Shopping Discussion

Locked: [STAPLES] The Cartridge Incident

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 9:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1094 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:01 pm
They didn't exactly have a proof that he didn't do it either. So shut it Mr. Logic.
Was the printer turned on?

What is the imaginary reason you came up for him stealing the cartridges and risking his job?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
BornRuff wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:01 pm
Why would you expect the manager to be neutral in this? He obviously doesn't want to believe he hired people to work in his store who would steal random stuff like that. I would always expect my manager to defend me against allegations like that. He would look into it himself afterward if he believed it was a legitimate concern, but publicly you need to maintain confidence in your employees.
Hurray for your thoughts on proper managerial skills.
Your claim really makes no sense. Why would he steal your printer cartridges? The ones that come with new printers are usually dinky sample sized ones anyways.
What is the imaginary reason you came up for him stealing the cartridges and risking his job?
Are you suggesting that I took them out and returned it liked that? So it makes more sense that the customer is lying over $50 but the employee wouldn't dare do it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 6:54 pm
So what did they find? (if anything) Yes, I have no solid proof. But as one customer to another, the look the employee passed alone was ENOUGH for me to know that he was lying. Thats no proof, but sometimes you just KNOW it and that is why I wanted them to take a look at the surveillance tapes, and agreed that if I was wrong, I'll keep the printer with me.

It was agreed upon, and I repeated it the next day when I went, that I will NOT accept a refund if indeed I am wrong. Needless to say initially the manager stressed on this part alot too when I brought it up. It just doesn't compute, for them to create such a mess of this matter based on 'blind faith in their employee' and then make a refund thinking I'm trying to pull of a scam.

Mr Becks here seems to see through this matter. There was no reason for the manager to get so defensive for something his employee did.
yeah, so and now what ???

As you paint it, the employee probably yanked the goods ... yeah, so and now what???

The manager didn't want to believe it, wasn't interesting in really doing anything, maybe even didn't check the tapes and just said they couldn't see anything ... yeah, so and now what ???

what is the point? That people aren't logical (most aren't), say one thing and do another (we all have) ... etc, etc, etc ...

yeah, so and now what???
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1094 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:04 pm
Are you suggesting that I took them out and returned it liked that? So it makes more sense that the customer is lying over $50 but the employee wouldn't dare do it.
No such suggestion has been made, why would you think we were suggesting that...

was the printer turned on?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
Ojam wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:09 pm
No such suggestion has been made, why would you think we were suggesting that...
Well, you obviously think they have no reason to do it. So unless the cartridge fairy came and took it, what other possibility is there left?
Ojam wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:09 pm
was the printer turned on?
They didn't turn it on. No.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1094 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:12 pm
They didn't turn it on. No.
What is the model number of the printer?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
What difference does that make?
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
158 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:04 pm
Hurray for your thoughts on proper managerial skills.
Well, the majority of your post is about how you think the manager handled the situation poorly. If you are just going to blow off people who try to discuss this with you, why do you bother posting on a forum? Get a blog instead.
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:04 pm
Are you suggesting that I took them out and returned it liked that? So it makes more sense that the customer is lying over $50 but the employee wouldn't dare do it.
I have no idea what you did. If we look at what you just said there though, you do have much more incentive to lie than the employee does. How much are those ink cartridges really worth? There is no way the guy is going to be able to turn around and sell them for 50 bucks. You have $50 at stake, you are suggesting that the kid risked loosing his job(worth much more than $50) over some dinky ink cartridges which are maybe worth $10.

Maybe you misplaced them, who knows. You got your money back either way.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 29, 2006
1712 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Reminds me of my favourite staples incident...ah memories.

I can't even imagine if my manager didn't believe in me for a much higher ticket item. But in my case, the guy was just suspicious, did not defend himself (instead looked to RFD for sympathy, but they quickly turned on him because he was sketchy), nor did he use his real name when returning (nothing to hide?)

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/stap ... nd-526947/
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1094 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:18 pm
What difference does that make?
According to the HP website it's current low end is the Deskjet D2660 (59.99), and according to the manual in order to remove the cart, and I'm going to quote from the manual with the important part bolded

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01700644.pdf
Replace the cartridges
To replace the cartridges
1. Check that power is on.
2. Remove cartridge.
a. Open cartridge door.
Wait for print carriage to move to center of the product.

b. Press down to release cartridge, then remove it from slot.
in order to remove the cartridge the power would have to be turned on, this is the case with the majority of HP printers. From your own account you say the power was never turned on,
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:12 pm
They didn't turn it on. No.
this would make it impossible for the clerk to remove it. So Mr. logic, what happened to them?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
201 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:26 pm
So Mr. logic, what happened to them?
Are you that obtuse?

The magical fairies took them. ;)
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
So Im discussing it on a forum. Whats the big deal? Who's forcing everyone to post here? Get a blog? Haha seems like a trend here to put off other members like that. Been reading those comments everywhere. I didn't mean to blow you off (or anyone who doesn't come here with a "I know it all", "so now what" attitude). But really, is a manager suppose to resolve conflicts or stick by their employees? Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right'. I would rather have him look into the matter and come to a conclusion after some investigation rather than relying on 'trust'. Yeah... maybe in a perfect world everyone is trustworthy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
336 upvotes
Ancaster
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:28 pm
So Im discussing it on a forum. Whats the big deal? Who's forcing everyone to post here? Get a blog? Haha seems like a trend here to put off other members like that. Been reading those comments everywhere. I didn't mean to blow you off (or anyone who doesn't come here with a "I know it all", "so now what" attitude). But really, is a manager suppose to resolve conflicts or stick by their employees?
Stick by their employees. It's called damage control. Maybe the guy was in the wrong. Maybe he wasn't. Either way, it's bad for business for you to know the truth. Hence the refund and GTFO.
Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right'.
Doesn't exist. You shouldn't have said that -- a lot of RFDers do not like that mentality of entitlement.
I would rather have him look into the matter and come to a conclusion after some investigation rather than relying on 'trust'. Yeah... maybe in a perfect world everyone is trustworthy.
Time is money. As a retailer, it makes no sense for him to invest more than the cost of the item disputed in an investigation.

Look, I'm trying to be straight with you. From your point of view, I can see one of four possibilities:
  1. You took them, intentionally or carelessly. As you said -- there is no reason to trust the employee. Likewise, there is no reason to trust you. I hope you understand that I'm not trying to slander you.
  2. The employee took them out -- and left it out by mistake. The error was found after your initial complaint. Again, the manager defends the employee for sake of public image. If the team turns on each other at every little incident, then in all honesty the teamwork at Staples would suck. Again, the punishment the employee might receive would be behind closed doors.
  3. The manager told the employee to take it out and prevent the refund. You'll never be able to force this out of the manager.
  4. Simple misunderstanding.
The fact of the matter is, you're looking for justice. The problem is you're looking for it in the wrong place. The store's role is to sell good and make a profit. It has no onus to provide justice. That's the job of the legal system. You're forcing the store to perform a role that it has no onus to perform, at a cost to them when their sole purpose is to minimize cost. To serve you would actually damage, and hence be unjust, to them.

Furthermore, justice has already been restored to you. The employee receiving punishment has no implications on your well-being in any way. You've received your feedback, and suffered really no damage from this whole incident
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
Ojam wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:26 pm
According to the HP website it's current low end is the Deskjet D2660 (59.99), and according to the manual in order to remove the cart, and I'm going to quote from the manual with the important part bolded

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01700644.pdf


in order to remove the cartridge the power would have to be turned on, this is the case with the majority of HP printers. From your own account you say the power was never turned on,


this would make it impossible for the clerk to remove it. So Mr. logic, what happened to them?
It wasn't an HP printer to begin with.
You need only to turn on the printer if the cartridge is hidden behind other parts... as it slides alone horizontally so depending on when you switched it off, it could either be infront of you, or not in which case you need to turn it on to bring it in the center.
This is manual for the printer I got. Canon iP2600.
http://www.retrevo.com/r/23126ag602/18/ ... Cartridge/

It was the cheapest one they had which didn't work for me under Win 7 (x64 bit).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:47 pm
This is manual for the printer I got. Canon iP2600.
http://www.retrevo.com/r/23126ag602/18/ ... Cartridge/

It was the cheapest one they had which didn't work for me under Win 7 (x64 bit).
Could have saved multiple return trips to Staples and the ensuing aggravation by downloading the latest Windows 7 64 bit driver for this printer from Canon USA
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=16278

Top