• Jan 23rd, 2012 11:18 am
Tags:
None
Jan 14, 2009
34 posts
7 upvotes

Stag Prize Donations?

Hi everyone

I have been going around to local businesses in the Stoney Creek/Hamilton area asking for some stag prizes. The best man has written up a letter that we are giving out to the businesses looking for some donations for our stag. Are there any locations that you know that will give out donations or any ideas that you can suggest to make this search more successful?

Thank you RFDers for your help
Share:
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Why do you need prizes for a Stag?

is the money going to charity?
I really do not understand this concept.

just make people pay for their own alcohol or a cover charge maybe?
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
This is like a Stag and Doe event to raise money for their wedding right?

Do any companies normally donate to these things? It is hard enough to raise donations for an actual charitable cause.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2573 posts
123 upvotes
BornRuff wrote:
Jan 8th, 2012 7:42 pm
This is like a Stag and Doe event to raise money for their wedding right?

Do any companies normally donate to these things? It is hard enough to raise donations for an actual charitable cause.

This.
Jesus saves, I spend
Nov 6, 2011
287 posts
84 upvotes
God, I really hate Stag & Does and always thought I was the only one.
May 14, 2010
510 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
Do you know anyone who works retail (a bar owner, a grocery store manager, salesmen ???) these people can ask their sales rep for prizes...

Is this an all are welcome $15/$20 stag and doe? or a full open everything European Stag?
We bought most of the prizes for our stag.... have joker card game , 50/50 draws, buy a couple texas mickies and have toonie toss. You'll make tons of money here with minimal work and prizes bought.

You'll be hard-pressed finding any companies willing to donate to these type of events?
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
Donations? You usually won't get those.. typically with pricing, here's what you got:

$20-30 stag party with games set up (like black jack & poker), cash bar, and no real prizes other than a 50/50 draw.

$70-100 stag party = you go out & spend a good couple thousand dollars on good prizes, have a good meal setup & an open bar.

First one you'll make a thousand dollars or so, second one you can make over 20k depending on how many people show up. Time to invest.
Discuss everything Travel! - http://www.ineedavacation.ca
Discuss everything Mixed Martial Arts! - http://www.ufctalk.net
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
1978 posts
352 upvotes
Not sure about the forum rules...but can I say specific names of places that I have actually went to in the past for stag prizes?

...best places (in general) would be smaller businesses that don't have any higher powers to report to.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes
My husband gets approached on a regular basis for donations (for charitable or sporting type things) from our business and I can tell you with absolute certainy that if someone showed up looking for donations for a stag he would laugh in his or her face and send them packing. What has this world come to when people are narcisstic enough to believe that a business would want to donate to a private function such as a stag? Many, if not most businesses are struggling right now, thanks to all of the economic problems and it's insulting to be asked to donate something for a stag or a stag and doe.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2009
34 posts
7 upvotes
The stag is getting closer and I have actually gotten a lot of donations. We had a letter written and actually had businesses step up. We have told them to given business cards along with the donations so that they can be put out with their donations. I think it is a win win for both, they will now get 150 people hear about their business and just have positive word or mouth. I am not going to say that these donations were the greatest, but it allows me to spend less on prizes. All in all I received about 10 door prizes, 3 raffle prizes and a few discounts.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2642 posts
60 upvotes
East York
deltone wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 3:12 pm
My husband gets approached on a regular basis for donations (for charitable or sporting type things) from our business and I can tell you with absolute certainy that if someone showed up looking for donations for a stag he would laugh in his or her face and send them packing. What has this world come to when people are narcisstic enough to believe that a business would want to donate to a private function such as a stag? Many, if not most businesses are struggling right now, thanks to all of the economic problems and it's insulting to be asked to donate something for a stag or a stag and doe.

It's not narcissistic, and if anything I could flip it around and say that YOU'RE being the narcissist...

The OP isn't going around DEMANDING donations, he's simply ASKING if the businesses he's visiting would be willing to donate....If they say No he understands and leaves...

It's narcissistic and egotistical to have the attitude you have....

" how dare someone planning a party (stag) come and ask me for a donation " - that sounds narcissistic to me....

It's called a DONATION for a reason. Hell, how do you know the money that's being donated to a charity is actually going to HELP people and not the people working for the charity?

With a stag you know it's more than likely going to A) pay the costs of the stag, B) help a couple with their wedding and help them start their future in a better financial spot.....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 3:56 pm
It's not narcissistic, and if anything I could flip it around and say that YOU'RE being the narcissist...

The OP isn't going around DEMANDING donations, he's simply ASKING if the businesses he's visiting would be willing to donate....If they say No he understands and leaves...

" how dare someone planning a party (stag) come and ask me for a donation " - that sounds narcissistic to me....

It's called a DONATION for a reason. Hell, how do you know the money that's being donated to a charity is actually going to HELP people and not the people working for the charity?

With a stag you know it's more than likely going to A) pay the costs of the stag, B) help a couple with their wedding and help them start their future in a better financial spot.....

Okay, so why stop at the stag then? Why not look for donations for the wedding as well. I'm sure many hotels would love to donate the hall for free because afterall, who knows how many of the guests might want to book the room, but you can be sure if they know the hall was free, they'll want to ask for a donation as well. And we won't even stop there. Why not ask for donations to save for a down payment for the house? Then for the mortgage payments. Then for the maternity clothes and of course the baby furniture and the baby shower. Don't forget to get some for the post secondary education as well. Sheesh

A stag is a private function and any stags my husband or sons have been involved in, they didn't go around asking for donations. They purchased the prizes and they charged a fee to get into the stag and they sold tickets. That way it was the FRIENDS of the groom who donated, not some business owner who knows nothing of the groom and in all liklihood won't be getting any business from the stag attendees.

I didn't say anyone was demanding the donations but it's very narcissitic to believe that strangers want to donate to such things. Sure, some will donate but most won't donate unless it's for a cause such as something charitable.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 3:56 pm

For what reason would a couple need to help fund a wedding and start off for the future in a "better financial spot"? If the costs of a wedding are or will be so "much" that it requires a fundraiser, wouldn't that indicate that the couple are spending too much for the wedding and should cut back? It's not that they need help to pay the cost of a stag and wedding - they need to pull back and not make it cost so much.

And though they may think it is all well intended, if they can't navigate the relatively simple financial "challenge" of a wedding, they won't be able to handle all of the future financial challenges that will crop up in the future. It' all well if friends want to do a stag and doe for a marrying couple, but if a marrying couple is doing it to raise money they don't have or could use...
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2642 posts
60 upvotes
East York
LOL I like how every little thing turns into a debate on redflags...

I'm a retail manager for one of the biggest retail companies in Canada and we've donated to weddings, baptisms, stags amongst other things....

Just because YOU don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong or doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Even in these "tough" times...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes
Drew87 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 4:14 pm
LOL I like how every little thing turns into a debate on redflags...

I'm a retail manager for one of the biggest retail companies in Canada and we've donated to weddings, baptisms, stags amongst other things....

Just because YOU don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong or doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Even in these "tough" times...

Funny how I gave my opinion and YOU quoted and commented on it and then I of course responded to correct the stuff that I believe you were wrong about so if that, in your books is a debate, well then I guess you started the debate. Also, just because YOU don't agree with me doesn't make ME wrong about how people feel about it. I would hazzard a guess that if I went into my local Canadian Tire, or Home Depot, or Homesense, or Kelseys, or whatever, with a letter I printed off on my computer, asking for a donation for my friend's stag or wedding shower, they would shoo me out of the place pretty quickly, even if these weren't tough times.

According to this thread, my opinion on this subject is pretty much the same as the majority who have taken the time to post within this thread.

How about naming this "biggest retail" company so that I can go in and arm myself with one of these letters. My husband's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and maybe I can score a donation for the party.
× < >