• Nov 11th, 2009 9:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
felixdd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:45 pm
Look, I'm trying to be straight with you. From your point of view, I can see one of four possibilities:
  1. You took them, intentionally or carelessly. As you said -- there is no reason to trust the employee. Likewise, there is no reason to trust you. I hope you understand that I'm not trying to slander you.
Understood. But as it stands, they are no where to be found. I only own HP printers so I had no intentions on keeping them anyway. Why would I keep the "$10" cartridges
felixdd wrote:
[*] The employee took them out -- and left it out by mistake. The error was found after your initial complaint. Again, the manager defends the employee for sake of public image. If the team turns on each other at every little incident, then in all honesty the teamwork at Staples would suck. Again, the punishment the employee might receive would be behind closed doors.
That is initally what I said (read my first post). But the manager got offended and said Im accusing the guy of stealing.
felixdd wrote:
Furthermore, justice has already been restored to you. The employee receiving punishment has no implications on your well-being in any way. You've received your feedback, and suffered really no damage from this whole incident
Im simply discussing it. I don't see whats wrong with that. Its not that I even posted in a wrong section. Whats the point of a discussion forum? It seems more people here (maybe managers or employees themselves) are getting offended for no reason. Im not attacking anyone personally here.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:47 pm
It wasn't an HP printer to begin with.
You need only to turn on the printer if the cartridge is hidden behind other parts... as it slides alone horizontally so depending on when you switched it off, it could either be infront of you, or not in which case you need to turn it on to bring it in the center.
This is manual for the printer I got. Canon iP2600.
http://www.retrevo.com/r/23126ag602/18/ ... Cartridge/

It was the cheapest one they had which didn't work for me under Win 7 (x64 bit).
The instructions for your Canon are still (roughly) the same as the HP model Ojam cited:

[INDENT]1. Open the Paper Output Tray
2. Make sure that the printer is turned on, and then open the Top Cover. (the FINE cartridge holder moves to the left)
3. Remove the empty FINE cartridge
- push down on the FINE cartridge
- remove the FINE cartridge[/INDENT]

Interestingly, your belief of not having to turn on the printer in order to remove the cartridge is something that could ruin it: the manual states to not hold the FINE Cartridge holder to stop or move it.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
337 upvotes
Ancaster
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:53 pm
Understood. But as it stands, they are no where to be found. I only own HP printers so I had no intentions on keeping them anyway. Why would I keep the "$10" cartridges
The cartridges are worth more if bought separately in a B&M store than they are if you buy it with a printer.

That is initally what I said (read my first post). But the manager got offended and said Im accusing the guy of stealing.
It sounds a lot like you were, to him. Can you stand in his shoes and see that?

Lets not put any more personal interpretations and look at the hard facts. We don't know if he was offended; verbally and officially, he was defending his employee (which is reasonable, given the reasons I discussed, agree?)

Furthermore, your "clue" that something was amiss was of the way the employee looked when he saw you again. Much like you said the manager was biased, were you not biased as well? Perhaps that bias led you to mis-interpret his appearance/behavior?

Look, you walked in angry, looking for retribution and justice. What do you want from them exactly? Admission of wrong-doing? You're not going to get it from them unfortunately no matter how much it's (un)deserved, simply because Staples sells office supplies, and not retribution. They have already compensated the only way they know how -- by giving you a refund.

EDIT: changed one line because I mis-read your response to my initial post.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
45ED wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:58 pm
The instructions for your Canon are still the same as the HP model Ojam cited:
True but between my friends and I, we have 4 different canon inkjet printers and they all work this way ...

Ensuring that the power is on and opening the cover causes the cartridge holder to move from the side (where you can't access the cartridges) to the middle of the unit so that the cartridges themselves can be removed.

If you don't power it up, you can still reach into the unit and just pull the cartridge holder along the rail into the center of the unit ... and, hence, access the cartridges.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1094 upvotes
http://www.canon.ca/support_images/Righ ... _U4_V1.pdf
[QUOTE]
Replacing a FINE Cartridge
When FINE cartridges run out of Ink, replace them using the following steps
1 Open the Paper Output Tray
2 Make sure the printer is turned on, and then open the Top Cover
3 Push down the FINE Cartridge
4 Remove the FINE Cartridge
[/QUOTE]

Still requires power
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
felixdd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:59 pm
It sounds a lot like you were, to him. Can you stand in his shoes and see that
Yes I can see that. And indirectly, the manager was accusing me as well. Which is why I wanted solid proof and have him look at the serveillance footage and see for ourselves who was the liar here.
Lets not put any more personal interpretations and look at the hard facts. We don't know if he was offended; verbally and officially, he was defending his employee (which is reasonable, given the reasons I discussed, agree?)
Lets agree to disagree here. I know he was offended. He said that himself. Excuse me for not putting that in my initial script. His tone was rude, as a reaction mine got as well. Hearing spoken words tell alot more than if you read them.
Look, you walked in angry, looking for retribution and justice. What do you want from them exactly? Admission of wrong-doing? You're not going to get it from them unfortunately no matter how much it's (un)deserved, simply because Staples sells office supplies, and not retribution. They have already compensated the only way they know how -- by giving you a refund.
Quite immoral if you ask me. Its a matter of whats right and wrong.
CheapScotsman wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:03 pm
If you don't power it up, you can still reach into the unit and just pull the cartridge holder along the rail into the center of the unit ... and, hence, access the cartridges.
THIS.

Theres literally nothing blocking the cartridges (look at the extreme left). Whether its switched on or not.

[IMG]http://images.printerinfo.com/images/up ... terior.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:08 pm
Yes I can see that. And indirectly, the manager was accusing me as well. Which is why I wanted solid proof and have him look at the serveillance footage and see for ourselves who was the liar here.

Lets agree to disagree here. I know he was offended. He said that himself. Excuse me for not putting that in my initial script. His tone was rude, as a reaction mine got as well. Hearing spoken words tell alot more than if you read them.

THIS.

Theres literally nothing blocking the cartridges (look at the extreme left). Whether its switched on or not.
Or to be more precise, it is a matter of rectifying this situation according to what you think is right and wrong.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
45ED wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:10 pm
Or to be more precise, it is a matter of rectifying this situation according to what you think is right and wrong.
My perspective was fair. They failed to do that. As many others here have already stated maybe they didn't even bother looking at the footage.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:12 pm
My perspective was fair. They failed to do that. As many others here have already stated maybe they didn't even bother looking at the footage.
Fair? You interpreted a "look" as being guilty, amongst other things. At best, that is being subjective.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
45ED wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:13 pm
Fair? You interpreted a "look" as being guilty, amongst other things. At best, that is being subjective.
Ummm no sir. I meant taking a look at the security footage. The camera being right on TOP of the return counter where the 'inspection' took place.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
337 upvotes
Ancaster
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:08 pm
The point was that taken in whole, a lot of your story is based on your interpretation. Interpretation of the employee's demeanor as an admission of guilt. Interpretation of the manager's actions. There are two sides to the coin...take some time to let things blow over, and try to step in their shoes.
Can you really expect the employer to prosecute his employee as guilty/innocent of theft/negligence? That's the job of a judge.

Furthermore, you're asking the manager to suffer a loss (in cost/man-hour) just to appeal to your sense of justice when in fact you suffered no damages whatsoever from the entire incident. Is that appropriate? Isn't that a little one-sided?

Finally, I think it is well within the store's legal rights to deny you access to their security footage. If you want iron-clad justice, ask for a third party (e.g. police) to review the footage instead. It is their job to institute justice.

I had a similar experience as you, being jerked around by a retailer. After the initial desire for justice and truth, I had a second thought as well. Ultimately, the retailer does not owe you that much really, and it's pretty unfair to ask them to do so.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
felixdd wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:16 pm
Furthermore, you're asking the manager to suffer a loss (in cost/man-hour) just to appeal to your sense of justice when in fact you suffered no damages whatsoever from the entire incident. Is that appropriate? Isn't that a little one-sided?
So as a manager, you'd rather have a potential thief working for you than suffer a loss? If the manager did do something about it on their own time, technically until I accept the refund, the printer is mine and I deserve an explanation. Don't you think?
Finally, I think it is well within the store's legal rights to deny you access to their security footage. If you want iron-clad justice, ask for a third party (e.g. police) to review the footage instead. It is their job to institute justice.
Im aware of that. I said that in my first post. Didn't seem to me the manager had any ethics to begin with so I said it anyway. And I didn't push him to show them to me.
I had a similar experience as you, being jerked around by a retailer.
Thats the whole point. Thats why Im sharing this with all of you. It may not happen as often, but tts certainly possible for them to do such a thing. People here refuse to burst their bubble and look at things differently.
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14093 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:20 pm
So as a manager, you'd rather have a potential thief working for you than suffer a loss? If the manager did do something about it on their own time, technically until I accept the refund, the printer is mine and I deserve an explanation. Don't you think?

Im aware of that. I said that in my first post. Didn't seem to me the manager had any ethics to begin with so I said it anyway. And I didn't push him to show them to me.

Thats the whole point. Thats why Im sharing this with all of you. It may not happen as often, but tts certainly possible for them to do such a thing. People here refuse to burst their bubble and look at things differently.
Pot meet kettle.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:20 pm
So as a manager, you'd rather have a potential thief working for you than suffer a loss?
Firing an employee without proof could results in a lawsuit. On top of that, the manager would have to involve HR and division and corporate ... so, yes, the manager would rather NOT do more than he has to.

If the manager did do something about it on their own time, technically until I accept the refund, the printer is mine and I deserve an explanation. Don't you think?
explanation, probably not, justice, yes .... so given that the employee stole the cartridges from YOUR printer you should have whipped out your cell phone and phoned the police to report a theft and asked THEM to collect the required evidence (statement from you, security tapes, etc).

and, in the future, consider how much you trust people manhandling YOUR stuff without being able to fully see all of what they are doing.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
CheapScotsman wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 8:34 pm
and, in the future, consider how much you trust people manhandling YOUR stuff without being able to fully see all of what they are doing.
Indeed I will.
Pot meet kettle.
Ahh, sarcasm. Often a defense when you have nothing better to say. You're not able to see my willingness to find out the truth but think that I was being unfair to them. Right...

I didn't come here for justice..or to gather to bunch of strangers to agree with me. I'm not active on these forums. I thought this experience was something worth sharing. What you people want to make out of it, is upto you. Customers can scam them, but they can't scam us (are they not people too?)...is the moral of the story I gather from the majority of the responses.

Good day fellas.