St. Lawrence - Med Lab Science

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2017 7:05 pm
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes

St. Lawrence - Med Lab Science

I've been accepted into the MLS program at St Lawrence for Sept 2015. Anyone else here going? If there's any past students/still attending - what is the program like at St. Lawrence? Are the teachers good? It's unhelpful that these colleges don't list their faculty information as much.

(By the way, I'm still considering UOIT as an option. Does anyone have any insight about UOIT's med lab program? I'm curious as to why less than 20 UOIT students write the CSMLS exam each year. You would think they have more students than that).
96 replies
Jan 15, 2015
11 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
You've been accepted to the program already? I thought they send offers starting on March 10th for highly competitive programs.. On slc.me, the status says "Program Full" Hope this doesn't mean I didn't get accepted :(
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
hryu94 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 6:25 pm
You've been accepted to the program already? I thought they send offers starting on March 10th for highly competitive programs.. On slc.me, the status says "Program Full" Hope this doesn't mean I didn't get accepted :(
I got the email this morning. I think they have started to send out early offers. Do you have all the pre-requisites? I applied to Cambrian too, but I haven't heard from them. Keep checking the OntarioColleges site every morning, since I think the offer might show up there before they send an email. I hope you get into the programs you want *fingers crossed*.
Jan 15, 2015
11 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Yeah, my high school marks are not great and they are all 4C level but I completed med lab technician program at centennial with all A's and B's. Hopefully that will cover up for my HS marks. Will just have to wait and see.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Hi lutzmia, I got accepted to St. Lawrence as well. I also applied for UOIT, but no response back from them yet. As for your question regarding the 20 students writing the CSMLS exam for UOIT, I thought that might because the program intakes around 20 students? I could be wrong.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
ExpressR wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 3:36 am
Hi lutzmia, I got accepted to St. Lawrence as well. I also applied for UOIT, but no response back from them yet. As for your question regarding the 20 students writing the CSMLS exam for UOIT, I thought that might because the program intakes around 20 students? I could be wrong.
I guess UOIT may not start sending out offers till March. Their website says their med lab class sizes are 30-50, but I suppose between the students who drop out/fail or change fields/grad school, the number of techs dwindles down. I'm leaning towards going to the colleges, it's one less year and if your goal is to be a med tech, it shouldn't make a difference. Plus cost is going to be an issue with UOIT with those laptop fees.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
lutzmia wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 11:15 am
I guess UOIT may not start sending out offers till March. Their website says their med lab class sizes are 30-50, but I suppose between the students who drop out/fail or change fields/grad school, the number of techs dwindles down. I'm leaning towards going to the colleges, it's one less year and if your goal is to be a med tech, it shouldn't make a difference. Plus cost is going to be an issue with UOIT with those laptop fees.
March would be nice but according to their website, offers will not be released for competitive programs until May 1st.
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I also got accepted to MLS at st lawrence, and plan on accepting the offer! ~92 high school average in the relevant courses (for reference). One of my friends sister graduated from the program a few years ago, and she said St. Lawrence is quite reputable, and that she liked it there. She was at the time one of 5 straight out of high schools, and while she said 2nd year was a lot of work, she was able to keep up. If you look at the CMLTO exam pass rates, no school has an edge in pass rates, and they're usually all quite close to 100. In addition, the of the graduates who looked for a job after graduating, at least 97% of them found employment within a short period, if you look at their website.

As for the program, I'd assume that the program at St. Lawrence is about the same as any of the others. UOITs is newer and not a college program, so it might be different though. That said, out of St. Lawrence, St. Clair, Cambrian and Michner, I'd assume they are all relatively the same, even though Michner is a little bit more stuck up about their admissions proccess than the rest. Anyways, good luck in your decision! I know I'm excited to be in the program next year and I look forward to meeting all my classmates in Kingston in the fall!
Mar 4, 2009
773 posts
29 upvotes
St. Lawrence College is a great school. I am a graduate of their MLS program a couple years back. The teachers are really nice, and they do whatsoever to help you get through the program.

First Year is not so bad. But get ready for second year! It is quite brutal but managable! There are periods of weeks where you won't have a day not having a test or lab practical.

Once you make it through second year, third year will be a breeze in your placement. During this time you would learn lots of "practical" things that is relevent to the CSMLS exam. \

Once you make it through the program, the chances of passing the CSMLS exam is quite high (>90%)...I only know probably a few out of 50 students that failed the CSMLS exam. But then you get a couple more chances if you do fail. Not only do they really get you ready for the exam, but if you fail they would help you pass it the second time you take it.

Goodluck!
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
BrianVdmey wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:23 pm
I'd assume they are all relatively the same, even though Michner is a little bit more stuck up about their admissions proccess than the rest.
I know what you mean! With St Lawrence, it was apply-->2-3 week wait-->you got accepted-->here's the residence offer - all done in less than 4 weeks! While Michener hasn't even started the first stage of their process (the interviews) until April. Their last interview day is May 1st, which if I recall is the deadline to accept your program offer for most of the other colleges.
imp wrote:
Feb 28th, 2015 10:02 pm
...I only know probably a few out of 50 students that failed the CSMLS exam.
Thanks for the info, imp! I looked at both the CSMLS exam report cards (St Lawrence seems to have a consistent pass rate), and also saw the graduation/employment rates published by the college on each of its programs - the med lab program seems to do really well.
50 students! Was that the size of your cohort? That is quite a large group.
Mar 4, 2009
773 posts
29 upvotes
lutzmia wrote:
Feb 28th, 2015 11:40 pm
I know what you mean! With St Lawrence, it was apply-->2-3 week wait-->you got accepted-->here's the residence offer - all done in less than 4 weeks! While Michener hasn't even started the first stage of their process (the interviews) until April. Their last interview day is May 1st, which if I recall is the deadline to accept your program offer for most of the other colleges.

Thanks for the info, imp! I looked at both the CSMLS exam report cards (St Lawrence seems to have a consistent pass rate), and also saw the graduation/employment rates published by the college on each of its programs - the med lab program seems to do really well.
50 students! Was that the size of your cohort? That is quite a large group.
we started with 100 students, and ended up around 50 students making it to the third year of placement
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I was also under the impression offers were not being sent out until the 10th of March, but I must've been mistaken.

I'm a little confused because I have not received an offer, but my average for the relevant courses was ~97%, and if the offers are sent exclusively based on academic merit I think I should've received an offer.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Are you sure you have all of the pre-requisites?
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I have all the pre-reqs. I sent my transcripts in on February 9th; not sure if that would impact anything though.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Yeah that would impact it, as the deadline for competitive programs is February 1st. You should try contacting admissions immediately.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel