• Jun 19th, 2018 11:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 30, 2016
55 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Stainless Steel/Metal Straws

Hi, trying to use less plastic in my life, looking to pick up some metal straws. Does anyone have any recommendations for ones without a metal taste?

Not sure if it makes a difference being made in China versus made in USA, but any suggestions would be helpful :)
10 replies
Apr 23, 2018
1 posts
jechin1 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2018 11:46 pm
I too was recently looking for some and ended up getting these. They didn't have any taste or smell to them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01I82 ... UTF8&psc=1
I bought these same straws off of Amazon and I can also vouch that they do not have a smell or taste to them. They are quite wide, however. I use them for bubble tea! For thinner straws, I actually bought reusable plastic straws at IKEA for really cheap a while ago - maybe consider something similar since they are so portable. I use the brush that came with those Amazon straws to clean them!

Or if you are really worried about a taste/smell, think about glass straws as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8245 posts
1457 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you use it an aluminum can, it may have a metallic taste due to electrolysis of dissimilar metals, Al is more active while (stainless) steel is more noble.
Especially in an acidic environment..such as carbonated beverages.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7942 posts
6375 upvotes
Oakville
Daijoubu wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 12:34 pm
If you use it an aluminum can, it may have a metallic taste due to electrolysis of dissimilar metals, Al is more active while (stainless) steel is more noble.
Especially in an acidic environment..such as carbonated beverages.
But the can interior is coated with a plastic layer to prevent the soda from corroding the can.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11979 posts
1745 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Starbucks sold metal drink cups in the summer that came with a metal straw. If u watch tmz, harvey used it often.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8775 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
How do you wash these? The opening is tiny.
Mar 29, 2015
202 posts
69 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rfdrfd wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:37 am
How do you wash these? The opening is tiny.
The pack I got came with a pipe cleaner. After use I try to immediately rinse them to prevent stuck on bits and then hand wash later with the rest of dishes using the pipe cleaner and dish soap.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8775 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
jechin1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:42 am
The pack I got came with a pipe cleaner. After use I try to immediately rinse them to prevent stuck on bits and then hand wash later with the rest of dishes using the pipe cleaner and dish soap.
Thanks. I was thinking the same, have to wash them immediately, it would be tougher to scrape dried up stuff inside it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)