• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2013 9:21 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 11, 2013
20 posts
sykt36 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2013 11:19 pm
Hey, thanks a lot for the info! And I haven't read anything about CPR or first aid but I do know we have to get all that done before we do our placements, so I'm assuming we need to get that done near the end of second year. By the way, I'm going to St Clair college for a tour in a couple of days, will let you know how that goes.
Thanks!!, hopefully the campus looks good lol
[OP]
Jan 22, 2013
34 posts
mysterion wrote:
Jul 11th, 2013 10:13 pm
Thanks!!, hopefully the campus looks good lol
It actually looks pretty good, the health science building looked the nicest and our labs are on the top floor. The residence is really nice as well, its a hotel style as they rent rooms out during the summer. During orientation week they will be showing us all of that. I found out from the tour guide that we would be wearing scrubs and all the med lab science students have to wear the same colour and they sell them during orientation week. I think we have classes in the main building and the labs in the health science building. They're building a new gym which is going to be really big but won't be open until second semester. She also said we probably won't need all the textbooks and that if its on reserve in the library not to buy it. I hope that helps, if i think of anything else I'll post it on here. I hope we get our schedule and orientation package soon as that has all the information!
Mar 11, 2013
20 posts
sykt36 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2013 10:22 pm
It actually looks pretty good, the health science building looked the nicest and our labs are on the top floor. The residence is really nice as well, its a hotel style as they rent rooms out during the summer. During orientation week they will be showing us all of that. I found out from the tour guide that we would be wearing scrubs and all the med lab science students have to wear the same colour and they sell them during orientation week. I think we have classes in the main building and the labs in the health science building. They're building a new gym which is going to be really big but won't be open until second semester. She also said we probably won't need all the textbooks and that if its on reserve in the library not to buy it. I hope that helps, if i think of anything else I'll post it on here. I hope we get our schedule and orientation package soon as that has all the information!
that sounds pretty awesome, I heard that their current gym isnt very good and thats great news for textbooks as well, hopefully we'll get the orientation info soon cause I want to get my immunizations out of the way
[OP]
Jan 22, 2013
34 posts
mysterion wrote:
Jul 17th, 2013 1:45 pm
that sounds pretty awesome, I heard that their current gym isnt very good and thats great news for textbooks as well, hopefully we'll get the orientation info soon cause I want to get my immunizations out of the way
Yea, they're current gym is very small and has one treadmill and elliptical. I hope we get it soon too as well as our login information into the system to access our schedule.
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
sykt36 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2013 11:17 pm
Yea, they're current gym is very small and has one treadmill and elliptical. I hope we get it soon too as well as our login information into the system to access our schedule.
Hey go to this link for instructions on how to log in to self service
http://www.stclaircollege.ca/stclairspa ... login.html
Schedules aren't up yet but if you see an "enrollment" tab once you're logged in, select "grades" and then select fall 2013. You'll be able to see the classes you're enrolled in and if you click on each individual course it will show you the date and time they are held each week and you can put together a schedule for yourself. But I know some people in my program don't see an enrollment tab when they log in to self service yet..
Also, no one in my program has received an information package about the health requirements and we are all getting anxious since it could take a while to complete everything and the first day of school isn't that far away...
[OP]
Jan 22, 2013
34 posts
Windsy12345 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2013 1:46 am
Hey go to this link for instructions on how to log in to self service
http://www.stclaircollege.ca/stclairspa ... login.html
Schedules aren't up yet but if you see an "enrollment" tab once you're logged in, select "grades" and then select fall 2013. You'll be able to see the classes you're enrolled in and if you click on each individual course it will show you the date and time they are held each week and you can put together a schedule for yourself. But I know some people in my program don't see an enrollment tab when they log in to self service yet..
Also, no one in my program has received an information package about the health requirements and we are all getting anxious since it could take a while to complete everything and the first day of school isn't that far away...
Hey, thank you for the information, I logged in and was able to view the courses I am enrolled in. I had to click on Self Service and it all came below it.
Jan 24, 2013
114 posts
8 upvotes
Windsor
sykt36 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2013 6:22 pm
Hey, thank you for the information, I logged in and was able to view the courses I am enrolled in. I had to click on Self Service and it all came below it.
Actually, schedules just became available! I'm surprised with how early they got them posted :)
Still not impressed with how long it's taking to get the information package regarding health requirements though! :mad:
[OP]
Jan 22, 2013
34 posts
Windsy12345 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2013 9:25 am
Actually, schedules just became available! I'm surprised with how early they got them posted :)
Still not impressed with how long it's taking to get the information package regarding health requirements though! :mad:
Yea, I was able to see the courses I was enrolled in but I'm able to see it in schedule format now. I hope we get an information package very soon as we don't have that many days left!
Sep 4, 2006
31 posts
Tilbury
Hi, all. I'm enrolled in the Medical Laboratory Science program for the fall and I'm really looking forward to it. I was on campus yesterday and got my student ID. I moved to the area from the GTA, so will not be living in residence.

I do however, have all my health forms completed - I did that before I moved at the end of May. I downloaded the forms and got started on them as soon as I could because it can take a few months to get all the necessary immunizations, etc. Here's a link for those who are interested: http://www.stclaircollege.ca/studentser ... _forms.pdf. I assume that's the forms everyone is referring to. The form has now been updated to say they need to be returned at least 7 days before the start of the program, but if they've not been sent out to people yet, and it can take up to 2 months to complete all the immunizations, how can they be submitted in that time frame?

As far as I know, CPR is not required until clinicals start, which would be the third year. I'm guessing we can complete the course on campus, as I know it's offered there.

If anyone is interested in sharing schedules to see if we have any classes together, I'd be happy to do that. PM me. And maybe we could meet for coffee or something before classes start so we know someone at orientation. :) Nothing like going into something new and not knowing anyone at all!

I'm on the hunt for textbooks now. I'm planning to buy them used as they are cheaper, but would like to get them from online or somewhere other than the bookstore, if possible, as they are less expensive that way. I'm having issues finding the right editions for some of them, which is annoying. You can get the book list from the bookstore online, but they won't give you ISBNs. I also have a list of ISBNs now (pretty sure they're the right ones after a lot of research!) if anyone would like them. PM me for that, too. There are 2 classes that don't have the book names available yet.

Sorry for the long-winded post! :)
[OP]
Jan 22, 2013
34 posts
mapleaf wrote:
Jul 24th, 2013 11:06 am
Hi, all. I'm enrolled in the Medical Laboratory Science program for the fall and I'm really looking forward to it. I was on campus yesterday and got my student ID. I moved to the area from the GTA, so will not be living in residence.

I do however, have all my health forms completed - I did that before I moved at the end of May. I downloaded the forms and got started on them as soon as I could because it can take a few months to get all the necessary immunizations, etc. Here's a link for those who are interested: http://www.stclaircollege.ca/studentser ... _forms.pdf. I assume that's the forms everyone is referring to. The form has now been updated to say they need to be returned at least 7 days before the start of the program, but if they've not been sent out to people yet, and it can take up to 2 months to complete all the immunizations, how can they be submitted in that time frame?

As far as I know, CPR is not required until clinicals start, which would be the third year. I'm guessing we can complete the course on campus, as I know it's offered there.

If anyone is interested in sharing schedules to see if we have any classes together, I'd be happy to do that. PM me. And maybe we could meet for coffee or something before classes start so we know someone at orientation. :) Nothing like going into something new and not knowing anyone at all!

I'm on the hunt for textbooks now. I'm planning to buy them used as they are cheaper, but would like to get them from online or somewhere other than the bookstore, if possible, as they are less expensive that way. I'm having issues finding the right editions for some of them, which is annoying. You can get the book list from the bookstore online, but they won't give you ISBNs. I also have a list of ISBNs now (pretty sure they're the right ones after a lot of research!) if anyone would like them. PM me for that, too. There are 2 classes that don't have the book names available yet.

Sorry for the long-winded post! :)
Hey, it nice to have another classmate on this forum. I haven’t gotten my health forms completed yet; you’re on the ball with getting it done so fast. However, I’m not sure if we have to have the health requirements done before we start school or before we start our placement, because our placement will be in August of 2015 and by then 2013 health records will be too old for some of the tests.
I’ll PM you my schedule and we can meet up for coffee but I’m not sure when I’ll be in Windsor before orientation as I will be in the GTA all summer.
I had messaged a current student and they had told me that the first year textbooks weren’t too necessary but to get the general lab knowledge book for sure and get to know it pretty well as we will need to know it in upper years. When I went for a tour of the campus, my tour guide told me to use books on course reserve unless the teacher recommended you buy it. If you feel more comfortable having the books on hand, used books would be the way to go, you can find them on Amazon, eBay and some online bookstores. I’ll look for some good deals and post the links here.
Sep 4, 2006
31 posts
Tilbury
I'm going back on campus next week to turn in my health forms, so I'll check then if we're supposed to wait. We may have to repeat certain tests before placement (i.e. TB), but immunizations are for life, so those wouldn't need to be repeated. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the info about the textbooks. I'm looking on Kijiji and all the other suggested places. Have found almost everything for less than the cost of used in the bookstore, but anything you come across would also be helpful. I would just feel better having the books on hand so I wouldn't have to borrow them or anything like that. I can border on over-prepared sometimes. :) I'm going back to school after being in the workforce for a long time, so this is a whole new experience again for me.

I'm also curious about scrubs and when we will need them (for classes or just for labs). Maybe you could ask your friend/the student about that? I'd like to price those out, too, so any info I can get before hand about hat would also be helpful.

I'll PM you back with my schedule.
Apr 20, 2011
11 posts
Windsor
mapleaf wrote:
Jul 25th, 2013 7:30 pm
I'm also curious about scrubs and when we will need them (for classes or just for labs). Maybe you could ask your friend/the student about that? I'd like to price those out, too, so any info I can get before hand about hat would also be helpful.
Scrubs are needed just for labs. You aren't required to wear them during lectures, but you can wear them if you have a lab soon afterwards (or had one beforehand) and are too lazy to change. :)

I'm a current student, so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them the best I can.
Sep 4, 2006
31 posts
Tilbury
mapleaf wrote:
I'm going back on campus next week to turn in my health forms, so I'll check then if we're supposed to wait. We may have to repeat certain tests before placement (i.e. TB), but immunizations are for life, so those wouldn't need to be repeated. I'll let you know what I find out.
I handed in my health forms today. Everything is fine, but the TB tests will have to be repeated before placement as these results are only valid for 12 months. As I thought, all the other immunization/health information is good and won't have to be repeated.
mapleaf wrote:
Thanks for the info about the textbooks. I'm looking on Kijiji and all the other suggested places. Have found almost everything for less than the cost of used in the bookstore...
I have found all but 2 of the required textbooks on Kijiji for a LOT less than the used price in the bookstore. All are in excellent condition. I had a discussion with a student today who just graduated from the Med Lab Science program this year, and she did say that she didn't use the textbooks a lot. I'm still erring on the side of caution and trying to get them all - as inexpensively as possible!
Sep 4, 2006
31 posts
Tilbury
JCorben wrote:
Jul 30th, 2013 1:56 pm
Scrubs are needed just for labs. You aren't required to wear them during lectures, but you can wear them if you have a lab soon afterwards (or had one beforehand) and are too lazy to change. :)

I'm a current student, so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them the best I can.
Thanks! That helps. :) Does that mean we won't need them for first semester? If so, can we buy them anywhere or do we have to wear specific ones? What's the approximate cost of the scrubs? Do we have to wear special shoes or are running shoes okay? Sorry for all the questions. :)

What year are you in? Enjoying the course? Any helpful suggestions for first year students? :)
Apr 20, 2011
11 posts
Windsor
mapleaf wrote:
Jul 30th, 2013 6:33 pm
Thanks! That helps. :) Does that mean we won't need them for first semester? If so, can we buy them anywhere or do we have to wear specific ones? What's the approximate cost of the scrubs? Do we have to wear special shoes or are running shoes okay? Sorry for all the questions. :)

What year are you in? Enjoying the course? Any helpful suggestions for first year students? :)
You'll need scrubs for the first semester, specifically your Gen Lab Knowledge course.

You can buy them anywhere, I bought mine in Kitchener before the semester started. I actually still have my receipt, lol. I paid exactly $68.66, although I opted to buy the scrubs made out of higher quality material. We were told what color we needed to buy, so as long as your certain of that and have that info I guess it's okay to buy them beforehand (we were told ours needed to be maroon/wine colored scrubs). I also just ordered my lab coat from McMaster University.

No special shoes are needed. Running shoes are alright to wear in the lab. So long as whatever you're wearing on your feet is not open-toe or a slipping hazard (sandals/flip-flops/heels).

I just finished the first two semesters of the program. I was given permission to withdraw during the spring semester due to a death in my immediate family. Coincidentally, I'll be joining this years intake of students in Organic Chemistry come winter semester (co-coordinator wants me to repeat it, even though I passed :( ).

As for if I'm enjoying the course...let's just say I wouldn't bother return if I didn't like the program. :cheesygri

Suggestions:

Manage your time well and don't procrastinate (especially if you choose to work part-time) it's what sinks most people. First year, it's not the material itself that's really difficult it's more the AMOUNT of it.
Although that's pretty much all I can speak to regarding the difficulty of the program. Some people find it difficult, others don't. Especially if they already have a degree, experienced any type of post-secondary, or had a high school where teachers actually taught and didn't hand out inflated grades.

Second thing that kills most people is buckling under pressure, particularly the hands-on practical exams that require you to get a minimum mark like 75% in order to pass the course.

Stay the hell away from the bookstore (I see you've already been told this, lol).

Don't wear your lab coats around the school (scrubs are fine). Reasoning behind that is the teachers feel it shows a lack of "professionalism," you wouldn't do it out in the field and they don't want you doing it around the school (on the idea that seeing a bunch of people in lab coats would freak people out at a hospital and make them think something bad is going down).

MIC111 and MIC211 are a joke, learn what you need to know during one weekend at the start of the semester, take the computer tests, get 100%, profit. Now you don't have to deal with nonsense when things get busier.

You'll have the most "fun" during 3 hour anatomy/physiology/organic classes with Prof Mike Carter (assuming he's teaching those again).

Remember to take care of yourself if your living away from home for the first time (eat/sleep/exercise).

That's all I can think of right now, if you or anyone has still got questions about something just ask. :)
× < >