Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

BlackBerry PRIV $859 after $40 off $400 coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2015 2:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
simplylgg wrote: For those who want to know a bit more about why they should pick PRIV and why I am buying it:

What makes the Blackberry Priv matters is it is designed to protect users instead of exploit them or damage them. How’s that for a change? The difference
is one of respect – full in one, lack of in others.

Exploitation by Apple via its ecosystem of services and incompatible ports is legendary. Apple makes ‘lock customer in’ a fine art. It’s motto is maximum profit from
maximum exploitation. Exploitation by stock Android is not by devious design as in Apple, but by its open architecture and many variants. Just about anybody can hack
into Android, and so many apps builders have become hackers by its business model.

Blackberry took a lot of trouble and investment to fix Android extreme vulnerability. It uses Qualcomm SecuredMSM technology, uses an embedded cryptographic key
on every phone, implements secured boot and encrypted disk, redesigned the kernel to harden it which include running apps in protected space firewalled to the kernel.
All to all to make the platform itself secured. Then Blackberry installs its own proprietary software like image lockin, DTEK to capture apps unsecured violations. Apps to
do secured messaging, audio and video conference using its own highly secured encryption technology in its own BBM network. Finally and very importantly, Blackberry
addressed the Android multi-variant vulnerability by not only releasing security updates monthly, but the ability to directly patch into its modified Android for immediate
fix of critical issues.

I am listing the above security features in more details because I can find no reviews that cover them. Privacy is the essence of PRIV. Security is not cheap, very difficult
and very high-tech. That’s why even with Google vast financial power it cannot fix Android unsecurity. It takes a Blackberry to do it. It takes a company with the know-how,
and just as importantly, the right attitude of respect for people. Exploitation is not in its vocabulary. Services, solutions and safety are.
Excellent post.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
lol a little too expensive to stoke a bit of nostalgia for me... Maybe at half price I would have considered it. Stll, that price point might come yet. :)
Nov 20, 2015
104 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
payam1981 wrote: lol a little too expensive to stoke a bit of nostalgia for me... Maybe at half price I would have considered it. Stll, that price point might come yet. :)
I'm betting they will release another android and priv will drop price then.

Maybe not a steep drop as seen by Q5 selling for $299 on their store. Do they move any Q5 at that price? Why do they even list it?

Overcharging for devices will never change with Blackberry.
Jul 14, 2012
83 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto Ontario Cana…
I agree. Both PRIV users will appreciate the added security.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
2105 posts
686 upvotes
I am not saying PRIV is not expensive and I would have loved to buy it for under $500, but it is unfair to criticize BB while Apple charging a lot more for an inferior phone (HW wise) in
iPhone 6S plus and none of you who are complaining about the BB price are not complaining about that. Compare to the Apple BB is a bargain. Let's do some comparison (I can't get the formatting work :( ):

BB PRIV vs iPhone 6s Plus
Weight (g) 192.00 192.00
Battery capacity (mAh) 3410 2750
Removable battery No No

Display
Screen size (inches) 5.40 5.50
Resolution 1440x2560 pixels 1080x1920 pixels
Pixels per inch (PPI) 540 401
Hardware
Processor 1.44GHz
Processor make Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 (8 core) A9 (4 core)
RAM 3GB 2GB
Internal storage 32GB 16GB
Expandable storage Yes No
Expandable storage type microSD No
Expandable storage up to (GB) 2000 No
Camera
Rear camera 18-megapixel 12-megapixel

Software
Operating System Android 5.1.1 iOS 9
Skin
Connectivity
Wi-Fi Yes Yes
Wi-Fi standards supported 802.11 a/ b/ g/ n/ ac 802.11 a/ b/ g/ n/ ac
GPS Yes Yes
NFC Yes Yes

Wi-Fi Direct Yes No
Number of SIMs 1 1
SIM Type Nano-SIM Nano-SIM
GSM/ CDMA GSM GSM
3G Yes Yes
4G/ LTE Yes Yes
Sensors
Compass/ Magnetometer Yes Yes
Proximity sensor Yes Yes
Accelerometer Yes Yes
Ambient light sensor Yes Yes
Gyroscope Yes Yes
Temperature sensor No No
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Just a reminder to stay on topic, this includes not asking for or posting Staples codes as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1266 posts
642 upvotes
Oakville
simplylgg wrote: I am not saying PRIV is not expensive and I would have loved to buy it for under $500, but it is unfair to criticize BB while Apple charging a lot more for an inferior phone (HW wise) in
iPhone 6S plus and none of you who are complaining about the BB price are not complaining about that. Compare to the Apple BB is a bargain. Let's do some comparison (I can't get the formatting work :( ):
I'd compare it regular size iPhone 6s which is same price as Priv. I'm coming from the Passport and better bang for the buck would be 6S over Priv. To each their own but there is no way I'm choosing an android device that's priced the same as the latest iPhone 6S.
Oct 11, 2004
845 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Lol at the Priv...cost of ownership is huge compared to the iphone because in a year I can sell the iphone for like 20% less than I paid for it brand new and the Priv will be worth basically nothing
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
PrimaryTech wrote: I'd compare it regular size iPhone 6s which is same price as Priv. I'm coming from the Passport and better bang for the buck would be 6S over Priv. To each their own but there is no way I'm choosing an android device that's priced the same as the latest iPhone 6S.
Spec wise the 6S+ is more closer to the Priv than the 6S. The 6S has only a 1334 x 750 screen, and has a much weaker 1715 mAh battery, as well as no OIS in the camera. The 6S+ is a much better comparison to the Priv when you consider everything.

With that said, Apple did a much better job of software/hardware integration using lower spec'd components than any Android devices. One thing I do not like is their greed. And BB is copying that greed. But what Chen does not realize is that BB cannot afford to copy anything right now, if they want to survive with their hardware, especially their legacy BB10 devices.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
1266 posts
642 upvotes
Oakville
libballeng wrote: Spec wise the 6S+ is more closer to the Priv than the 6S. The 6S has only a 1334 x 750 screen, and has a much weaker 1715 mAh battery, as well as no OIS in the camera. The 6S+ is a much better comparison to the Priv when you consider everything.

With that said, Apple did a much better job of software/hardware integration using lower spec'd components than any Android devices. One thing I do not like is their greed. And BB is copying that greed. But what Chen does not realize is that BB cannot afford to copy anything right now, if they want to survive with their hardware, especially their legacy BB10 devices.
Apple handsets traditionally were never up to par in regards to specs. Therefore, there's lots of phones who beat 6s specs. That's not the argument I'm having. I'm talking about economics of which phone you would drop $900 on. Priv or regular iPhone 6s. Decision on my end is fairly easy. I had SE Passport and as soon as I heard android Priv was coming out I sold SE, got the ip6s+. If I was forced between Priv and regular size ip6s, I'd take 6s.

Now things would have changed possibly if Priv was priced in the 600ish range. I would have probably tried it out and who knows, might have enjoyed android on BB handset.

And I agree wth you. Greed is killing them and eventually might kill them off.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
I had a comment about the Priv representing poor value against other phones at that price, both the iPhone and even the Nexus 6P
Mar 22, 2008
35 posts
5 upvotes
North York
TransporterSD wrote: I agree
It is an excellent post but you forgot to mention that the OS is Android not BBOS so whatever vulnerability exists in Android OS will propagate to it. Please remember that BB did not rewrite the Android OS, it is just using it.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12574 upvotes
Markham
simplylgg wrote: I am not saying PRIV is not expensive and I would have loved to buy it for under $500, but it is unfair to criticize BB while Apple charging a lot more for an inferior phone (HW wise) in

BB PRIV vs iPhone 6s Plus
Weight (g) 192.00 192.00
Battery capacity (mAh) 3410 2750
Removable battery No No

Display
Screen size (inches) 5.40 5.50
Resolution 1440x2560 pixels 1080x1920 pixels
Pixels per inch (PPI) 540 401
Hardware
Processor 1.44GHz
Processor make Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 (8 core) A9 (4 core)
RAM 3GB 2GB
Internal storage 32GB 16GB
Expandable storage Yes No
Expandable storage type microSD No
Expandable storage up to (GB) 2000 No
Camera
Rear camera 18-megapixel 12-megapixel

Software
Operating System Android 5.1.1 iOS 9
Skin
Connectivity
Wi-Fi Yes Yes
Wi-Fi standards supported 802.11 a/ b/ g/ n/ ac 802.11 a/ b/ g/ n/ ac
GPS Yes Yes
NFC Yes Yes

Wi-Fi Direct Yes No
Number of SIMs 1 1
SIM Type Nano-SIM Nano-SIM
GSM/ CDMA GSM GSM
3G Yes Yes
4G/ LTE Yes Yes
Sensors
Compass/ Magnetometer Yes Yes
Proximity sensor Yes Yes
Accelerometer Yes Yes
Ambient light sensor Yes Yes
Gyroscope Yes Yes
Temperature sensor No No
You forgot resell value :) ,the gap between retail price and resell value is your true ownership cost, just like buying house.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
vilator wrote: Do you go into iPhone threads and post about how samsung is better? Why do it here? People who buy BB obviously know what they are buying. Stop being dumb. I've moved around from blackberry to android, but you don't see me trashing BB every chance I get. Who cares if samsung is cheaper, some people prefer BB. Its like people go out of their way on RFD to bash BB. Who cares if you don't like them, nobody cares.
Exactly. It's ridiculous. If 40 off is a good deal for you go get it. If not stfu and get out. Why people have this need to go into deal threads and bash blackberry is beyond me.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8049 posts
8626 upvotes
Downtown Canada
where are you guys getting the codes from?
Dec 5, 2015
765 posts
926 upvotes
Verdun, QC
TransporterSD wrote: where are you guys getting the codes from?
There's a link on the first page to a mega coupon request thread you can ask for a code there. Good luck.

I want a BB priv I've read the reviews just like every bs experts in this thread and I still want it. I do find it expensive so I might wait for a better price to come up. Hopefully in the new year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
tark514 wrote: There's a link on the first page to a mega coupon request thread you can ask for a code there. Good luck.

I want a BB priv I've read the reviews just like every bs experts in this thread and I still want it. I do find it expensive so I might wait for a better price to come up. Hopefully in the new year.
A lof of the reviews are positive if you factor out apple fanboy sites. We got some at work to play around with and I really REALLY liked it.