• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2017 7:05 pm
Feb 3, 2015
33 posts
14 upvotes
North York, ON
Lituation wrote:
May 4th, 2015 2:57 pm
This I would understand. However, why wouldn't those 12 additional people now ahead of me not have been ahead of me already on March 31st. How are new people being added to the pool 2 months after the deadline?

Being OOP is going to prove to be increasingly difficult for people. Most of the schools in the Maritimes currently have waitlists of >2 years. Craziness.

I just thought of another possible theory: they messed up with the applications of some folks and decided to bump up their rank as retribution for these mistakes. For instance, if an applicant was told that they were rejected because they didn't have Grade 12 Chemistry, but then the applicant proved that the Chemistry mark was there on the transcript all along (and the admissions offer missed it or something), they could be given a "big bump" up the waitlist to make up for the mistake. This isn't common but it has happened to a few people I know. This is all pure conjecture though, as every school does thing differently. It could be a number of factors that lead to this. Sorry to hear that happened.
Jan 20, 2015
57 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax, NS
errinath wrote:
May 4th, 2015 3:18 pm
I just thought of another possible theory: they messed up with the applications of some folks and decided to bump up their rank as retribution for these mistakes. For instance, if an applicant was told that they were rejected because they didn't have Grade 12 Chemistry, but then the applicant proved that the Chemistry mark was there on the transcript all along (and the admissions offer missed it or something), they could be given a "big bump" up the waitlist to make up for the mistake. This isn't common but it has happened to a few people I know. This is all pure conjecture though, as every school does thing differently. It could be a number of factors that lead to this. Sorry to hear that happened.
Could be it as well. But an additional 12 mistakes? Seems like a reach.

This application process has been an absolute nightmare lol.
Jun 25, 2007
375 posts
9 upvotes
It is hard to compare med lab programs between schools unless someone has gone through both to say which one he/she likes better, and that can still be subjective. I went to St. Lawrence and it was a no-brainer for me since my hometown is not far from Kingston and I want to be close to home; plus with the lower tuition, I didn't consider other schools once I got SLC's acceptance. An earlier post mentioned SLC has old lab equipment while St. Clair has a brand new lab. I would agree it's true; however, I want to make sure the folks who are going to SLC don't feel they will be disadvantaged because of this. I would say the end goal of any med lab program is to pass the CSMLS exam. The actual lab experience - so much of what you will do daily as a MLT will be learned somewhat at placement, but mostly on the job. You can train most people relatively quickly on how to load an analyzer and which buttons to press to run it, but it is the troubleshooting and recognizing something is not quite right that are the valuable skills which come with experience. Maybe the lab instructor will pretend to mess up QC or uninstall a probe to simulate malfunction, but in reality you will learn to handle this while the phone is ringing off the hook to ask why the results are not there yet and more stat specimens just arrived, for example.
Oct 16, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Norval, ON
Hey guys! I wanted to apply to the MLT program at st. lawrence after I finish my BSc. I was wondering if anyone had the answers to these questions:
1) How long is the clinical placement? And are we required to take courses during our placement?
2) When I apply will only my high school grades be considered? Or my university grades as well?
3) Where can I get more information regarding transfer credits?
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey, I'm currently a first year in the MLT program at Cambrian College. You have to send in all your grades to the admission office, but they will only look at your HS grades for admission. Since you'll have a BSc, you will receive transfer credits for the Gen eds. I can't speak for St Lawrence College, but so far, the med lab professors at Cambrian College have been exceptionally helpful; especially if you have a BSc with a solid science background and show a genuine interest in the field of medical laboratory. I wouldn't worry too much about transfer credits; Just get accepted to the college, and they will provide you with the contact info of the staff in charge of transfer credits. If you decide to come to Cambrian college for MLT, I can assure you that you will not regret it.
Oct 27, 2015
7 posts
Scarborough, ON
woof122 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 6:55 pm
Hey, I'm currently a first year in the MLT program at Cambrian College. You have to send in all your grades to the admission office, but they will only look at your HS grades for admission. Since you'll have a BSc, you will receive transfer credits for the Gen eds. I can't speak for St Lawrence College, but so far, the med lab professors at Cambrian College have been exceptionally helpful; especially if you have a BSc with a solid science background and show a genuine interest in the field of medical laboratory. I wouldn't worry too much about transfer credits; Just get accepted to the college, and they will provide you with the contact info of the staff in charge of transfer credits. If you decide to come to Cambrian college for MLT, I can assure you that you will not regret it.
How many students in your class? What is the average class size in Cambrian college MLT program? I would like to apply for Cambrian along with St.Lawrence and St.Clair.
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ninjaturtle wrote:
Nov 14th, 2015 12:34 am
How many students in your class? What is the average class size in Cambrian college MLT program? I would like to apply for Cambrian along with St.Lawrence and St.Clair.
About 50 kids in class; about 25-30 make it to 3rd year clinical so I hear
Oct 27, 2015
7 posts
Scarborough, ON
woof122 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 9:30 pm
About 50 kids in class; about 25-30 make it to 3rd year clinical so I hear
Thanks ! What is the minimum grade percentage needed in all pre-requisites needed to get admitted into Cambrian? I have around 83 % . How is the lab facility in Cambrian?
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ninjaturtle wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 10:39 pm
Thanks ! What is the minimum grade percentage needed in all pre-requisites needed to get admitted into Cambrian? I have around 83 % . How is the lab facility in Cambrian?
It says minimum 75% on the website, but I'd say you're safe with an above 80% average; it depends on the pool of applicants. From what I've seen so far, the labs are well maintained. There's about 5 of us from Toronto and the rest are mostly from northern Ontario. 3/4 of the class has some sort of post secondary education, over 1/3 have bachelors. Sudbury is relatively quiet compared to Toronto which makes it a lot easier to focus on your studies.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
santoro17 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 9:39 am
Hey guys! I wanted to apply to the MLT program at st. lawrence after I finish my BSc. I was wondering if anyone had the answers to these questions:
1) How long is the clinical placement? And are we required to take courses during our placement?
2) When I apply will only my high school grades be considered? Or my university grades as well?
3) Where can I get more information regarding transfer credits?

1. Placement is around 30 weeks. I believe there is an online course you will have to take. It wouldn't be possible to take an actual school course since your placement would most likely not be in Kingston.

2. I'm not sure about their admission process (it's not really made public) but they do go by high school grades since those are the minimum requirements. There are people who get into the program with just a high school diploma.

3. You can call up the school. We get transfer credits easily in the first two semesters but you have to retain full time status. The most you can drop in a given semester is around 2 courses.

The class size here at St Lawrence is around 45. But students do drop out every semester (by choice, or failed).

I would VERY highly recommend applying to Michener and doing your best to go there.
Oct 27, 2015
7 posts
Scarborough, ON
woof122 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2015 3:31 pm
It says minimum 75% on the website, but I'd say you're safe with an above 80% average; it depends on the pool of applicants. From what I've seen so far, the labs are well maintained. There's about 5 of us from Toronto and the rest are mostly from northern Ontario. 3/4 of the class has some sort of post secondary education, over 1/3 have bachelors. Sudbury is relatively quiet compared to Toronto which makes it a lot easier to focus on your studies.
Thanks ! Also I would like to know how hard is the courses in the first semester, I heard the MLT courses are too intense. What advice or tips could you give for prospectus students to get prepared for the program in the first semester to succeed in studies. It would really be helpful for us.
Dec 1, 2015
4 posts
2 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Hey guys! I'm also hoping to apply and get accepted for the MLT program after my BSc. I was really hoping to get into St. Lawrence College since it's closer to home but I'm starting to lose hope after reading about how high some of your averages are ._.; Does anyone happen to know around what percentage SLC cuts off at? Do you think I'll have a chance with a 88% average from high school (for the prereqs)?
Oct 21, 2014
58 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ninjaturtle wrote:
Nov 28th, 2015 10:16 pm
Thanks ! Also I would like to know how hard is the courses in the first semester, I heard the MLT courses are too intense. What advice or tips could you give for prospectus students to get prepared for the program in the first semester to succeed in studies. It would really be helpful for us.
I'm in no position to be giving out tips lol, but from what I can tell so far... laboratory math (like dilutions, multiple unit conversion, etc...) seems to be the one thing that kids tend to struggle in during first semester. As Lutzmia was saying, definitely do your best to get into Michener, but don't get discouraged if you don't get accepted. I didn't get in, and I'm doing fairly well so far. Truth of the matter is, you can be barely passing the program with the minimum requirements, pass the CSMLS Exam and still be one of the best technologist out there. At the end of the day, it's all about the job. But with so many university kids going back to college for practical programs, admission standards are slowly being raised and subsequently the minimum passing requirements raised as well.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
xJenna wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2015 11:37 pm
Hey guys! I'm also hoping to apply and get accepted for the MLT program after my BSc. I was really hoping to get into St. Lawrence College since it's closer to home but I'm starting to lose hope after reading about how high some of your averages are ._.; Does anyone happen to know around what percentage SLC cuts off at? Do you think I'll have a chance with a 88% average from high school (for the prereqs)?

Yes, you will most likely get in. My high school average was lower than that and I don't have a BSc. Don't stress out about getting accepted into the colleges, it's not as competitive as it is made to sound, especially for those with averages like yourself plus the BSc on top. You will get in as long as you apply and get your documents in on time. [Getting in is the easy part. Getting through the program is a different story].
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
39 posts
8 upvotes
Ninjaturtle wrote:
Nov 28th, 2015 10:16 pm
What advice or tips could you give for prospectus students to get prepared for the program in the first semester to succeed in studies. It would really be helpful for us.

Buy any textbooks in advance and read as much as you can over the summer.

I agree with Woof that lab math is a bit tough for some students, but microscopy was also a little challenging here (Kohler, tissue identification). Watch Youtube videos about light microscopes to learn about them because you'll be using them a lot in the lab both for school and career. Also watch videos and read about basic histology and basic tissue identification. If you end up going to St Lawrence, review general and organic chemistry because the first year chem course here is a little insane, at least if you don't have advanced university chem knowledge. No matter what college you go to, read up on anatomy and physiology over the summer... it's all about memorization and the details, so the more you read it, the more likely you'll be able to remember it. We use Patton's Anatomy and Physiology 9th edition, but any anatomy textbook from the public library is the same.

The teachers here are nice but a lot of it is fending for yourself, so work on your independent studying skills. Learn how to teach yourself the material even if it means using other textbooks or online sources.

Make sure you get all your immunization records in order. It's required for labs such as phlebotomy.

First year courses aren't bad at all in the colleges. [Michener is an exception. The clinical courses... histotech, hematology, clinical chemistry, microbiology, transfusion... are the most intensive and Michener starts those first year].