• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2017 7:05 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15959 posts
361 upvotes
lutzmia wrote:
Feb 19th, 2015 3:58 pm
(By the way, I'm still considering UOIT as an option. Does anyone have any insight about UOIT's med lab program? I'm curious as to why less than 20 UOIT students write the CSMLS exam each year. You would think they have more students than that).
The class sizes from the previous years are smaller. I suspect it has to do with UOIT's laptop fees and extra year of schooling. My current year, I have 50 people, but 10 are holdovers from the previous years that didn't pass. If you're interested, you should check out the UOIT open house for med lab. The profs are actually top notch here.
ExpressR wrote:
Feb 21st, 2015 3:36 am
Hi lutzmia, I got accepted to St. Lawrence as well. I also applied for UOIT, but no response back from them yet. As for your question regarding the 20 students writing the CSMLS exam for UOIT, I thought that might because the program intakes around 20 students? I could be wrong.
I believe they take in around 40 or so than another 10 from the previous years that failed a course or two. So total is around 50.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
I don't think that would have impacted anything. The deadline to apply was February 1, but the deadline to submit transcripts/documents was February 12. They received my transcripts right on the deadline date, and I was still accepted.

I had the pre-requisites at the U-level but I didn't have a very good high school average. I haven't calculated my average; my grades are in the low to mid 80's.

There's still time though, as long as you don't receive notice that you have been turned down. It might be helpful to email the admissions department and see what your status is. I hope you receive your offer!
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 3:30 pm
The class sizes from the previous years are smaller. I suspect it has to do with UOIT's laptop fees and extra year of schooling.
Yes, that's one of the reasons why I sadly won't be going to UOIT even if I get the offer. :( The tuition fees + residence + laptop fees + the 1st year of general courses will make it more financially risky when the end result is the same (writing the CSMLS and becoming a med lab technologist).

Thanks for the info!
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
lutzmia wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 9:45 pm
I don't think that would have impacted anything. The deadline to apply was February 1, but the deadline to submit transcripts/documents was February 12. They received my transcripts right on the deadline date, and I was still accepted.

I had the pre-requisites at the U-level but I didn't have a very good high school average. I haven't calculated my average; my grades are in the low to mid 80's. I have a Bachelor's degree, and a med lab technician certificate.

There's still time though, as long as you don't receive notice that you have been turned down. It might be helpful to email the admissions department and see what your status is. I hope you receive your offer!
Thanks for the reply. I e-mailed them, hopefully I can resolve this sooner rather than later. Cheers.
Oct 14, 2013
2 posts
Toronto
Hello! I've also been accepted but I'm hoping to hear from Michener. :)

Can anyone give some insight on what the placements are like and is everyone guaranteed one?
How is the course load relative to a university course load / difficulty?
For those with a bachelor degree already, does a lot of the material overlap?
Thanks!
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
miilktea wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 3:41 am

Can anyone give some insight on what the placements are like and is everyone guaranteed one?
Placements are guaranteed, since you need those clinical hours to graduate from the program as well as write the CSMLS. The final year will be the placements - you would work in each department (hematology, chemistry, histology, etc). You probably won't get to choose the placement hospital/laboratory you go to; the college assigns them for you. Each college has its own affiliated hospitals/lab that they can send students to, here's the list of the clinical sites that each college is affiliated to:

https://www.cma.ca/En/Pages/medical-lab ... aspx#ML-ON

So you can be sent to any one of those hospitals/labs. Michener and UOIT seem to mostly have a lot of local hospitals/labs (some of them overlap), while the other colleges are more spread out. It won't be a paid placement, and if you're sent out of town, you would have to cover your own costs of residency and transportation.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Does anyone know when UOIT will begin releasing offers? Their admissions page says May 1st, is this correct?
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
miilktea wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 3:41 am
How is the course load relative to a university course load / difficulty?
For those with a bachelor degree already, does a lot of the material overlap?
Thanks!
I came across this blog today, written by a student while she was at Michener:

http://www.medlabmaven.com/

It's a very interesting read. If you go to the archives, she talks about the courses, and eventually her time in clinical placement. She had her Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, and from the looks of it, that only seemed to help a bit with the Microbiology part of the program. I don't think university background would help much with most of the content though, as much of it is practical.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15959 posts
361 upvotes
ExpressR wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 11:52 am
Does anyone know when UOIT will begin releasing offers? Their admissions page says May 1st, is this correct?
I've got mine in February, but that was a few years ago. Also keep in mind they don't update the site often, so the information on it might not be correct.
Mar 3, 2015
3 posts
Milton, ON
BrianVdmey wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:23 pm
I also got accepted to MLS at st lawrence, and plan on accepting the offer! ~92 high school average in the relevant courses (for reference). One of my friends sister graduated from the program a few years ago, and she said St. Lawrence is quite reputable, and that she liked it there. She was at the time one of 5 straight out of high schools, and while she said 2nd year was a lot of work, she was able to keep up. If you look at the CMLTO exam pass rates, no school has an edge in pass rates, and they're usually all quite close to 100. In addition, the of the graduates who looked for a job after graduating, at least 97% of them found employment within a short period, if you look at their website.

As for the program, I'd assume that the program at St. Lawrence is about the same as any of the others. UOITs is newer and not a college program, so it might be different though. That said, out of St. Lawrence, St. Clair, Cambrian and Michner, I'd assume they are all relatively the same, even though Michner is a little bit more stuck up about their admissions proccess than the rest. Anyways, good luck in your decision! I know I'm excited to be in the program next year and I look forward to meeting all my classmates in Kingston in the fall!
I'm trying to decide between St. Clair and St Lawrence, leaning more towards St. Lawrence. What made you want to accept St. Lawrence's offer?
Jan 8, 2014
12 posts
Toronto
UOIT is a great place to study, my cousin finished MLT there, instructors are great and helpful, smaller class size, with lot of fun she said. My friends were studying at St.Clair, it is also best institute for MLT, it's brand new laboratory is most advanced and job rate us also higher. Comparing St. Lawrence UOIT & St. Clair ate much better.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
muruga wrote:
Mar 4th, 2015 11:22 pm
UOIT is a great place to study, my cousin finished MLT there, instructors are great and helpful, smaller class size, with lot of fun she said. My friends were studying at St.Clair, it is also best institute for MLT, it's brand new laboratory is most advanced and job rate us also higher. Comparing St. Lawrence UOIT & St. Clair ate much better.

St Clair is much better? Statistics say differently, I think.

http://www.stclaircollege.ca/futurestudents/kpi.html

The graduation rate in St Clair's Med Lab program is almost consistently below 65% (meaning that less of their students pass the program). St Lawrence have a 85%-95% graduation rate.

https://www.stlawrencecollege.ca/why-sl ... ndicators/

But the students' performance in the CSMLS exam (which is the only thing that matters in the end, if you want to be a technologist) is about the same, and their employment rates are also the same as the other colleges.

http://www.csmls.org/csmls/media/docume ... Web%29.pdf
http://www.csmls.org/csmls/media/docume ... tionr3.pdf

St Clair also has one too many more irrelevant courses than the other colleges (algebra, environmental awareness, spreadsheet software, word processing, etc) - allowing them to charge higher tuition fees. UOIT has a lot of courses too, but most of it is relevant and at the university-level since they're working towards a Bachelor's degree.

Personally, I don't think there is any "best" institute for the Med Lab Science program. But you should look at more objective facts, rather than what your cousins and friends tell you.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Hey Lutzmia, I decided on attending St. Lawrence rather than UOIT. I liked how St. Lawrence tuition was far cheaper and the courses were mostly relevant. Just by my rough calculations UOIT would cost me twice as much.
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Antaresx wrote:
Mar 4th, 2015 9:45 pm
I'm trying to decide between St. Clair and St Lawrence, leaning more towards St. Lawrence. What made you want to accept St. Lawrence's offer?
To be completely honest, I applied to all three with the express intention of going to St. Lawrence. So much that I already leased a house before explicitly getting my acceptance. One part of this was because my best friend from high school is taking a 5th year at Queens so I had someone to room with. Additionally, Kingston as a town is much more appealing to me than Windsor, and since a lot of people can get hired from their clinical I thought it best to put myself in a situation where I would actually want to live where I got placed long-term if I wanted to accept an offer like that. Finally, while Michner is probably slightly more prestigious, which specific school you graduate from doesn't seem to have much impact on hire-ability and definitely doesn't have an impact on CMLTS exam pass rates, as all the schools seem to be ~equal from the data released on the CMLTS website. As prev stated, my friends sister graduated from St. Lawrence and is doing quite well, and gave a good review!

Hope that helped!