Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes

Stale gas in snowblower bad???

Well... winter is coming so its time to get the blowers ready for action. I thought when I stored mine last year that it was empty or nearly so but I opened the tank and the thing is nearly full. It hasnt been run since early March so the gas is 7 month old. What would you all recommend, should I leave it on till it runs out, drain it or just run the blower as I usually do? It's only the second year I have it so I figure the carburetor isn't too full of gunk so it might be able to work through this stale gas, but I'd rather not put a strain on the blower or damage it.
I buy KitKat (the Chocolate) swag, contact me if you have anything to sell with your price!
Share:
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1473 posts
11 upvotes
From what I understand, "stale" gas basically just has water in it. I don't know if it harms the engine, but it will stop it from running. In an airplane, this is a bad thing. In a snowblower...I guess the worst that could happen is you'd have to clean out the carburetor (or whatever you do to a carburetor, I am not a mechanic)
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3701 posts
139 upvotes
I dont think it will matter any more, since you didn't run the snow blower out of gas. You should always run it out of gas so it doesn't gunk up in the carb, but too late now. I don't think it will do anything as long as it seems to be running fine. Since the old gas is already in the carb i dont see what running it with old gas will do.

Lets hope that your snowblower will run. I forgot to run the gas out of my snowblower 2 years ago and the next winter it would only run with the choke on and it had no power. The carb got plugged up with old gas and i had to pay to have it cleaned out.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9784 posts
275 upvotes
If it wont run, I'll have it brought in to get the carburator cleaned out...
I buy KitKat (the Chocolate) swag, contact me if you have anything to sell with your price!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1286 posts
71 upvotes
Edmonton
The main problem with leaving gas in your tank over the year is the octane level in your gas drops, and will not spark as easy.

3 senerios:

If your blower starts, then you should try to use up all the fuel before filling up with fresh gas again.

If you blower starts, but is running rough or needs the choke on to run.,, add some octane booster.

If it doesn't start, then add some octane booster to your tank and try again.

The repair shops would love to charge you for a carb cleaning, but it shouldn't be nesscary.

This also goes for the spare gas that you keep around to fill your snow blower/lawn mower. Don't let it sit too long....a year...
× < >