• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2017 7:05 pm
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
ExpressR wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 2:15 pm
I can't really say, it will be purely speculation on my part. My friend who applied last year was on the waitlist as position #3, and got an offer on May 3rd-ish. However there are always year to year differences. His average was higher than mine, and he was put on a waitlist. So I thought I would get waitlisted as well, but ended up getting an early offer.
Yeah I was expecting an entirely speculative response. I'm hoping most people who will get into Michener also received offers that they will decline upon receiving their admission there.
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Lituation wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 2:21 pm
Yeah I was expecting an entirely speculative response. I'm hoping most people who will get into Michener also received offers that they will decline upon receiving their admission there.
I know for sure that one of my classmates from this year (I go to UoGuelph right now, confirmed my offer for St. Lawrence next year) is doing exactly that. She wants to go to Michener but is probably going to accept her St. Lawrence offer until she knows the results of the MMI. Also remember at this point in the process there are quite a few people who probably got accepted to multiple MLT programs, so there will probably be quite a few people who decline their St. Lawrence offer to go to St. Clair or Cambrian, or vice versa. Obviously its all variable, but #6 on the waitlist seems like a pretty good position to be.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
Curious if you guys are going to apply for residence or off-campus housing?
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
I applied for residence, I got a single room. I'll be a bit older than most of the students in residence, but I figured that colleges tend to be good landlords and I didn't want the hassle of commuting in a city I'm entirely unfamiliar with. Once I'm familiar with Kingston, I might opt for off campus housing in second year.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
If I don't get into Michener I plan on living in residence for the first year - hopefully meeting some people and then living off-campus for the second.
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
ExpressR wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 1:40 am
Curious if you guys are going to apply for residence or off-campus housing?
Definitely living off-campus. I had the rez experience at university and while it was good then, I don't really want to deal with it again. For the same price I can get a nicer, bigger, quieter room off campus. That said I am living with at least one person I know (high school friend doing 5th year at queens). Biggest thing is not being able to cook in rez though, even if it will suck that I will have to make a lunch/dinner to bring to school each day. An additional bonus is that I'm a lot more centrally located in the city and am closre to a lot of the downtown/lakefront. Downside is 20 minute bus ride to school.

And the bonus of everyone being on relatively the same schedule is I won't miss out on making friends at school!
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
BrianVdmey wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 4:42 pm
Definitely living off-campus. I had the rez experience at university and while it was good then, I don't really want to deal with it again. For the same price I can get a nicer, bigger, quieter room off campus. That said I am living with at least one person I know (high school friend doing 5th year at queens). Biggest thing is not being able to cook in rez though, even if it will suck that I will have to make a lunch/dinner to bring to school each day. An additional bonus is that I'm a lot more centrally located in the city and am closre to a lot of the downtown/lakefront. Downside is 20 minute bus ride to school.

And the bonus of everyone being on relatively the same schedule is I won't miss out on making friends at school!
You are not allowed to cook in residence? Why not?
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
ExpressR wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 6:05 pm
You are not allowed to cook in residence? Why not?
Somewhat misused words. You can cook, but you are only allowed a microwave, a george foreman grill, and one or two other things I don't remember. Definitely not a hot plate or an oven. Basically you can cook, but not the way I'm used to.
Mar 16, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
BrianVdmey wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 6:27 pm
Somewhat misused words. You can cook, but you are only allowed a microwave, a george foreman grill, and one or two other things I don't remember. Definitely not a hot plate or an oven. Basically you can cook, but not the way I'm used to.
Yeah I checked, you are allowed microwave, toaster, george foreman grill and electric frying pan. Which is not bad, I can get most of my cooking done that way, but I would of also liked to have a mini-oven....
Feb 26, 2015
13 posts
4 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Does anyone know what day the program starts/what day orientation is, and how long the semesters are (both fall and winter)? Also does anyone experienced with the program know what the class schedule is usually like (primarily for year 1 but info on 2 and their clincial schedule from 3 would be appreriated.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
BrianVdmey wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 3:11 pm
I know for sure that one of my classmates from this year (I go to UoGuelph right now, confirmed my offer for St. Lawrence next year) is doing exactly that. She wants to go to Michener but is probably going to accept her St. Lawrence offer until she knows the results of the MMI. Also remember at this point in the process there are quite a few people who probably got accepted to multiple MLT programs, so there will probably be quite a few people who decline their St. Lawrence offer to go to St. Clair or Cambrian, or vice versa. Obviously its all variable, but #6 on the waitlist seems like a pretty good position to be.

Do you know how I could have dropped lower on the rankings? If the program is closed for applications and I'm #6 in March how could I be ranked lower now? I'm confused.
Feb 3, 2015
33 posts
14 upvotes
North York, ON
Lituation wrote:
May 4th, 2015 11:07 am
Do you know how I could have dropped lower on the rankings? If the program is closed for applications and I'm #6 in March how could I be ranked lower now? I'm confused.
It might be because of the school's waitlist procedure/policy. I know some schools rank in order of who has the most competitive stats out of the pool of waitlisted applicants, and the list changes as more people are added. Personally I think this is a slightly unfair method since it means if you apply after the deadline, you could still rank higher on the waitlist than others who did apply on time. I would contact the Office of the Registrar and check their waitlist procedure.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
errinath wrote:
May 4th, 2015 2:33 pm
It might be because of the school's waitlist procedure/policy. I know some schools rank in order of who has the most competitive stats out of the pool of waitlisted applicants, and the list changes as more people are added. Personally I think this is a slightly unfair method since it means if you apply after the deadline, you could still rank higher on the waitlist than others who did apply on time. I would contact the Office of the Registrar and check their waitlist procedure.
But I mean are people realistically still being added 2 months after the deadline? I was #6 on March 31st and now on May 4th I'm #18th... Seems bizarre, but maybe. One less option to worry about I guess.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
Lituation wrote:
May 4th, 2015 2:44 pm
But I mean are people realistically still being added 2 months after the deadline? I was #6 on March 31st and now on May 4th I'm #18th... Seems bizarre, but maybe. One less option to worry about I guess.
If you're out of province they might have to rank Ontario residents before you if that counts for a certain percentage. That would be my theory.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
neonlily wrote:
May 4th, 2015 2:51 pm
If you're out of province they might have to rank Ontario residents before you if that counts for a certain percentage. That would be my theory.
This I would understand. However, why wouldn't those 12 additional people now ahead of me not have been ahead of me already on March 31st. How are new people being added to the pool 2 months after the deadline?

Being OOP is going to prove to be increasingly difficult for people. Most of the schools in the Maritimes currently have waitlists of >2 years. Craziness.