that after the last HOAE tests (which was March 2nd), the tests are evaluated and scores are determined. We should be hearing by mid March, and if we don't hear anything by March 20th, we can contact Lesli at 519-972-2727 ext 4571.

Good luck to you too and I hope we hear something very soon :)

Did you apply to any other programs?
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
Thanks for the info!

I also applied to some x-ray tech programs as a back up to sonography, and received acceptance to Fanshawe's Medical Radiation Technology. I was going to apply to McMaster's MedRad program where you specialize in Sonography in the 2nd year, but they only look at high school grades, not pre-health so I wouldn't likely get in.

Do you have a back-up if sonography doesn't work out?
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
Well congrats on your acceptance to Fanshawe!
I share custody of my son so I don't want to leave Windsor and I was forced to just apply to St. Clair. My back up is Medical Laboratory Science, but I've heard Med Lab is insanely difficult so I'm really hoping to get into Sonography - not that I'm expecting it to be an easy program whatsoever.
I'm actually considering applying to another college just to see if I can get the results of my HOAE haha
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
I applied to Georgian College for practical nursing yesterday because I saw that the program was still open and required the HOAE, and today I got an email with my student ID. I logged into their "Web for Admissions" site and they have a link that shows your HOAE scores. I'm so glad I finally know how I did since I took the test January 12th. I wish St. Clair had the same set-up where you could view you application online, see that your documents have been received and the results of your HOAE. Anyway, time to cancel that application and wait for decisions from St. Clair.. I know I'm a weirdo I just couldn't have gone on with my life without knowing how I did on that test lol
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
Haha it doesn't seem weird at all I might do the same thing!!

How did you do on the HOAE?
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
I'm really happy with how I did, even though I have no idea how other applicants did. They list the Raw Score, and Normalized Score. I'm not quite sure how the normalized score works, I've read some places that it is how you rank compared to other applicants, but on Georgians website it says that it is the percentage received for that test... anyway I hope I did well lol

Academic Aptitude: raw 66, normalized 89
Spelling: raw 40, normalized 88
Reading Comprehension: raw 32, normalized 91
Information in the Natural Sciences: raw 54, normalized 93

They didn't list how I did on the vocation adjustment part though?
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
Wow those are great scores! Congrats, I also applied to Georgian.. Still waiting for a student number to check my scores. I'm clearly very impatient. Hahah!
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
hahah I applied yesterday at 5pm and got my email today at 12:30pm, so hopefully you get your email early tomorrow afternoon! :)
Feb 23, 2011
34 posts
Just got my results and they average an overall 81.5, so if I combine that with my grades it averages 85.75. So I might be directly on or below the cut off. Hopefully it works out, but if not i at least have a back up. :)
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
Congrats! :) I hope it works out for both of us. As of right now, I don't even know if I have a back up plan lol I guess I'll find out around the same time I find out about Sonography.
Hopefully we will both be posting on here next week with good news! :D
Sep 4, 2006
31 posts
Tilbury
You guys are genius! I have been dying to know what my HOAE score is, but St. Clair doesn't release them, and no other school I've applied to requires them. I just applied to Georgian solely for the purpose of getting my scores thanks to your brilliant suggestion. Thanks for saving my sanity (partially - waiting to find out if I've been accepted is driving me crazy, too!). I've actually applied to the Med Lab Science program - sorry for hijacking your thread, but I didn't think you'd mind. :) I've been accepted to 3 of the 5 programs I've applied to, but I really am leaning towards wanting to get into St. Clair.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel