Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Stanley FATMAX 229 Piece SOCKET Set - Good Quality for Good PRice

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2015 6:54 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Stanley FATMAX 229 Piece SOCKET Set - Good Quality for Good PRice

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stanl ... PFjHVPF_AF

129 dollars for a sockert set that should set you off for life. comes with all sizes you would ever need.

What do you guys think? 129 seems a steal
44 replies
Aug 21, 2011
296 posts
63 upvotes
Got this for 119 in December, use it at work all the time. Great sets, they will last 1-3 years with daily use on a jobsite.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: 129 dollars for a sockert set that should set you off for life. comes with all sizes you would ever need.

What do you guys think? 129 seems a steal
Set you for life? All sizes ever need?
not even close.

This is good for a basic starter socket set. While it is missing lots, it is good for a start. I actually have one of these just for a basic set thrown in the back of my truck for going to the junkyard.
Descent price, will get you started, but no its not for life and not "all the sizes you would ever need"
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
thecdbob wrote: Got this for 119 in December, use it at work all the time. Great sets, they will last 1-3 years with daily use on a jobsite.
only 1-3 years??? thats it?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Set you for life? All sizes ever need?
not even close.

This is good for a basic starter socket set. While it is missing lots, it is good for a start. I actually have one of these just for a basic set thrown in the back of my truck for going to the junkyard.
Descent price, will get you started, but no its not for life and not "all the sizes you would ever need"
welll.....just for the regular homeowner mabye?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
7403 posts
1790 upvotes
one week on a jobsite is probably equivalent to 1 yr of use for the average home owner... how often does the average home owner need to use a socket set ? mostly just to put furniture together, etc.
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: only 1-3 years??? thats it?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1275 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
It seems to be on sale at this price (and even less) somewhat frequently. I have the set and it seems fine but I think in retrospect I prefer the regular chrome. If you don't have anything, I think the price is decent and the tools are decent but I wouldn't sweat it if you miss the 'deal'. I end up using my smaller, regular mastercraft chrome set much more than this. The Stanley set is quite bulky and the operation of the ratchets could be a little smoother but that might be nitpicking.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
mic2074 wrote: one week on a jobsite is probably equivalent to 1 yr of use for the average home owner... how often does the average home owner need to use a socket set ? mostly just to put furniture together, etc.
Your statement is complete and utter nonsense. What job site other than a garage even uses sockets heavily? Even mechanics in garages use impact gear most of the time, especially for suspension and steering work.
These will do anyone just fine if used for the intended use and in the intended manner.

I wouldn't buy black chrome gear myself as the black eventually wears off items like ratchet handles looking like someone coated a regular chrome tool with shoe polish, all blotchy. However the tool will still work as intended.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
7403 posts
1790 upvotes
Professional handyman that go to ppl homes... Or professionals that repair various machinery - from your homes laundry set to those that repair professional equipment for dry cleaners... Etc.
betamaxman wrote: Your statement is complete and utter nonsense. What job site other than a garage even uses sockets heavily? Even mechanics in garages use impact gear most of the time, especially for suspension and steering work.
These will do anyone just fine if used for the intended use and in the intended manner.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
A professional handy man? Would have to be one who doesn't know how to use his tools and care for them properly, and still he or she is going to me more concerned with their power tools, ladders, as that is what most handy men will use the most often.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Aug 21, 2011
296 posts
63 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: only 1-3 years??? thats it?
That's oilfield use, using it every day. It's the cases that wear out before anything begins to happen to the sockets. And once that happens you start losing them. If you get a toolbox they will last you years.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
3111 posts
3201 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: better to look for a deal on a mastercraft pro set. they have lifetime warranty and are better quality then this in general.
You realize the OP set has lifetime exchange too right?
Nov 15, 2009
582 posts
512 upvotes
I had a stanley set and I find the quality pretty poor. Ratchet will be the fisrt to break. Ive snapped 2 in half already. I work on my car 4-5 times a year.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
yu130960 wrote: Are the socket sizes etched so that in a year you can't tell what size any of them are?
Hah! I'm glad at least one other person can see this obvious flaw in these cheap junk tools. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2570 posts
461 upvotes
I bought this set back in November for $109, I believe. That's probably the cheapest it'll ever be going forward, and it may be once per year that it hits that price. A couple years ago, it sold for an all-time low of $99.

For people that rarely use sockets like me, it's probably overkill. The thing I like most about this set is how many of the 229 pieces are actually sockets, because many other sets include a lot more screwdriver bits which counts toward the total. It's actually a pretty big and heavy set to lug around.
Mar 6, 2006
15 posts
6 upvotes
I've had this same set for years. I've used and abused them and I've had no issues. I've yet to break a socket and the ratchets are all in perfect working order. I would definitely recommend them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
yu130960 wrote: Are the socket sizes etched so that in a year you can't tell what size any of them are?
Until nuts and bolts come with the size stamped on the top of them as well this seems a pretty small issue. :lol:
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)