Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Asus RTAC87U AC2400 router $137 YMMV, instore.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2017 11:33 am
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
WKH777 wrote: I just bought it an hour ago (Markham). I got 10% off as well since it was an open box BUT it was untouched in plastic so pretty sweet deal. They had one more but rep told me the box was in bad condition.

BTW, Currently I have Netgear R6400 AC1750. Is the upgrade worth it to Asus RT-AC87 AC2400? Any personal experience on either of these?
what is your internet speed ? devices ? ... it could be that both are overkill ...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Something to consider if your local stores have no stock, ask a clerk to find one for you in another store elsewhere and you buy and they ship it to their store. I have done this in the past from a store out of province (new brunswick to pei) without hassle, so worth a try.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Nov 24, 2006
567 posts
684 upvotes
Winnipeg
Am I the only one out there that didn't know that "RTAC87U AC2400" is a router and not any of the other many types of devices Asus makes?

I just think it would be so much easier for everyone if OP included the word "router" in the title. Takes 3 more seconds and saves everyone some time if they're not interested in routers. This type of thing is common on RFD. I just wish it wasn't, so RFD can be a bit more user friendly.

*end rant... Thanks for listening*
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
gojetsgo wrote: Am I the only one out there that didn't know that "RTAC87U AC2400" is a router and not any of the other many types of devices Asus makes?

I just think it would be so much easier for everyone if OP included the word "router" in the title. Takes 3 more seconds and saves everyone some time if they're not interested in routers. This type of thing is common on RFD. I just wish it wasn't, so RFD can be a bit more user friendly.

*end rant... Thanks for listening*
Done, though most people on here know the difference and if not the part AC2400 is a good clue. But ya many might not so done.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Mar 22, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
lubmar wrote: what is your internet speed ? devices ? ... it could be that both are overkill ...
So internet is rogers 250 mbps. 5 users. 5 phones, 2 tablets, 3 comp, ps4, s-tv and a receiver.
Rogers router is not powerful for us and signal strength was not enough most of the house.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
WKH777 wrote: So internet is rogers 250 mbps. 5 users. 5 phones, 2 tablets, 3 comp, ps4, s-tv and a receiver.
Rogers router is not powerful for us and signal strength was not enough most of the house.
Do you feel your router is bottlenecking your internet? If not, then the upgrade will likely do little, except perhaps thinning the wallet. I suggest you overclock your router from stock 800 Mhz to 1000 Mhz, then to 1200 Mhz and see if it runs stable. If you can run with a 50% overclock, you just bought a new router without paying anything for it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
I must say this routers web gui is a royal pain compared to netgears smoothness.
Make some settings leaves wireless on and devices connected but internet not accessible until a reboot. Then sometimes when clicking on a setting I get something like "settings have been updated, ip changed .... to access the router login with the new ip" Anyway logging back in gets you back to where you were. I also saw a page stating my router wasn't an asus one and that the firmware might not work properly.
I think most of my wooes are because this router sits behind bells actiontec 1000 router/modem, need the dam thing for the tv service.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: I must say this routers web gui is a royal pain compared to netgears smoothness.
Make some settings leaves wireless on and devices connected but internet not accessible until a reboot. Then sometimes when clicking on a setting I get something like "settings have been updated, ip changed .... to access the router login with the new ip" Anyway logging back in gets you back to where you were. I also saw a page stating my router wasn't an asus one and that the firmware might not work properly.
I think most of my wooes are because this router sits behind bells actiontec 1000 router/modem, need the dam thing for the tv service.
Are you running the modem as a router also? It's quite the mess if you run two routers in the same network.
Feb 15, 2017
224 posts
70 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: I must say this routers web gui is a royal pain compared to netgears smoothness.

Anyway logging back in gets you back to where you were. I also saw a page stating my router wasn't an asus one and that the firmware might not work properly.
I found that working with a new UI is almost always a pain.

Re: router was not an Asus one, have you upgraded it to the latest (Feb 14 2017) firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380.7266?
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC ... _Download/

When it was released this router was not working to its potential, but it was fixed last year, almost 2 years after it was released. This was probably why there were lots of return, and lots of people might be experimenting with it because of third party firmware support (DD-WRT). Was it an open box? If it is, it may be someone's failed experiment with a 3rd party firmware. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
slomoo wrote: I found that working with a new UI is almost always a pain.

Re: router was not an Asus one, have you upgraded it to the latest (Feb 14 2017) firmware version: 3.0.0.4.380.7266?
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC ... _Download/

When it was released this router was not working to its potential, but it was fixed last year, almost 2 years after it was released. This was probably why there were lots of return, and lots of people might be experimenting with it because of third party firmware support (DD-WRT). Was it an open box? If it is, it may be someone's failed experiment with a 3rd party firmware. ;)
Yes, upgrading was the first thing I did as it was the first thing prompted.
My main complaint is wifi seems to die after some changes made in the gui, requiring a reboot after which everything is fine. Lol I also had what I thought was an issue with the 5 gz radio because I accidentally hit the wifi button shutting down the 5 gz radio but not the 2.4 radio, seems one push does one radio and two or more does both radios requiring similar efforts to turn both on again, but anyway as you say perhaps it's a getting used to thing. There are other small things that at least don't seem to work right, but as I said that may be due to the asus being used as a router behind the actiontec as the actiontec is required for fibre tv and there doesn't seem to be any apparent way to set it in any kind of bridged mode.
Thanks I do appreciate the feedback.
will888 wrote: Are you running the modem as a router also? It's quite the mess if you run two routers in the same network.
Yes and bridged doesn't seem possible and functionality is quite reduced with the asus in ap mode, and it was dog ass slow.
It seems to be fine now in the present configuration and everything is fast again.
I did originally have the r7000 also in ap mode, but later after a reset after a firmware upgrade it automatically set itself up in router mode with the actiontec, but then perhaps that is why the subsequent upgrade failed placing the r7000 in recovery mode. Anyway we are thinking of dropping the tv service, if so hopefully I can use this router to it's full potential and ditch the actiontec. The wifi on the actiontec is crap, and of course wifi is disabled on the actiontec.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)