Shopping Discussion

Locked: [STAPLES] The Cartridge Incident

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 9:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
Wait, doesnt this forum have the resident staples guy who works at one of the stores? Im just waiting for the person(s) to jump start this argument :D
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 18, 2007
1939 posts
34 upvotes
OP I used to work at Staples, and I can't think of any reason why I'd take some 5% full starter cartridge and steal it unless I was mentally handicapped like the kid who collects rooms full of old vacuum cleaners.

I've seen associates there walk out with plenty of much smaller and more expensive things than starter cartridges.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 18, 2007
1939 posts
34 upvotes
rageking wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 9:20 pm
Wait, doesnt this forum have the resident staples guy who works at one of the stores? Im just waiting for the person(s) to jump start this argument :D
Yeah there are a few here, the original staples guy stopped posting years ago.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2235 posts
88 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 6:19 pm
...
ME: "Why would I keep the cartridges and return the printer?"
Why not? I mean I am not accusing you of being a liar but after working at retail for various companies (including Staples - I don't work there anymore) in various industries, I can conclude that the customer isn't ALWAYS right.

Again I am saying that I am not accusing you of being a liar or someone trying to cheat the company for $20 worth of cartridges. I am sure that you were completely honest and your time is worth way more than stealing $20 of cartridges. However, a lot of store managers know these mischievous tricks used by customers, as a result, they defend themselves (and their employees) by not ALWAYS believing in what the customer says.

However, I have noticed that despite of whose fault it is, managers at Staples are sympathetic for the sole reason of maintaining customers. As a result, they do offer refunds to customers even though they are well aware of whose fault it is.

In your case, since the employee was just standing behind the manager without uttering a word, could mean that he somehow probably did steal the cartridges (I don't know why but its a possible situation). But you made the right choice of accepting the refund at the end as this story really wasn't going anywhere.

I agree with you 100% when you say that the manager wasn't taking a neutral standpoint. Even if the manager knew that it was the customers fault (in a hypothetical situation i.e - not pointing towards you again), they still have to be nice and courteous to their customers. OR maybe the manager and employee had a master plan to successfully steal ink cartridges from their own store by dumping the fault on the customer! :twisted: Nah just jk.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
158 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:28 pm
So Im discussing it on a forum. Whats the big deal? Who's forcing everyone to post here? Get a blog? Haha seems like a trend here to put off other members like that. Been reading those comments everywhere. I didn't mean to blow you off (or anyone who doesn't come here with a "I know it all", "so now what" attitude). But really, is a manager suppose to resolve conflicts or stick by their employees? Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right'. I would rather have him look into the matter and come to a conclusion after some investigation rather than relying on 'trust'. Yeah... maybe in a perfect world everyone is trustworthy.
We are all smart enough to know that is not true. You don't even know if you were right about this.

The manager did take the time to talk to you after the store was closed, and found out a way to solve the situation for you. He actually did take the "customer is always right" point of view, in that he agreed to give you the refund even though the cartridges are not there. That is the action that would have been taken if you are right, and you did bring the printer into the store with the cartridges in the printer.

A manager is not just going to take your word when it comes to allegations of crimes by his employees. He would obviously look into it, but it is basic professional courtesy to never undermine you coworkers(be them above you, below you, or on the same level) publicly.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 7, 2007
6157 posts
876 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Let's put some common sense into this thread here. It's the first thing that's out the window when it comes to ranting posts like this.

Let's break it down:

1) People often scams the stores by buying printers and return it without the ink cartridges, due to the fact that refills costs more than the actual product.

2) Accusing another person of theft is pretty serious. I've read the whole post and OP did not actually see the crime being committed. Evidence if any is circumstantial at best. There's always the problem with motive. Why would the guy steal your cartridges? To screw you out of a refund? To sell them on craigslist? None of that makes sense.

3) Managers are supposed to stand behind their store, which includes the employees. I don't know why OP is surprised by that. Without hard proof it's difficult to just believe something that wild. Of course the manager wouldn't be neutral in this case. You think he would just abandon his employee just because of your story? I think given the situation he handled it rather well.

4) OP mentioned the store was looking at the surveillance footage which means to me that they are not taking the accusation lightly. The employee probably has a good talking to after you left the day before. We would never know what happen behind the scenes unless you know someone from the inside. The manager offering you a refund in the end it's just a nice gesture to get you out of there.

In the end it's really OP's words against the employee's. Unfortunately it's the harsh reality that OP has got to accept. I do sympathize with the OP for needing to go through all the trouble.

And yeah by posting in this forum OP is opening up the issue for discussion, and a discussion has many sides. OP needs to take a breather and calm down. You don't have to agree, but you can't shot down everyone that tries to post a response.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
V A N Q U I S H wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 9:59 pm
OP I used to work at Staples, and I can't think of any reason why I'd take some 5% full starter cartridge and steal it unless I was mentally handicapped like the kid who collects rooms full of old vacuum cleaners.
I'm tired of hearing that. How can you guys say that theres no possibility whatsoever that an employee would do such a thing? And stealing is stealing. Whether its a $1000 laptop or a candy bar.
tapanpatel88 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 10:04 pm
Why not? I mean I am not accusing you of being a liar but after working at retail for various companies (including Staples - I don't work there anymore) in various industries, I can conclude that the customer isn't ALWAYS right.
My statement was a reaction to his. I agree with you 100%. Alot of people do try to pull of such scams. But I did whatever I could to the best of my abilities to make sure I eliminated all doubts. Went back home, checked the printer package in the car actually in the parking lot. Checked every place around my desk where the PC is. Asked my family members (they don't even know how to operate it). Did the manager do the same? No. Right off the bat he started defending his employee based on 'trust'. You think thats acceptable?
I agree with you 100% when you say that the manager wasn't taking a neutral standpoint.
Exactly my point. He gave preference to his employee (just to stick up for him), not the customer. A customer is gonna buy your stuff at the end, not your employees.
BornRuff wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 10:37 pm
The manager did take the time to talk to you after the store was closed, and found out a way to solve the situation for you. He actually did take the "customer is always right" point of view, in that he agreed to give you the refund even though the cartridges are not there. That is the action that would have been taken if you are right, and you did bring the printer into the store with the cartridges in the printer.

Hehe no buddy. The way he offered me a refund initially was "Okay, you're crazy (he did use that word) to suggest that he took the cartridges, but I'll refund the printer anyway". Im sorry. I was pretty darn confident that I didn't have the cartridges so I'm not going to accept that false courteous response. So check the surveillance cameras, and then tell me whos wrong.
A manager is not just going to take your word when it comes to allegations of crimes by his employees. He would obviously look into it, but it is basic professional courtesy to never undermine you coworkers(be them above you, below you, or on the same level) publicly.
So he shouldn't. Agreed. But where did you see him making any effort to resolve this matter logically?
number8888 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 10:43 pm
2) Accusing another person of theft is pretty serious. I've read the whole post and OP did not actually see the crime being committed. Evidence if any is circumstantial at best. There's always the problem with motive. Why would the guy steal your cartridges? To screw you out of a refund? To sell them on craigslist? None of that makes sense.

If a tree in a forest falls, and no ones around, did it make any sound? Alot of things doesn't make sense today buddy. Thats no evidence either that he didn't do it. And the craigslist point is very much valid. And I'll just quote someone else here who knows about this incident: "Not surprised at all considering internal theft accounts for a huge portion of all theft at retail stores."
3) Managers are supposed to stand behind their store, which includes the employees. I don't know why OP is surprised by that. Without hard proof it's difficult to just believe something that wild. Of course the manager wouldn't be neutral in this case. You think he would just abandon his employee just because of your story? I think given the situation he handled it rather well.
Right. Abandon the customers who buy your products. But stick by your employee without knowing anything about what actually happened. Totally makes sense.
4) OP mentioned the store was looking at the surveillance footage which means to me that they are not taking the accusation lightly. The employee probably has a good talking to after you left the day before. We would never know what happen behind the scenes unless you know someone from the inside. The manager offering you a refund in the end it's just a nice gesture to get you out of there.
He said a woman was taking a look at it. And before the woman who he said was doing it returned to us with ANY information regarding the tapes, he offered a refund to end the matter right away. I even said I wouldn't return the printer if the video shows that he didn't take it out. Like some people here said, I don't believe they bothered to take a look at the tapes. Him offering me a refund, when he was so keen the last night that he wouldn't refund the printer if the video suggested that I was wrong, tells me they never touched the tapes. Thats how I knew this isn't going anywhere.
In the end it's really OP's words against the employee's. Unfortunately it's the harsh reality that OP has got to accept. I do sympathize with the OP for needing to go through all the trouble.
Would it help if I mention (not that I think it matters), that the employee was merely a 16-18 years old kid?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1098 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 11:38 pm
blah blah blah blah I'm right, nobody else is right, blah blah derka derka do da rabble rabble manager should fire employee right there in front of customers, blah ****ing blah customers are always right I'm not going to listen to anybody else blah blah blah
:rolleyes: Is your name Mrs. Columbo?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
Surprised a troll like you isn't banned yet. Perfect choice of avatar to go with the dumb posts you make.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1098 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 12:03 am
Surprised a troll like you isn't banned yet. Perfect choice of avatar to go with the dumb posts you make.
Call it what you wish, report the posts that offend your delicate sensibilities if you want, the button is to the bottom left of the post.

It's ironic how you keep wanting to have a "logical" conversation yet completely and utterly unwilling to see any perspective but your own, so why even bother if you are going to keep crying that you wanted the manger to not stand up for his employee in public, it's a complete waste of the interwebs.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
Ojam wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 12:12 am
Call it what you wish, report the posts that offend your delicate sensibilities if you want, the button is to the bottom left of the post.
No not gonna bother reporting your post. 7k odd posts and someone didn't do it already, then theres no point.
Ojam wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 12:12 am
It's ironic how you keep wanting to have a "logical" conversation yet completely and utterly unwilling to see any perspective but your own, so why even bother if you are going to keep crying that you wanted the manger to not stand up for his employee in public, it's a complete waste of the interwebs to even bother.
Yet your trollish habits makes you coming back for more. I'm accepting all responses and replying in a sane manner. Same can't be said for you. Im taking one stand, while you're taking the other. Only difference is you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Ignorance is bliss. Managers and employees are angels on earth. Whatever floats your boat.

I'm outta here.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1098 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 12:18 am
I'm accepting all responses and replying in a sane manner.
Really?

Albert Einstein said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

I wonder of repeating the same statements with different wording would fall under this?

You've been told I don't know how many times that the manager is not going to doubt or question the employee in front of a customer and why, yet this very simple concept still eludes you... that says something to about your ability to have reasonable discussion.

Sweet dreams hun.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 30, 2003
7221 posts
600 upvotes
V A N Q U I S H wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 9:59 pm
OP I used to work at Staples, and I can't think of any reason why I'd take some 5% full starter cartridge and steal it unless I was mentally handicapped like the kid who collects rooms full of old vacuum cleaners.

I've seen associates there walk out with plenty of much smaller and more expensive things than starter cartridges.
I can think of some awfully stupid things to steal that I've seen employees take before. There's no way to test the limits of how stupid someone is without hurting them. :p

It's possible the employee took the cartridges out, set them aside to check the printer, and forgot about them and realized his mistake afterwards. Stranger things have happened.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4133 posts
745 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Wow, so heated.

Maybe it wasn't the employee, but the manager?

Store is seeing too many returns, he wants to reduce it so he looks for ways to reject returns. Employee follows manager's wish, and misplace the cartridges. Manager hopes customer will leave and not push the issue. Customer doesn't, and wants to follow up immediately. Employee realizes something is wrong (hence the look), manager defends employee because it was his idea to begin with. Customer pushes back, manager backs down and offers refund.

Before anyone asks why (why risk it, why bother, etc.), I don't know, I'm just making a rant. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
855 upvotes
Honestly if the refund isn't a big deal and you are sure the employee stole the cartridge, you can contact the police on the spot and get a police report as well as get the police to look at the footage for you. They probably would laugh at you afterwards but if you have such strong feelings about the employee stealing the cartridge, thats really the only way to get the truth (and thats only if the police is even willing to watch the footage/get a warrant to get the footage/etc...).

Top