• Jul 6th, 2009 7:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
18 upvotes

Standing room only seats on airlines?

And maybe you thought Ryanair was cheap with their proposal to charge people for using the washroom....

Apparently a Chinese discount airline is trying to get permission to sell people standing only seats. During take off and landing there would be a special bar-like stool that has a seat belt. Surprisingly Airbus has been studying this idea for years.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-b ... ?track=rss
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15336 posts
561 upvotes
Niagara Falls
asdfvcx wrote:
Jul 5th, 2009 1:06 pm
And maybe you thought Ryanair was cheap with their proposal to charge people for using the washroom....

Apparently a Chinese discount airline is trying to get permission to sell people standing only seats. During take off and landing there would be a special bar-like stool that has a seat belt. Surprisingly Airbus has been studying this idea for years.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-b ... ?track=rss

I heard about this a few years ago, I think even Bill Carroll did a show on it. For short flights I wouldn't really have a problem. I mean 1-3 hours of standing isn't that bad assuming your flight doesn't leave at 6am and you got to the airport at 4am.
Stop being lazy RFD and fix the auto subscription nonsense. This is a damn discussion forum.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24878 posts
2458 upvotes
Ottawa
This, from a country that allows 1000 people on a ferry built for 500 and then does nothing when they drown. Same with their trains and buses. Same country that encourages their citizenry to live in river deltas so tens of thousands can die in the annual floods. Someone needs to go shake those government peoples heads.
Jan 16, 2009
237 posts
4 upvotes
I was on an Aeroflot flight back in the early 70's going from Turbinsk to Moscow. They had sold the seats in the bathrooms-thats right, when someone had to go, the guy would get up, wait a bit, then go sit down again. Basically, standing room only for those guys.
Dec 20, 2008
29 posts
Ottawa
kostek wrote:
Jul 5th, 2009 7:12 pm
I was on an Aeroflot flight back in the early 70's going from Turbinsk to Moscow. They had sold the seats in the bathrooms-thats right, when someone had to go, the guy would get up, wait a bit, then go sit down again. Basically, standing room only for those guys.
Hahaha...in 2001 I was on a flight in East Africa, going from one village to another (about a 45-50 minute trip) and it turned out that they over booked the flight, so instead of rebooking these people on another flight later that day, these fools pulled out little kids stools and put them down in the aisles, I've NEVER seen anything like that before but the people that were given the stools didnt seem to be fazed what so ever, as if that was normal :lol:
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
Lol, and I remember, in the 80s, CP's (Canadian's) flight attendant's union was aghast at the concept of installing retractable/stowable flight attendant seats at the doors, instead of being able to sit in the front and back rows of the cabin.

How times have changed...
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
I'd bet the densities AND comfort for long haul light would go up using this method:

Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1089 posts
63 upvotes
Grimsby
CheapScotsman wrote:
Jul 6th, 2009 12:31 am
I'd bet the densities AND comfort for long haul light would go up using this method:
Ha ha, I remember that scene all to well CheapScotsman. Crossed from Harwich to Holland many times during my army days. Always tried to get the middle bunk, too far off the floor to get puked on, not too high to get hurt if thrown out in rough seas :) Oh happy days
× < >