Students

St Clair College Diagnostic Medical Sonography Applicants/Students

Mar 27, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
becca6779 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 3:56 pm
It doesn't hurt to look into other programs as well! I was initially set on studying DMS, but ultimately decided not to pursue it (heavier physical demands, internship placements, certain procedures I would not be comfortable w/ performing, job demand, etc.). I made the decision to go into MLS in these last few weeks and have no regrets. Having said all of that, there are pros/cons to both programs and they both lead to excellent careers, it just depends on what you would feel fulfilled with pursuing!
Its now too late :( i just assumed i would get in and chose a couple irrelevant courses to fill the other spots on my application...i was clearly unprepaired for the difficulty i would have...all the other programs that i am interested are past due and oversubscribed (of course). I have 3 children and had a good career and was recently laid off from my position so i only had about a week or 2 to decide what i was going to do with my life...im really kickng myself in the butt now! Just wish i wouldve had the time to really decide properly, do more research and understand the difficulty in getting into the program
Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
Mi320909 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 5:22 pm
Its now too late :( i just assumed i would get in and chose a couple irrelevant courses to fill the other spots on my application...i was clearly unprepaired for the difficulty i would have...all the other programs that i am interested are past due and oversubscribed (of course). I have 3 children and had a good career and was recently laid off from my position so i only had about a week or 2 to decide what i was going to do with my life...im really kickng myself in the butt now! Just wish i wouldve had the time to really decide properly, do more research and understand the difficulty in getting into the program
I am sorry. It's not too late, however, if you still want to apply for the next cycle. If you need to improve your grades, definitely look into the ACE program at St. Clair (http://www.stclaircollege.ca/programs/c ... nline.html). I believe that it is free of charge, but you'd want to double-check that. Also, w/ the DMS internships, they can place you anywhere in Ontario (up to Thunder Bay), which may be difficult w/ young children.
Feb 1, 2016
68 posts
24 upvotes
Windsor, ON
For those on the wait list you may still get in wait list went up to number 20 last year.
Mar 26, 2018
12 posts
2 upvotes
Ivgotsunshine51 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 7:46 pm
For those on the wait list you may still get in wait list went up to number 20 last year.
Do they eventually post waitlist on OCAS, or contact you in someway to know if you're on it?
Feb 1, 2016
68 posts
24 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Katie222 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 7:54 pm
Do they eventually post waitlist on OCAS, or contact you in someway to know if you're on it?
I remember emailing and calling to see where I was on the list.
Jan 8, 2018
28 posts
2 upvotes
Hi Becca,

I am going to start MLS at St. Clair from this fall. Do you have information about class schedule? Like how many days in a week, how many hours etc? I am asking as I have a toddler and I have to be on my own with her, because at this moment my husband will not be able to move with us. So, I have to arrange lots of thins to get started!! If I get some information that would be really helpful for me....
Thank you....I will looking forward to your reply.
Mar 27, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Just so those in the DMS program know...i emailed Lesli, and i am #68 on the wait list...lol, so no chance for me. I had a 90% avg in all 5 pre reqs, but only did 'fair' on my HOAE exam. She told me that she is still awaiting seveal mid term grades to come in, so i could move up or down depending the outcome. She said that we will not the order of the waitlist until May 1st. So try and be patient until then. Good luck to you all!!!! Maybe i'll try again next year :)
Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
fauzia87 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:38 pm
Hi Becca,

I am going to start MLS at St. Clair from this fall. Do you have information about class schedule? Like how many days in a week, how many hours etc? I am asking as I have a toddler and I have to be on my own with her, because at this moment my husband will not be able to move with us. So, I have to arrange lots of thins to get started!! If I get some information that would be really helpful for me....
Thank you....I will looking forward to your reply.
Hi Fauzia,

Sorry, I don't know any of those details yet. Definitely call/email Jess Lacasse (MLS program coordinator -- http://www.stclaircollege.ca/programs/postsec/medlab/), though... I would think that she could tell you about the weekly hours, schedule, etc..
Jan 8, 2018
28 posts
2 upvotes
becca6779 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 3:37 pm
Hi Fauzia,

Sorry, I don't know any of those details yet. Definitely call/email Jess Lacasse (MLS program coordinator -- http://www.stclaircollege.ca/programs/postsec/medlab/), though... I would think that she could tell you about the weekly hours, schedule, etc..
Thank you for the reply and Please no worries. I will contact college for more details....
Mar 26, 2018
12 posts
2 upvotes
I got my acceptance to St-Clair for MLS last night once my English mark went though!! :) So excited!

So hopefully I will get to meet a lot of you in the fall! Goodluck to everyone still waiting to hear!
Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
Katie222 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 1:25 pm
I got my acceptance to St-Clair for MLS last night once my English mark went though!! :) So excited!

So hopefully I will get to meet a lot of you in the fall! Goodluck to everyone still waiting to hear!
Yay!!! I am so happy to hear that! I look forward to meeting you next year! :)
Mar 1, 2018
21 posts
7 upvotes
Anymore St. Clair DMS acceptances? Anyone who turn theirs down? lol
Mar 14, 2018
12 posts
7 upvotes
A question to those in / graduated from the program..
I am looking at the semester breakdown on the St Clair website and from other posts I know there are 3 clinical placements, the first being 8 weeks (this means we get 2 months of summer?) and the other placements 14 weeks but wanted to confirm. As well as semester 6, is this a full term or half term? Thanks!
Mar 20, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
Hey,
So you do get July and August off the first year. Same with the second year. In semester 6 (which we will be starting in May) it's not a full semester.. it's 6 weeks of intense review and the second OB course every day. We can write the physics core exam on June 15th (which is the last day of the semester) so they're trying to prepare us for that, and for the generalist exam (it has OB/GYN, Abdominal and superficial structures and vascular as 3 different exams you write on the same day) we have to write next February.
Feb 27, 2018
45 posts
26 upvotes
Mi320909 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2018 3:36 pm
I just reallllly wish I knew what I was getting into before applying for DMS. I assumed i would get in as i was only told it was a competitive program NOT a pretty much impossible task with my marks. Then to see this thread and really understand the difficulty that people have been having for years...needing literally 95% or higher for prerecs and pretty much a perfect HOAE test...im soo frustrated. Well i REALLY congratulate those who made it because you would have had to work VERY hard! I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST and will let you know how far down the list i am, if at all lol.
hi mi320909

im sorry you had to be so rushed in your choices to find another job/career, that cant be easy. it doesnt help that applications are only once a year.
I will say however that it is not impossible to get in. if you get over 95% avg for high school and do decently well on HOAE youre pretty much guarenteed a spot. but for others like myself who had a high 80 avg and did pretty well on on the HOAE(not at all like some crazy test that needs to be studied like the MCAT) its possible to get in. im #2 on the waiting list and im pretty sure ill get in.

Honestly if it was just based on marks, i dont think i wouldve gotten into this program. but the HOAE most likely helped me out. bottom line, dont beat yourself up too hard, its not impossible but make sure you research in depth what each career or job has to offer and how the path to achieve it is. you just cant rush things as important as that.

Hopefully you can find a job (would be cool if you could use your current experience and find a similar job like you had previously but I dont know you so im sure youve already thought of that) in the meantime to take care of those kiddies of yours ( i think i want 4 but i might be over achieving there haha).