• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 9:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
Let's consider reasons why the manager would act in the manner in which they did.

1. They have a working relationship with the employee. I believe it is safe to assume that as the employee is still working at the store, they are a relatively good employee. The manager has no relationship with you and it is normal to offer more benefit of doubt to the person you know rather than the person you don't know.

2. I'm sure that customers in the past have purchased items only to return them minus the accesory that they needed.

3. As the cartridges have been installed, the printer cannot be resold as is. Chances are the printer will simply be thrown out and if the employee wanted the cartridges, why not simply wait and take them before disposing of the printer? Why would they announce that the cartridges are missing?

4. Without solid proof, a manager isn't going to accuse an employee or customer of theft. As this is a low cost item, the manager would probably be even more hesitant to accuse a customer of theft without absolute proof.

You are making an issue out of nothing. Without absolute proof that a customer stole an item, a manager isn't going to accuse them of it and a store has more to lose by not refunding the money than they do by refunding it. The manager did the only thing that really could do.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
This is not about how I feel about the whole incident. But more like what people make out of it. I got the refund, all is good, but if it was a matter of $50, I would've accepted the manager's false courtesy to get out of this matter in the first place. And his actions the next day further proved that his defense was wrong. Anyway...

To the people putting blind faith in their employees and thinking theres NO reason why they would do such a thing (even so a 16-18 years irresponsible kid)... heres a lil something:

[QUOTE]In less than a week the pirate that originally ripped and uploaded Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was tracked down and caught by an Internet investigations firm. IP Cybercrime, the private investigations firm, followed the trail that was left online and off right to the pirate himself.

Activision Blizzard was alerted to the possibility of piracy when a Craigslist ad was posted for a bundled Xbox 360 with a copy of Modern Warfare 2 more than 10 days before the game was due to be released. Activision hired IP Cybercrime who called the sellers and set up a sting to buy the items. When confronted about the items the sellers admitted that they had stolen a crate of the bundles from a big box store that one of them works at.[/QUOTE]

Source: http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=17696

So much for faithful employees huh.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6157 posts
876 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 1:32 pm
This is not about how I feel about the whole incident. But more like what people make out of it. I got the refund, all is good, but if it was a matter of $50, I would've accepted the manager's false courtesy to get out of this matter in the first place. And his actions the next day further proved that his defense was wrong. Anyway...

To the people putting blind faith in their employees and thinking theres NO reason why they would do such a thing (even so a 16-18 years irresponsible kid)... heres a lil something:

Source: http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=17696

So much for faithful employees huh.

The story only proves that there are deadbeats out there. But it doesn't prove your point.

In our society, everyone is "presumed innocent until proven guilty". You accused the guy of stealing, which might be true. But without proof all you are doing is making wild accusation. You can do like Activision and call the police to start an investigation, but until then it's still your word against the CSR.

The important thing you need to realize is that even though you are a customer, you are still a stranger. So you expect the manager to believe a complete stranger's accusation without any proof? If someone comes up to you and accuse your girlfriend/boyfriend/son/daugther/etc. of stealing, how would you react?

I could be wrong but have you ever worked under a supervisor/manager? If you did then you should have realized that a good manager is one that will look out for you. The "trust" (that you have mocked) between employee and manager is important for maintaining a good working relationship. Not able to trust the person that has power over is actually very devastating. If you can't understand this then you are living in a bubble and have no sense of reality.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 7:02 pm
People here seem to be thinking that there's no reason for an employee to pull such a stupid stunt, because it's so obvious. Well, my friend went to a food court restaurant for lunch and they didn't give her credit card back. Then, that employee tested out the card later at the restaurant to see if it was cancelled, and proceeded to go to a mall on a spending spree. There were cameras at the mall capturing everything. Why the heck would someone pull something like this? They are stupid and lazy, yet the owner of the restaurant doesn't care (employee quit) and the cops didn't care, either. NO ONE CARES, so people pull this *****. WELCOME TO RETAIL.

That really sucks!
hope your friends CC company fixes that.

Hopefully the Staples store will be watched more.
I used to work for a company that "checked up" on store employees to make sure they were handling returns properly.
I was/am actually paid to go to stores and return something like 1 hour or a couple hours later...
Haven't done much at Staplles exept look for cell phones though.
Some other big chains (clothing) I had to buy a item and bring it to returns dept.
Also check that tags were not taken off clothing and the store was not trying to sell untagged items.
"interesting job" anyways...
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
number8888 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 5:05 pm
The important thing you need to realize is that even though you are a customer, you are still a stranger. So you expect the manager to believe a complete stranger's accusation without any proof?
No. But I also don't expect him to take any stand without any knowledge of whats going on. Hes required to be as faithful to his 'union' as much as a customer. I wanted to speak to the worker first. I hope you read that the manager LIED when he said everyone had left. Sure, you can say in his defense 'after a day of work he just wanted to leave so he said that bla bla'. But a lie is a lie. And proving yourself to be a liar to begin with didn't help his cause either.
I could be wrong but have you ever worked under a supervisor/manager?
Yes I have. As someone so rightly said here, a manager is suppose to lead by example. I respect my manager for doing the right thing on many occasions and maintaining a disciplined environment for BOTH the customers AND the workers. All that manager did was 'covering his employees a**'. And that only encourages wrong behavior in the future as well.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1098 upvotes
He's not going to submit his employee to some interrogation from some lunatic knocking on the stores doors after they are closed. Who knows what you are going to do. Any major customer service needs should go through him, the employee is not there to be bitched at and accused of things. The manager is there to resolve customer service issues, not to preside over some kangaroo court that you want to setup. You have no idea what was said behind closed doors, and that is where any reprimand should happen, not out in front of everybody.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
1403 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
you had no significant proof to accuse the employee of stealing. you should have just taken the refund when initially offered and dropped it, no need to carry on. the printer wasn't compatible as you mentioned so just return it and leave it alone, and if you don't like staples don't go back.

it would be a different story if they didn't offer a refund after claiming the ink wasn't there, but the manager did.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
Ojam wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 8:31 pm
He's not going to submit his employee to some interrogation from some lunatic knocking on the stores doors after they are closed. Who knows what you are going to do. Any major customer service needs should go through him, the employee is not there to be bitched at and accused of things. The manager is there to resolve customer service issues, not to preside over some kangaroo court that you want to setup. You have no idea what was said behind closed doors, and that is where any reprimand should happen, not out in front of everybody.
And the name calling starts. What are you 8 years old? Why are you acting so butt-hurt? Your dad owns Staples or something? I simply said to the manager I want to talk to the employee and apparently I set his butt on fire and he started calling me crazy. Great way to talk to customers. Must say. And for someone who doesn't find all this the least bit interesting, you're still awfully investing alot of your time in this.

The proof can only be found after investigation. Any proof that I may have (Hey, I saw him do it) wouldn't be sufficient for them anyway since they can't take my word for it. And why should I believe the employee's words then? Hes a stranger to me too. I didn't have 'significant' proof on him doesn't mean they have significant proof against me either.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
it's hard to believe someone dwelling on this so much...you got your refund, get on with your life!
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14224 posts
1098 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 8:44 pm
And for someone who doesn't find all this the least bit interesting, you're still awfully investing alot of your time in this.
It's like two girls and one cup, I'm disgusted by it, but I just can't turn away.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Nov 15, 2006
900 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Did the item get printed or not???? :confused: :confused:
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
monty613 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 8:56 pm
it's hard to believe someone dwelling on this so much...you got your refund, get on with your life!
Hehe, hey you can't say nothing good came out of it. I learned how ignorant people can be. "What? A manager didn't handle a situation properly? An employee possibly (that should set some souls to rest) stole something from a customer? WHAT? OH SNAP! Can't be, can't be! The world is coming to an end!" LOL

Well the word is out. Hopefully people would be more careful then I was. And take a stand for yourself if you're confident that you're right. As for the ignorant ones *coughOjamcough*, you can bend over like you most probably always do.
Ojam wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 9:14 pm
It's like two girls and one cup, I'm disgusted by it, but I just can't turn away.
Thread reported to be closed to the smart-ass Mods, who cleverly edited the tags (chheeeeeap shot). That should put an end to your misery.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2020 upvotes
Nowhere
Ojam wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 8:31 pm
+1 Particularly the sentence in bold. A good manager does not deal with employee issues in front of customers.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1970 posts
84 upvotes
When I worked at the Toronto Zoo, the supervisors were taught that, if you get in an unfortunate dispute over money or something else that's in your control, side with the customer and not with the employee, unless it's part of the company policy.

Long story short, that particular Staples store ain't gettin' any of my money anymore. No morals, no revenue. OP, mind telling me which store it was?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6157 posts
876 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 7:33 pm
No. But I also don't expect him to take any stand without any knowledge of whats going on. Hes required to be as faithful to his 'union' as much as a customer. I wanted to speak to the worker first. I hope you read that the manager LIED when he said everyone had left. Sure, you can say in his defense 'after a day of work he just wanted to leave so he said that bla bla'. But a lie is a lie. And proving yourself to be a liar to begin with didn't help his cause either.
He's not gonna make the guy stay just because your unproven accusations. Who knows how long you were gonna drag this out. This was after store hours already right? The guy has done his hours and did his job. No need to keep him any longer since getting interrogated is not part of his job description.

I wouldn't say what he said is entirely false. The store is closing so his employees are not working anymore. Yes it's a technicality and I am sure you don't agree with it. However in the end it's a moot point since he would otherwise just tell you to you face that you can't talk to him.
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 7:33 pm
Yes I have. As someone so rightly said here, a manager is suppose to lead by example. I respect my manager for doing the right thing on many occasions and maintaining a disciplined environment for BOTH the customers AND the workers. All that manager did was 'covering his employees a**'. And that only encourages wrong behavior in the future as well.
As a figure of authority it is indeed his job to look out for his employees. This includes shielding them from dangerous/hazardous situations. That's why he's not letting you confront the guy. Obviously you weren't going to have a friendly chat. It was his responsibility to not subject his employee to your yelling, especially in your heated state. What if it got physical? He and the store could get sued.

It's one thing to please the customer when he is unsatisfied, but it's another thing to accept such a serious accusation. Conforming with you in this case basically means he's turning his back to the people that are dependent on him. And no he's not covering for his employee because as far as everyone else understands the guy did nothing wrong.

As it stands, the absolute FACT right now is that you BELIEVE that a crime was committed. But anything you say is still an accusation as there's no hard evidence of a crime being committed. Once you understand that then you should realize that everybody's action make sense. It's not a good situation to be in and I perfectly understand your frustration, but you just got to let it go. What do you still want since you already got the money back? No use getting upset by something that's already in the past.
There's a sucker born every minute.