• Aug 27th, 2009 12:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 20, 2006
187 posts
4 upvotes

Standard Appliance Sizes

Ok, so my new home builder told me that the space for the appliances are "standard" ... can anyone tell me what are "Standard" appliance sizes?

for
fridge
stove
microwave hood fan
dishwasher

Thanks!
11 replies
Jun 9, 2008
56 posts
10 upvotes
There is no such things as standard appliances nowadays. Each comes in different size. Check with the buyers contract/agreement. It should say there
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4653 posts
1046 upvotes
Kitchener
only non-standard size would be the fridge, they come in a range of widths and heights
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
47 upvotes
Generally standard stove is 30" (they also come in 36" but 30" is standard).

Same for hood fan.

Dishwasher is about 24" (maybe 23.5").

As mentioned earlier, fridge can be anysize.
Apr 23, 2009
231 posts
6 upvotes
the builder I'm with is giving us stove cut out width of 31 1/2" and fridge 32" and they are saying this is the standard.

meanwhile i see most stoves are under 30".

I'm very upset as the cost for them to fit the stoves is $650 which is bunch of bull for couple inches. I think they did this on purpose.
Nov 8, 2006
679 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
They are expecting you to have a free standing range rather than a slide-in range.

I just ran into the size problem myself since I am renovating.
Make sure to leave lot of space for your new fridge.

As for dishwasher, its pretty standard ~24"
Free standing range is usually 30", therefore your counter space is ~31-32", professional ones run 36".
Slide-in range is ~29".
Hood is the same size as your range, 30"
Microwave hood fan is also 30"
Fridge is the worse of them all....size all over the place. (I am stuck with a small fridge because of cabinet space).

Take a look at your floor plan, all the dimensions should be there.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Dishwashers - 24" wide (for installation in a cabinet, raising the height, allow 27")
Free-standing and drop-in ranges - 3-" wide
Cook Tops - 30", 36" wide. (Some modular units available in 42" and 48" wide)
Wall Ovens - 27", 30", 36" wide. (Note: since wall ovens are always built-in, actual oven widths vary. The dimensions given here represent the cabinet sizes required.)
Refrigerators - free-standing models, 30 - 36" wide. (Built-in models, up to 48" wide)
Trash Compactors - 15" and 18" wide
Microwave Ovens - Varied
Sinks - Varied, but most are designed to fit in 30", 33" or 36" base cabinets. (Be sure to check manufacturer's specifications on your final selection!)

Source
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5786 posts
213 upvotes
Vancouver
Fridges are the worst. Those sub $1000 fridges..they stick out past the counter like a sore thumb.

You see, most counters are 24-25 inches deep. This is called 'counter depth'. Most fridges these days are somewhere 32+ inches deep.

If you want true counter depth fridge do that it doesn't stick out past the counter, your looking to pay an arm and a leg for one.

There was only 1 brand that I could find that was cheap and close to counter depth.

Samsung 18.7 Cu. Ft. Bottom Mount Refrigerator (RB194ABRS) - Stainless Steel

It's 28 inches deep and it has no handles. Lucky I have a 25 inche deep counter. If you open the door of the fridge, it lines up witht he fridge perfectly.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5310 posts
1189 upvotes
Brampton
My Builder told its Standard as well . how ever i got the sizes by calling the design studio people or you can ask them during interior design appointment
May 26, 2009
91 posts
1 upvote
Our builder clearly told us that if we don't provide specifications, they will use standard appliance sizes as follows:

Free standing stove - 30"
Dishwasher - 24"
Fridge - 36" wide x 72" high
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5786 posts
213 upvotes
Vancouver
Shane1975 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2009 10:05 am
Our builder clearly told us that if we don't provide specifications, they will use standard appliance sizes as follows:

Free standing stove - 30"
Dishwasher - 24"
Fridge - 36" wide x 72" high
Stove and Dishwasher is standard.

I notice they never gave you the depth of the fridge?

Ask them how deep your counter is and ask them how deep the fridge is.

I bet your counter is 24-25 inches deep and the fridge will be 33 inches deep.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5786 posts
213 upvotes
Vancouver
Anonymouse wrote:
Aug 27th, 2009 12:43 pm
Determine which fridge you want to buy and then add 3/4" to the cavity width to account for bowing out of the sheet metal. I didn't allow for the bowing and ended up having to do a lot of work with a belt sander to make my fridge fit.
With a custom kitchen, you can do that..just add a little more space. That's what I did.

With a new built home, it's not as easy. They have standard sizes of cabinets to fit the kitchen and the builder would probably ask for some insane amount to add even 3/4 of an inche to anything.