• Nov 11th, 2009 9:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
number8888 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 11:50 pm
It's not a good situation to be in and I perfectly understand your frustration, but you just got to let it go. What do you still want since you already got the money back? No use getting upset by something that's already in the past.
Look, Im not upset. I'm way past it. If I wanted to gain something with regards to the actual incident, I would take this matter to the police or the court, whatever. Not post it on a discussion forum. For people willing to accept the possibility of the management being wrong, this comes as a wake up call. For others, I can't really help it. Maybe statistics would show that more often than not customers try to scam them, but thats no justification to assume that every customer intends to do the same. One honest customer to another (feels like I'm in the middle of alot of managers myself -- I never intended to generalize the matter to every person), I provided all facts to the best of my memory. Out of all the people I've discussed this with, I can easily say the discussion has been dragged on ALOT over here. And since the thread got so many replies, its only fair for to me respond to everyone.
Sep 27, 2004
679 posts
39 upvotes
Scarborough
I see no logical reason why the employee would take the ink out of the printer especially in front of you even if his back is turned to you. Its a $50 and you returned it the next day. This **** happens all the time because people like to "rent" and print something that night. $50 is not going to hurt any stores numbers and the printer can be sent back to the manucfacturer Canon I presume cus thats the only $50 printer in the store. None of the this makes sense, especially from the employee side of it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
necrokiller wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 4:20 am
Look, Im not upset. I'm way past it. If I wanted to gain something with regards to the actual incident, I would take this matter to the police or the court, whatever. Not post it on a discussion forum. For people willing to accept the possibility of the management being wrong, this comes as a wake up call. For others, I can't really help it. Maybe statistics would show that more often than not customers try to scam them, but thats no justification to assume that every customer intends to do the same. One honest customer to another (feels like I'm in the middle of alot of managers myself -- I never intended to generalize the matter to every person), I provided all facts to the best of my memory. Out of all the people I've discussed this with, I can easily say the discussion has been dragged on ALOT over here. And since the thread got so many replies, its only fair for to me respond to everyone.
We're willing to accept the posibility that the management was wrong but we're also willing to accept the possibility that you're wrong. It's your story, you want the manager to accept that you are right with no evidence to back you up. You want everyone to believe that you are an honest customer but you are unwilling to believe that either the salesperson or manager are honest. They are obviously covering for each other because they offered you your money back (?).
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
28 posts
s7r1k3r wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 4:54 am
I see no logical reason why the employee would take the ink out of the printer especially in front of you even if his back is turned to you. Its a $50 and you returned it the next day. This **** happens all the time because people like to "rent" and print something that night. $50 is not going to hurt any stores numbers and the printer can be sent back to the manucfacturer Canon I presume cus thats the only $50 printer in the store. None of the this makes sense, especially from the employee side of it.
Right. I have the cartridges. I'm a millionaire now :lol: I have all the reasons to 'rent' a printer AND keep the cartridges. S*** like this happens all the time but the employees are saints. Bravo!
It's your story, you want the manager to accept that you are right with no evidence to back you up.
No. I want the manager to frekkin make sure whos at fault here. I gave the benefit of the doubt to the employee as well. I could've accused him right away. But I didn't. I thought its possible I may have forgotten to pack it. I didn't do anything. Went back to make sure first.
Nov 5, 2009
34 posts
6 upvotes
I'm sure that even though the manager stood up for the employee (and rightly so), he would've had a discussion with the employee behind closed doors. It doesn't make sense for him to do that in public and to ruin their image and lose more customers. If the employee had stolen it, he probably gave a punishment of some sort. So if you're worried about this point, I'm fairly sure you have nothing to worry about.

But I don't know why you think it's so wrong for the manager to side with the employee initially when: 1) there are many scams, and 2) it would ruin the work culture, especially if every employee is now scared the manager has no faith in them. Could you consider the implications of siding with the customer initially before attacking these points?

Anyhow, since your matter is resolved and you have indicated you are well over the issue... then I hope you have a better shopping experience next time. At least now you can prevent the issue from arising again by simply watching how employees handle your product.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3353 posts
66 upvotes
Pretty lame if he did took it but it he might have took it, so that you won't be able to return it. (Don't see the point, except the Sales guy didn't know what he was talking about).

Manager can override almost anything plus the printer can be sent back to the manufacturer/distributor as being a Defect essentially a "WRITE-OFF"
Jun 16, 2003
182 posts
7 upvotes
This situation reminds me of the time a few years ago when I picked up a memory card on the Staples liquidation table and opened it only when I got home. It was a returned card and, I didn't notice until I was at home. the card was put backwards into the bubble package, so I only read the size off the packaging.

Turned out to be a smaller card than what was marked on the packaging and I thought that I was going to be stuck with this card. It was going to be a little difficult to go back and tell them that it wasn't me who did a switch on them. I was pissed that someone in the store had done a switch on the memory card!

Well, there is karma in this world. I put the card into my card reader and it turns out that there were pictures on this card. Pics were of Staples employees in the store and also in the back room. These were not customer pictures and the info off the images indicated that it was likely used in one of the store demo cameras.

With a few prints in hand and of course I made copies on my computer, I went back to the store and asked to speak to the manager. As expected, the beginning of my story seemed a little fishy to the manager, but as soon as I told them about the pics on the card and showed them the pictures, they recognized the staff in the pics and was on my side without any issues.

I got myself a replacement card and a refund for the original purchase. The manager told me that they know who probably did this switch and will take care of the problem. I never found out what was done and doubt if they would tell me.

Based on my own experience and what this thread is about, I would say that it is easily possible to an employee to steal if they think they could get away with it. Doesn't matter if it is for half fill cartridges or memory cards. The problem is that the manager can only act on real proof if they decide that one person is right. Without any hard evidence, the manager always has the discretion to refund or compensate for the problem situation.

The lesson for anyone who is doing a return is to be with the person who is inspecting the merchandise. If they want to move the merchandise to the back room or anywhere that is out of sight, then I would ask them to tell the csr that they have completed the inspection. If they don't agree, then i would ask them to complete the check in front of me.