Boxing Day 2013 Deals Archive

Staples Boxing Week Specials Flyer Live Now (Dec 26 - Jan 3)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2014 9:36 pm
Jan 14, 2011
77 posts
12 upvotes
What happened to the prices on all the budget laptops at staples? I swear when I looked at the flyer a few days ago those laptops were all priced between 350 - 400 $. Now they are all showing between 420-430$. What gives? is it a regional thing (im in calgary). Or did someone doctor the flyer that I was looking at before?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7168 posts
1740 upvotes
Not sure if Staples made a mistake but the items in their flyer are already available online at Boxing Day prices. Start shopping! I just bought a laser printer.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3146 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
it says at the top of the flyer that you can start shopping online on 12/24
Dec 3, 2012
2 posts
BRAMPTON
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 7:48 pm
I have one that I paid $199 for. Not sure if I should keep it or try to get whatever I can for it now.
very confused, can't fint surface RT 64GB online selling $299. I called to customer service after her verification she said this particular item only available instock only because it stated clearly (min 3unit per store) ... :-(
Dec 20, 2013
33 posts
5 upvotes
walker2238 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 8:04 am
It's actually a decent monitor for the price. The problem is that it's been going for $130 for the past month... Why it's $10 more on BD I don't know.
I ended up ordering the Acer last night.

Not sure how I feel about my decision as Dell.ca has some decent deals like the S2340L for $150 or even the 27" Ultrasharp that's usually $799 is on for $520, but I don't wanna spend quite that much :razz:
Nov 7, 2005
422 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 7:08 pm
The Playbook hatred casts a long shadow...
Nah, you took my comment wrong my friend. I've got a playbook that I got for a song and I use it regularly. I won't say I love it but it's real handy and adequate for what I want it to do.

My comment was just my smart a** way of saying that the RT is headed down the same path to obsolescence. Microsoft has kinda, sortof, maybe said they won't support that OS anymore.

http://seekingalpha.com/currents/post/1432291

That's not written in stone so take heart if you've got one.

And to the guy who bought one for $200: I'd probably pick up this model for that. But again, I'm only demanding email and web browsing from a tablet. I don't really use apps.
824 posts
103 upvotes
The surface is a slow tegra 3 tablet, you probably have to buy the keyboard seperately as well. For 300$ its definitely not worth it, Android has a better app store for ARM tablets anyways, few people are developing for Windows RT. Its actually cost Microsoft millions because no one was buying them, they are definitely on their way out.

For a 100$ more you can get a retina display tegra 4 tablet:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6834231350
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2021 upvotes
Nowhere
Fit4Fun wrote:
Dec 24th, 2013 7:49 am
Few deals here. Why is this store still in business?
You really have to wonder sometimes. I went in this afternoon to pick up the 100 pk of the Staples DVD-R. I get to the cash and there are no cashiers. No lights on. I walk around looking then find a guy at the far register talking to a customer. There are shopping carts filled with products blocking the way but he appears to be the only cashier. I stand there for several minutes while he talks to this customer. He looked at me multiple times then finally says his register isn't open. I point out that there are no other cashiers. He looks around and can't find anyone. He tells me to go over there. Real specific. It took several more minutes and me saying loudly "It's Boxing Day and you have no cashiers available. I guess everything is free today" before someone appeared.
Feb 1, 2011
128 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
mikek33 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2013 11:51 am
+1 - would like to hear people's thoughts on these monitors on sale for boxing day:

1. Staples Acer H236HLbid $139.98
2. Futureshop HP 24WD $99.99
3. Canada Computers AOC E2425SWD $99.99
The Acer is an IPS display while the other two are LED screens. LED monitors, depending on the quality of the panel, can be hit or miss. They have a strong tendency to "bleed" colors on the screen and also have issues with the colors changing from slight changes in viewing angles.

I got (2) cheap Acer LEDs on a boxing week sale a few years ago that I use for trading currencies. The worst part is that I use very specific colors on my trading charts like "Gainsboro Gray" or "Dodger Blue." If I move my head even a foot to the side I can see the colors changing. I have no idea if those monitors have some special new technology that makes that any better but from my experience you are better off getting an IPS panel - even if color accuracy doesn't matter to you.
Jan 18, 2013
544 posts
162 upvotes
Calgary
Cheap Cat wrote:
Dec 26th, 2013 3:36 pm
You really have to wonder sometimes. I went in this afternoon to pick up the 100 pk of the Staples DVD-R. I get to the cash and there are no cashiers. No lights on. I walk around looking then find a guy at the far register talking to a customer. There are shopping carts filled with products blocking the way but he appears to be the only cashier. I stand there for several minutes while he talks to this customer. He looked at me multiple times then finally says his register isn't open. I point out that there are no other cashiers. He looks around and can't find anyone. He tells me to go over there. Real specific. It took several more minutes and me saying loudly "It's Boxing Day and you have no cashiers available. I guess everything is free today" before someone appeared.
Maybe they were also OOS of cashiers.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2449 posts
2682 upvotes
Fredericton
KarinKasia wrote:
Dec 26th, 2013 9:29 pm
Maybe they were also OOS of cashiers.
No, they just hid them all out back.