None
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
3733 posts
236 upvotes
Mississauga

stainless steel tension pole shower caddy

hi all,

does anyone know where i can get this for a good price?

(only place i know is linen 'n things...for $69.99...even with 20% off...it is still $56 plus tax)
18 replies
Nov 26, 2004
95 posts
6 upvotes
My wife just bought one two weeks ago at Walmart. I think it was $20 or so.

Not sure if it's stainless steal, but it works great.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
3733 posts
236 upvotes
Mississauga
stainless steel is important because you're gonna see RUST very soon if it's not.
Sep 11, 2007
21 posts
Stouffville
we have that one from Linens and things and even though it says it won't rust it does!!!! Not worth the money...
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
5 upvotes
We got one for ~ $20 it started to show rust (in the connections) after 1 year.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
Most of these are chrome plated steel, which will rust sooner rather than later. And some are "stainless steel" but will eventually rust as well.

If you don't want to deal with rust, solid brass is your best bet. However, they're more expensive and harder to find. And you might not be able to find any on a tension rod.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2797 posts
49 upvotes
Kanata
We bought the one at walmart, piece of junk, there was rust at the connections. It also cracked the drywall on the ceiling, I threw it out a while ago.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7525 posts
372 upvotes
All stainless steels will rust given the right conditions. The only thing you can do is buy the one least likely to.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10158 posts
1106 upvotes
Markham
krazykrazz wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 8:38 am
My wife just bought one two weeks ago at Walmart. I think it was $20 or so.

Not sure if it's stainless steal, but it works great.
That one is not Stainless steal
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10158 posts
1106 upvotes
Markham
Ducky wrote:
Aug 29th, 2008 8:28 am
hi all,

does anyone know where i can get this for a good price?

(only place i know is linen 'n things...for $69.99...even with 20% off...it is still $56 plus tax)
Buy plastic ones, sure will not rust

the ones I bought from Canadian Tire and Walmart , All Rusted

but you can spray paint with Rust-Oleum before you use it or after it starts to rust.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
I have these. They're solid brass so they should not rust (same stuff that faucets are made of). I haven't seen any brass ones with tension rods though.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

Same thing with towel bars, shower curtain rods, etc, make sure you buy ones made entirely with brass if you don't want to deal with rust.
Jan 6, 2009
3 posts
Montreal
Hi,

I'd like to BUMP this post as I am ALSO looking for an ALL STAINLESS shower tension pole. I have already tried 3 models from Canadian Tire, Home Depot and Linen Chest, to no avail, they ALL rusted in LESS THAN 1 MONTH! They are just sprayed with chrome and this will rapidly deteriorate and rust.

However, last week I was on the plane and I saw an ALL STAINLESS STEEL pole. This is exactly what I am looking for.. but it was priced at 200$! Actually, I don't mind paying 200$ if it will last, but I didn't want to buy it on the plane catalog because I want to be able to return it if it rusts (good luck returning items bought in the plane's catalog!).

So, has anyone else got any advice? Again, I'm not looking for a cheap 20$ item at wallmart that won't last.. I want a high end one.

Thanks
Jul 21, 2006
653 posts
5 upvotes
tttttt wrote:
Jan 7th, 2009 3:52 pm
Hi,

I'd like to BUMP this post as I am ALSO looking for an ALL STAINLESS shower tension pole. I have already tried 3 models from Canadian Tire, Home Depot and Linen Chest, to no avail, they ALL rusted in LESS THAN 1 MONTH! They are just sprayed with chrome and this will rapidly deteriorate and rust.

However, last week I was on the plane and I saw an ALL STAINLESS STEEL pole. This is exactly what I am looking for.. but it was priced at 200$! Actually, I don't mind paying 200$ if it will last, but I didn't want to buy it on the plane catalog because I want to be able to return it if it rusts (good luck returning items bought in the plane's catalog!).

So, has anyone else got any advice? Again, I'm not looking for a cheap 20$ item at wallmart that won't last.. I want a high end one.

Thanks
We have had the same problem, we bought the one at Linens and Things with the guarantee not to rust, and it rusted within 6 months.

We have since found a simple human one at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It has a written guarantee not to rust within 5 years. It was not cheap though, was close to $200.

Jay
× < >