Students

St. Lawrence - Med Lab Science

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2017 2:35 pm
Newbie
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
For those going to St. Lawrence, do any of you speak french or plan on learning? I ask because half of the clinical sites are in Ottawa, and I think being bilingual would be an important asset, right?
Newbie
Mar 3, 2015
3 posts
Milton, ON
BrianVdmey wrote:
Mar 5th, 2015 12:21 pm
To be completely honest, I applied to all three with the express intention of going to St. Lawrence. So much that I already leased a house before explicitly getting my acceptance. One part of this was because my best friend from high school is taking a 5th year at Queens so I had someone to room with. Additionally, Kingston as a town is much more appealing to me than Windsor, and since a lot of people can get hired from their clinical I thought it best to put myself in a situation where I would actually want to live where I got placed long-term if I wanted to accept an offer like that. Finally, while Michner is probably slightly more prestigious, which specific school you graduate from doesn't seem to have much impact on hire-ability and definitely doesn't have an impact on CMLTS exam pass rates, as all the schools seem to be ~equal from the data released on the CMLTS website. As prev stated, my friends sister graduated from St. Lawrence and is doing quite well, and gave a good review!

Hope that helped!
I guess I was just being fussy because I want to be 110% sure of my choice. I went on a tour and I have just accepted my offer! Thanks for your response!I appreciate it.
Newbie
Mar 8, 2015
1 posts
Ontario
I applied to St. Lawrence, Cambrian and St. Clair for 2015. I completely overlooked the Michener institute because of the interview process. I have a friend who has been working as a MLT for almost 10 years now. He informed me that employers want you to have your certification through CSMLS, and that every school is generally considered equal. Each program is accredited with the Canadian Medical Association based on the curriculum. Making each school almost equal aside from a few details such as location, age of equipment and the odd useless general education course.

I decided to accept St. Lawrence for 2015. I like how I got a quick response from them, I found out mid February. I like the clinical locations, a lot spots are in cities I would live in after graduation. Tuition is also very reasonable.
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Has anyone not from Ontario received an offer?
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
~Well after waiting for >1.5 weeks and multiple e-mails later I finally discovered I didn't get an offer/am not wait listed.
~If any residents outside of Ontario are thinking about applying in the future I advise strongly against it.

I mean these were my marks:

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/nwlqg7.png[/IMG]

Beyond disappointed. Really wanted to live in Kingston.

/rantover
Newbie
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Sorry to hear that Lituation, was it because you did not apply in time or just because you are not a resident of Ontario? Have you applied to schools in your own province?
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
ExpressR wrote:
Mar 17th, 2015 2:11 am
Sorry to hear that Lituation, was it because you did not apply in time or just because you are not a resident of Ontario? Have you applied to schools in your own province?
I applied on January 26th - Deadline was February 1st.
Transcripts stamped as official on February 9th - Deadline was February 12th.

Figured something went wrong, but I guess it's just a competitive program! I applied to other schools - wanted to live in Kingston because it's a fun city comparatively.
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
Lithuation - Sorry to hear about that! I don't think it had anything to do with academic merit, they are probably restricting students from outside of Ontario. That's not good, since a lot of other provinces especially on the east coast only have a few colleges. Have you applied to Michener? I'm certain that Michener accepts out-of-province students. With your grades, you would definitely have a chance at the MMI.
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
lutzmia wrote:
Mar 17th, 2015 12:20 pm
Lithuation - Sorry to hear about that! I don't think it had anything to do with academic merit, they are probably restricting students from outside of Ontario. That's not good, since a lot of other provinces especially on the east coast only have a few colleges. Have you applied to Michener? I'm certain that Michener accepts out-of-province students. With your grades, you would definitely have a chance at the MMI.
Thanks guys! It's no worries, I'll still be going to school in the fall to be an MLT! Just sucks when I think I deserved to get in to my school of preference and didn't. Have fun at St. Lawrence!
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
ExpressR wrote:
Mar 8th, 2015 1:07 pm
For those going to St. Lawrence, do any of you speak french or plan on learning? I ask because half of the clinical sites are in Ottawa, and I think being bilingual would be an important asset, right?
I wouldn't think that this would make a difference for placements. I'm guessing the school will take student info into consideration, they might be more likely to send bilingual students over there (I don't think there will be a lot of bilingual students though). It would definitely be an asset for actual employment in Ottawa. I have a basic knowledge of French, but I doubt I'll ever become fluent. I believe language is just one of those things that most people need to be immersed in completely (live in an area where there's majority French) to get a full grasp of it, and I've always lived in primarily English-speaking areas.

I've looked into this in the past - but there is the "Explore" program by OSAP that gives a bursary for a 5 week education in Quebec to learn French, but the application has closed for this year.
Newbie
Mar 26, 2015
1 posts
East York, ON
Hello, everyone of this St. Lawrence - Med Lab Science thread. I have got offer from both St. Clair and St. Lawrence colleges. As being newcomer in Canada (only 15 months), I can't decide myself where to go for admission. On the basis of information of this forum, I could perceive that taking MLS course in St. Lawrence is more reasonable than the other one, in terms of course fee and graduation rate. Please keep posting regarding other issues e.g faculty teachers, lab equipment facilities, clinical Placements, local housing rent and life costing etc. Thanks again for all valuable information.
Newbie
Mar 30, 2015
6 posts
Scarborough, ON
I got waitlisted for St. Lawrence, but I really loved and wanted to go to Kingston. One of my friend said waiting list means very less chance to get an offer now. :/
Newbie
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
madrasi wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 5:42 am
I got waitlisted for St. Lawrence, but I really loved and wanted to go to Kingston. One of my friend said waiting list means very less chance to get an offer now. :/
That's not true, it depends where you are on the list. You can e-mail admissions and ask for your position on the list. Wait until May or June, there are always people who will decline their offer or change their minds. If you are at the top of the list, you have a very good chance to get in.
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
How many people off a waitlist do you think would get in? I'm #6 on one of them. Think my shot is excellent? decent? poor?
Newbie
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Lituation wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 2:06 pm
How many people off a waitlist do you think would get in? I'm #6 on one of them. Think my shot is excellent? decent? poor?
I can't really say, it will be purely speculation on my part. My friend who applied last year was on the waitlist as position #3, and got an offer on May 3rd-ish. However there are always year to year differences. His average was higher than mine, and he was put on a waitlist. So I thought I would get waitlisted as well, but ended up getting an early offer.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top