Credit Cards

Stack MC : Nerfed!! Fees galore! Avoid this card!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2024 8:53 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2331 posts
826 upvotes
Is there an issue with the Stack app? I am getting "error loading balance", "failed to get card account" error messages. Tried to log out and log back in, same result.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
kulb wrote: Is there an issue with the Stack app? I am getting "error loading balance", "failed to get card account" error messages. Tried to log out and log back in, same result.
Yep, same error message!
Jun 29, 2017
184 posts
148 upvotes
kulb wrote: Is there an issue with the Stack app? I am getting "error loading balance", "failed to get card account" error messages. Tried to log out and log back in, same result.
i see the same error, too.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Yep. I’ve had this card since inception and etransfers use to be really quick. Like 10-15 minutes max. I notice now it takes awhile. I now use KOHO and my etransfers take 10-15 minutes.

Something has definitely happened with stack. Probably has to due with the new owner etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6564 posts
10853 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
trellaine201 wrote: Yep. I’ve had this card since inception and etransfers use to be really quick. Like 10-15 minutes max. I notice now it takes awhile. I now use KOHO and my etransfers take 10-15 minutes.

Something has definitely happened with stack. Probably has to due with the new owner etc.
I just sent an etransfer from CIBC to stack and it went thru in 10 minutes.
Feb 16, 2014
845 posts
790 upvotes
pathfinder35 wrote: I just sent an etransfer from CIBC to stack and it went thru in 10 minutes.
Still nothing showing up from etransfer.
<sigh> will need to call in.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2855 posts
836 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
b33zlebub wrote: waiting for my e-transfer 8 hours ago. arghhh!
b33zlebub wrote: Still nothing showing up from etransfer.
<sigh> will need to call in.
did this finally go through? I was just about to make an ebay.com purchase. decided to sign up for stack after reading about it in the hulu thread. within 15min had the virtual card added to my paypal and pushed funds from my bank over and that was 90min ago. still nothing showing on my stack. I thought this thing was nearly instant?
Saving money on things I don't need since 2009. thanks RFD

Woodstock, ON
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2841 posts
3452 upvotes
Toronto
crashxxx wrote: did this finally go through? I was just about to make an ebay.com purchase. decided to sign up for stack after reading about it in the hulu thread. within 15min had the virtual card added to my paypal and pushed funds from my bank over and that was 90min ago. still nothing showing on my stack. I thought this thing was nearly instant?
Interac transfers used to be about 30 minutes or less, but if you pushed funds from a bank using the bill payment transfer method, then that would take 2-3 business days. Same amount of time as if you paid a bill.
Feb 16, 2014
845 posts
790 upvotes
crashxxx wrote: did this finally go through? I was just about to make an ebay.com purchase. decided to sign up for stack after reading about it in the hulu thread. within 15min had the virtual card added to my paypal and pushed funds from my bank over and that was 90min ago. still nothing showing on my stack. I thought this thing was nearly instant?
I did app chat with CSR. They had Interac problems. My etransfer was stuck. They bounced my transfer back to my account using an incorrect password.

They said problems were solved so, i did a test transfer. Supposed to arrive between 5 minutes to an hour. Came into my Stack after 2 hours. Are they manually processing etransfers? !
Seems like it.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2855 posts
836 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
silverele wrote:
Interac transfers used to be about 30 minutes or less, but if you pushed funds from a bank using the bill payment transfer method, then that would take 2-3 business days. Same amount of time as if you paid a bill.
sorry, maybe shouldn't have used the word push. I set them up as an interact etransfer recipient, typically, my family members and I and payments I receive from a tenant via estransfer go through withing 1 - 5min. I the transfer and will pay another way.
b33zlebub wrote: I did app chat with CSR. They had Interac problems. My etransfer was stuck. They bounced my transfer back to my account using an incorrect password.

They said problems were solved so, i did a test transfer. Supposed to arrive between 5 minutes to an hour. Came into my Stack after 2 hours. Are they manually processing etransfers? !
Seems like it.
eek. not convenient at all. thanks for the update

Woodstock, ON
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2855 posts
836 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
just tried it again. funds went though quickly. about 5min.

Woodstock, ON
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
2379 posts
4561 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
12 Offers of STACKMas might be of interest to some... every 2 days they're releasing a different offer that's good for about 2 days. Need to Activate the offer in the app for it to work.

#1 available now until the end of Dec 3 is Walmart (Spend $10+, get $1 CB)
#2 available Dec 3 appears to be for Tim Hortons (no details yet)

Now that Walmart accepts tap at most locations in Canada, using mobile wallet is feasible (which is good, since STACK doesn't deserve a place in my wallet!)
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1980 posts
322 upvotes
"
Thank you for loading your STACK Pre-Paid Mastercard. Unfortunately we are currently experiencing issues with our e-Transfer service, and are investigating now.

If you require access to the funds immediately, you are able to cancel the e-Transfer and the funds will return to your original bank.

In the meantime, we suggest funding you account using Bill Pay Load or via Cash Load at Canada Post.
"

FYI, they're down again ...
Sep 26, 2011
606 posts
196 upvotes
TimsRewards is pissing me off with their eligibility for multi item/time challenge cards not clearing not sure I'll be bothering with tomorrows offer
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1418 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
CalgaryBen wrote: 12 Offers of STACKMas might be of interest to some... every 2 days they're releasing a different offer that's good for about 2 days. Need to Activate the offer in the app for it to work.

#1 available now until the end of Dec 3 is Walmart (Spend $10+, get $1 CB)
#2 available Dec 3 appears to be for Tim Hortons (no details yet)

Now that Walmart accepts tap at most locations in Canada, using mobile wallet is feasible (which is good, since STACK doesn't deserve a place in my wallet!)
Does purchasing $10 Walmart GC online work to get the $1 cashback? I'd really rather not go to the store!
Sep 26, 2011
606 posts
196 upvotes
AEmgee wrote: Does purchasing $10 Walmart GC online work to get the $1 cashback? I'd really rather not go to the store!
the full info pulled from the offer page on getstack.ca
Get stocked up on all your holiday essentials at Walmart.

Get $1 CAD back on your STACK account when you spend $10 CAD or more at Walmart. Available on-line or in-store.

How To Redeem:
- Click the 'Activate' button below to take advantage of this offer.
- After activation, get $1 CAD back when you make a purchase at Walmart with your STACK Prepaid Mastercard®.
- Minimum $10 CAD spend required before tax in a single transaction to redeem.
- Limited time only and some exclusions apply. Offer ends December 4th, 2020 3:00am EST.

Terms and Conditions:
- STACK is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Walmart or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates. Any names, marks, emblems and images are registered trademarks of each respective entity.
- Please note that any funds deposited in a STACK account are held by a financial institution and are subject to any applicable rights and regulations including, but not limited to, the right of offset. Accordingly, STACK may debit and/or reverse any offer credit from a STACK account for purchases refunded and/or returned in its sole discretion.
- Terms may be subject to change at any time.
so yes as long as their still processing the purchase it should be fine
May 9, 2018
129 posts
150 upvotes
Summerside, PE
rhw123 wrote: You can turn off the offers in the app. You'll get some silly instagram-like screen instead though.

I've never bothered with the offers, just keeping the card active with occasional small transactions because a prepaid card with 0 ATM fees and 0 FX fees is a useful tool in the toolbox. Even in Covid times it has its uses.
This is exactly why I have this card. I really only use it for the no fx fees and as an emergency card for cash because of the no ATM fees. I do periodically check the offers and use them on occasion if it's easy to use just to keep the account active.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)