Students

St Clair College Diagnostic Medical Sonography Applicants/Students

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 7:06 pm
Mar 23, 2016
15 posts
6 upvotes
Currently waitlisted in the #9 position. I was waitlisted last year and was put in spot #30 and wasn't accepted, so fingers crossed that I get in this year~

If not, I did get accepted into Medical Radiation Technology at Fanshawe, so there's always a backup plan. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

For those that have gotten their acceptance, are the offers conditional? I'm currently in Pre-Health, so I'm not sure if there's a certain GPA that I have to maintain just in case.
Feb 26, 2016
37 posts
6 upvotes
nutella2017 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:45 pm
I was informed today that I am on the wait list. And I should Call back during the first week of May.
Let the wait begins! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
You can probably email Leslie and ask what number on the waitlist you are to get a better idea if you wanted. That's what I did last year! :)
Mar 19, 2017
1 posts
Hi Everyone!I found out I'm on the waitlist for DMS, but I am pretty sure that I am not high enough on the list to make it for the fall. I did however get accepted into Algonquin College for MRT.

Can anyone give me any knowledge on career paths for both DMS and MRT and if there is a huge salary difference? Basically, what are the main differences between MRT and DMS (besides the actual obvious job part)?

I guess I'm asking because I wondering if I should just continue with the MRT pathway or wait a year and apply for DMS again? In case it matter, I will be graduating this year from a bachelor's degree in science.

Would love to know everyone's general opinion on both careers and what your long term plans are? :)

Congratulations to everyone who did get into the program. :)
Jan 18, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
leafers wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:36 pm
You can probably email Leslie and ask what number on the waitlist you are to get a better idea if you wanted. That's what I did last year! :)
My waitlist number is 4. :) I wanted to come to the open house. But I am not able to make it on 25th. I hope I'll get updates from here.
Apr 2, 2008
58 posts
3 upvotes
London
nutella2017 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:39 pm
My waitlist number is 4. :) I wanted to come to the open house. But I am not able to make it on 25th. I hope I'll get updates from here.
How were you notified you are on the waitlist? Does that show up on OCAS or did you contact St Clair directly to ask?
Jan 18, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
Rvd13 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:23 am
How were you notified you are on the waitlist? Does that show up on OCAS or did you contact St Clair directly to ask?
I called Leslie at St. Clair and she informed me about the waitlist.
Feb 13, 2017
22 posts
7 upvotes
Those who are already in the program. Where do u get your books from? They are pretty expensive; some being over $500. Is there a cheaper way of getting them? Also, do new editions come out often, in case I find used ones?
Any info is greatly appreciated!!!
Feb 1, 2016
51 posts
18 upvotes
Windsor, ON
For first semester I price matched most of the books from the school store with Amazon. There is a really expensive book which is over 500 you don't have to get it until second semester I don't have it still but I have a digital copy of it I got off someone but I do plan on purchasing it in the future.
Feb 13, 2017
22 posts
7 upvotes
Ivgotsunshine51 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 10:34 pm
For first semester I price matched most of the books from the school store with Amazon. There is a really expensive book which is over 500 you don't have to get it until second semester I don't have it still but I have a digital copy of it I got off someone but I do plan on purchasing it in the future.
Do you mean that the store matched its prices to those of amazon? I've noticed ordering from amazon.com turns out way cheaper than amazon.ca. But, not sure about the quality of books((
Also, do new graduates sell their used books often?
Thank u so much, Ivegotsunshine 51Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Feb 1, 2016
51 posts
18 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Sally781 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 5:25 am
Do you mean that the store matched its prices to those of amazon? I've noticed ordering from amazon.com turns out way cheaper than amazon.ca. But, not sure about the quality of books((
Also, do new graduates sell their used books often?
Thank u so much, Ivegotsunshine 51Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
They matched them with Amazon.ca it did end up saving me alot :) and i've heard most grads keep their books well into their careers but i'm sure someone out there may be selling used books maybe try checking kijiji.
Feb 13, 2017
22 posts
7 upvotes
Ivgotsunshine51 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 9:51 pm
They matched them with Amazon.ca it did end up saving me alot :) and i've heard most grads keep their books well into their careers but i'm sure someone out there may be selling used books maybe try checking kijiji.
It's good to know they do price matching. Thank u so much, Ivgotsunshine51, for taking out of your time to answer my questions.Slightly Smiling Face
Mar 23, 2017
4 posts
Txelmo wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:27 pm
Hi Everyone!I found out I'm on the waitlist for DMS, but I am pretty sure that I am not high enough on the list to make it for the fall. I did however get accepted into Algonquin College for MRT.

Can anyone give me any knowledge on career paths for both DMS and MRT and if there is a huge salary difference? Basically, what are the main differences between MRT and DMS (besides the actual obvious job part)?

I guess I'm asking because I wondering if I should just continue with the MRT pathway or wait a year and apply for DMS again? In case it matter, I will be graduating this year from a bachelor's degree in science.

Would love to know everyone's general opinion on both careers and what your long term plans are? :)

Congratulations to everyone who did get into the program. :)
Congrats for getting into Algonquin! I am interested in that program as well, is it strictly based on high school grades to get in? Is there additional requirement(s) (ex. interview, additional test) What is the competitive average? Are all provinces considered equally?

DMS and MRT are both similar in a sense that they are both diagnosing meaning both jobs are primarily focused on obtaining images, just using different methods. In terms of salary, sonographer makes slightly more..but it isn't a huge difference. I do know that there is currently more jobs available for sonographers, however x-ray techs are still high in demand.
Feb 13, 2017
22 posts
7 upvotes
nutella2017 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:39 pm
Your position on the waitlist looks very promising. Really hope u get in. Will check here for updates in early May. Good luck!
Feb 13, 2017
22 posts
7 upvotes
Abou85 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:10 pm
I am on the wait list #15
You still have a good chance. Good luck!