Students

St Clair College Diagnostic Medical Sonography Applicants/Students

Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
Mohankeneh wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 9:15 pm
hi mi320909

im sorry you had to be so rushed in your choices to find another job/career, that cant be easy. it doesnt help that applications are only once a year.
I will say however that it is not impossible to get in. if you get over 95% avg for high school and do decently well on HOAE youre pretty much guarenteed a spot. but for others like myself who had a high 80 avg and did pretty well on on the HOAE(not at all like some crazy test that needs to be studied like the MCAT) its possible to get in. im #2 on the waiting list and im pretty sure ill get in.

Honestly if it was just based on marks, i dont think i wouldve gotten into this program. but the HOAE most likely helped me out. bottom line, dont beat yourself up too hard, its not impossible but make sure you research in depth what each career or job has to offer and how the path to achieve it is. you just cant rush things as important as that.

Hopefully you can find a job (would be cool if you could use your current experience and find a similar job like you had previously but I dont know you so im sure youve already thought of that) in the meantime to take care of those kiddies of yours ( i think i want 4 but i might be over achieving there haha).
Did you write the MCAT, as well, once upon a time?! I wrote it twice. Getting accepted into Ontario/Canadian medical schools is such a crap shoot now.Neutral Face Having said that, I have never felt as settled as I do now choosing to study medical lab science next year. You are right, studying for the HOAE is not as insane of a task as preparing for the HOAE.... However, I do wish that there was somewhat of a decent study guide for the HOAE (I looked through 3-4 before getting frustrated and giving up). I just decided to trust my instinct and prepare for what I felt that could somewhat be prepared for (math, spelling, nonverbal/patterns, reading comprehension).

I accepted my MLS offer right away, which automatically 'declined' a DMS offer (did anyone else notice that under their 'activity' tab?). I am curious to know if I would have been accepted or waitlisted, though it would not have mattered. My prerequisite average was 90.4, and I scored 261/305 (total) and 29 (reading comprehension) on the HOAE. Shouldn't have been so quick to act.Winking Face
Apr 22, 2017
7 posts
becca6779 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 11:33 pm
Did you write the MCAT, as well, once upon a time?! I wrote it twice. Getting accepted into Ontario/Canadian medical schools is such a crap shoot now.Neutral Face Having said that, I have never felt as settled as I do now choosing to study medical lab science next year. You are right, studying for the HOAE is not as insane of a task as preparing for the HOAE.... However, I do wish that there was somewhat of a decent study guide for the HOAE (I looked through 3-4 before getting frustrated and giving up). I just decided to trust my instinct and prepare for what I felt that could somewhat be prepared for (math, spelling, nonverbal/patterns, reading comprehension).

I accepted my MLS offer right away, which automatically 'declined' a DMS offer (did anyone else notice that under their 'activity' tab?). I am curious to know if I would have been accepted or waitlisted, though it would not have mattered. My prerequisite average was 90.4, and I scored 261/305 (total) and 29 (reading comprehension) on the HOAE. Shouldn't have been so quick to act.Winking Face
Accepting one offer doesn't automatically decline the another offer.. Lesli told me that. Did you get an offer in DMS? Is it still there under the offers tab and showing "declined" or you r assuming that you probably got an offer. Just asking out of curiosity..
Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
Raihan123 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 12:26 am
Accepting one offer doesn't automatically decline the another offer.. Lesli told me that. Did you get an offer in DMS? Is it still there under the offers tab and showing "declined" or you r assuming that you probably got an offer. Just asking out of curiosity..

That was my assumption, i.e. that accepting one offer wouldn't decline another. However, when my "accept" was submitted to St. Clair for MLS via OCAS, I noticed that a "decline" was simultaneously submitted also to St. Clair for DMS. It was under the "activity" tab. So I don't know what to think. I am not assuming anything re: having received an offer for DMS. I have only received the physical letter confirming my MLS... Have heard no word about DMS, waitlisted or otherwise. I wouldn't contact Lesli as it doesn't matter either way, but that seemed strange to me. I will try to upload a screenshot in the morning to follow this up.
Last edited by b1h2j3 on Apr 2nd, 2018 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
This is what I am referring to.... Also, no "offer" via OCAS was sent for DMS, just fo MLS (10PM on the 24th)... But the offers for DMS were updated to OCAS later on that Monday, after the "decline" was sent from my account.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.18.02 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.17.06 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.17.26 AM.png
Apr 22, 2017
7 posts
becca6779 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 2:14 am
That was my assumption, i.e. that accepting one offer wouldn't decline another. However, when my "accept" was submitted to St. Clair for MLS via OCAS, I noticed that a "decline" was simultaneously submitted also to St. Clair for DMS. It was under the "activity" tab. So I don't know what to think. I am not assuming anything re: having received an offer for DMS. I have only received the physical letter confirming my MLS... Have heard no word about DMS, waitlisted or otherwise. I wouldn't contact Lesli as it doesn't matter either way, but that seemed strange to me. I will try to upload a screenshot in the morning to follow this up.
Yes, exactly same thing happenned to me last year. When I accepted Resp Therapy, MLS was declined automatically but it was on the offer list. I had no idea and not interested either. This year, my friend has been waitlisted for DMS and she is in #1 position in waiting list. She has other offers too and Lesli asked her to accept one of the offers as they will not call anyone from the waitlist befor May 1st and the expiry date of the other offers is also May 1st. So, she is in a dilemma what to do!! If she accepts any other offer just for safety, then will she get a call from DMS later? or not? If u have denied the offer from DMS the she is definitely in.. Strange situation!! I don't know how can we make it clear.. :(
Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
Raihan123 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 3:15 am
Yes, exactly same thing happenned to me last year. When I accepted Resp Therapy, MLS was declined automatically but it was on the offer list. I had no idea and not interested either. This year, my friend has been waitlisted for DMS and she is in #1 position in waiting list. She has other offers too and Lesli asked her to accept one of the offers as they will not call anyone from the waitlist befor May 1st and the expiry date of the other offers is also May 1st. So, she is in a dilemma what to do!! If she accepts any other offer just for safety, then will she get a call from DMS later? or not? If u have denied the offer from DMS the she is definitely in.. Strange situation!! I don't know how can we make it clear.. :(
I think that I will email Lesli tomorrow re: this, along with screenshots... I understand what you are relaying to me from Lesli, but what I am seeing on OCAS kind of suggests otherwise. Grimacing Face
Feb 27, 2018
45 posts
26 upvotes
becca6779 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 11:33 pm

haha I gave up on trying to apply to canadian medical schools, if i would have a chance i would have to take an extra like 3 years to build up my "Resume" for them and maybe improve some marks here and there just so that i can be competitive. i would go international but being able to come back and practice is absurdly difficult and not worth the risk when youll have 100's of thousands in debt.
Mar 21, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
Raihan123 wrote:
If your friend is #1 on the waitlist, she is 99.9999% set to have a spot. I have emailed Lesli, just waiting to hear back.Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes Doesn't really matter for myself, but I am curious how I did... DMS was my preferred choice up until about 3 weeks ago.
Mar 24, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys! I applied for DMS, cardiovascular technology as well as respiratory therapy, I recieved offers for cardio and resp, no word on DMS yet so I emailed Lesli today and asked if i was waitlisted and if so where on the waitlist. Hopefully she emails me back so I can start making a decision. I assume because of the deadline most people on the waitlist wont get offers until after May 1st when everyone has made their final decisions.
Mar 14, 2018
12 posts
7 upvotes
ShannonO188376 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 5:38 pm
Hey guys! I applied for DMS, cardiovascular technology as well as respiratory therapy, I recieved offers for cardio and resp, no word on DMS yet so I emailed Lesli today and asked if i was waitlisted and if so where on the waitlist. Hopefully she emails me back so I can start making a decision. I assume because of the deadline most people on the waitlist wont get offers until after May 1st when everyone has made their final decisions.
Welcome! Are you leaning toward one program over the others?
Mar 24, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
So far between cardio and resp I am leaning more towards cardio. I would like to hear back from Lesli just so I know. I havnt really looked into DMS yet like I have the other 2 just because those are the ones they sent me offers to.
Mar 23, 2017
19 posts
I am selling sonography textbook for cheap, message me if interested! I am selling 50% regular price, most are in great condition. Some brand new condition with no highlights/marks.
Last edited by leed10 on Apr 3rd, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 2, 2018
25 posts
5 upvotes
Raihan123 wrote:
Hi!

I heard Lesli earlier today. Even though DMS up as 'declined' on OCAS (when I accepted the MLS offer), my application is still in the system w/ St. Clair. I was also waitlisted (#15), but officially withdrew my application on OCAS a few minutes ago, as I would much prefer a career as an MLT. Good Luck to all of you who are waitlisted for this program!
Mar 23, 2016
17 posts
6 upvotes
Raihan123 wrote:
I was in the same situation as your friend last year. I was waitlisted (#11 I believe) for DMS and didn't think I'd get in, so I accepted another offer for Med Rad before May 1st. I even had to pay my deposit for that program (it was in Fanshawe, so couldn't transfer it), but then towards the end of June I got an email back with an acceptance offer for DMS. With her being in the #1 spot, she'll definitely get an offer, but it doesn't hurt to have a backup. It shouldn't cancel the other offers, at least, it didn't for me and even Lesli is suggesting it.
Feb 26, 2016
41 posts
10 upvotes
2 years ago I applied for DMS, and was waitlisted. I was panicking about not getting in, and thinking I needed better grades or whatever so I applied to the Pre-Health program at St. Clair as they were still taking applications. I got an offer into that, and accepted it, not knowing if I would get into DMS off of the waitlist. I luckily was offered a spot in DMS, and accepted the offer when Lesli emailed me with it. I also asked her if I had to do anything manually on OCAS like delete my other offer/acceptance, but she relied that they'd taken care of everything. And here I am today... 2 years later, graduating at the end of this year :)

In summary, accepting one offer does not take you off of the waitlist.