• Sep 14th, 2012 10:04 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 22, 2012
125 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver

Staples Easy Care Extended Warranty...is it worth it? $99 for 3 years

I just got a Asus laptop from Staples, the warranty for an extra $99 seems like it may be worth it considering they supposedly replace your battery one time. Is Staples credible, will they actually make it worthwhile? The laptop was $480 taxes in so not expensive, I also bought it on a TD Visa Elite for the second year of warranty. On the other hand I figure if its junk by the end of the first two years no big deal, put that $100 towards a new one, but the battery replacement is tempting.....

Any help would be appreciated.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
No. If you can, buy the extended warranty from Asus directly. If your laptop has a problem, you just ship it out to Asus and they will fix it themselves.

If you buy the Staples warranty, they will either fix it themselves or they will ship it off to some contracted repair depot.

You will be much better off if Asus fixes the laptop themselves.

I have used a Future Shop warranty and their service was subpar. Sent machine in 3 times, wasn't fixed.
With LG or Acer, I send in the machine, it gets fixed.
Jul 13, 2012
2 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
Actually, what staples does is send it in to their repair depot, not a 3rd party company. On top of that, if you go through asus, you have to remember its a limited warranty. So, you have to hope that your issue is covered by the warranty. For example, a battery is NOT covered by asus' warranty, but it IS through the staples warranty. Pretty much from there, $99 for unlimited repairs for 3 years, the battery alone is $120.

People need to know before they state anything.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
12625 posts
1733 upvotes
Toronto
Extended warranties are a waste of money period.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
3298 posts
894 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought my extended warranty on my first laptop and two months before the third year expired, my computer completely fried (motherboard failure?). They offered me 320$. I took it....

Like yeah I paid 99$ for it but it SORT of paid off. Also, I got a battery change out of it because my battery died two years in.

But yeah, I don't know what type of experiences people have had.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1043 posts
112 upvotes
Said212 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2012 1:48 pm
I bought my extended warranty on my first laptop and two months before the third year expired, my computer completely fried (motherboard failure?). They offered me 320$. I took it....

Like yeah I paid 99$ for it but it SORT of paid off. Also, I got a battery change out of it because my battery died two years in.

But yeah, I don't know what type of experiences people have had.
If i remember correctly, it's in Staples GC, and not in cash.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2757 posts
289 upvotes
Montreal
They are the only ones that devalue the amount you paid for a product. If you spent $600 and 2 years later they offer you $200 it's not a true replacement/repair plan because in the end you got nothing out of it.

Staples doesn't have its own repair depot they outsource like everyone else does either they use BigTech, Nexicore or some other third party place where all these units go to be repaired.
Jul 15, 2012
1 posts
Burnaby
gnuman wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 8:01 am
They are the only ones that devalue the amount you paid for a product. If you spent $600 and 2 years later they offer you $200 it's not a true replacement/repair plan because in the end you got nothing out of it.
If it's electronics under $250, or a tablet, Staples' replacement plan provides you with either a replacement of the exact same item or whatever amount you paid for.
Repair plans are the only ones that offer you a depreciated value. However, do keep in mind that the item will usually be repaired. Buyouts don't happen very often. The only time when buyout occurs is when the repair cost exceeds what they deem to be practical.
gnuman wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 8:01 am
Staples doesn't have its own repair depot they outsource like everyone else does either they use BigTech, Nexicore or some other third party place where all these units go to be repaired.
Staples actually owns their own repair depot for computers instead of outsourcing. All repair center staff have a staples assigned employee number, the depot have access to staples' system (inventory, ordering, etc), and they have a staples store number just like the retail locations.

As to whether or not the Staples service plan is worth the $99, I it's worth it for the following reasons:

1) With PC manufacturers using more and more refurbished/recycled components, electronics don't last as long as they used to.
2) The one year OEM limited warranty covers workmanship defect, not wear and tear. Meaning the EOM are not responsible for issues like dead batteries, overheat, etc
3) The battery replacement itself is around $100 if not more. I have yet to own a laptop with a battery that last over 2 hours after 1.5-2 years of use.
4) Staples' service plan is priced well below its competitors. A 3-year carry-in service plan with Bestbuy or Futureshop for the same laptop would be $199.99.

I am writing from my experience as an ex-staples employee.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7678 posts
809 upvotes
Nope, any extended warranties sold by the likes of Futureshop, Best Buy, Staples or the retailers themselves are not worth the paper the receipt is printed on.

On paper, they sound great because they always say that everything's covered and all you have to do is bring it in, they'll take a look and if they find a problem they'll fix it for you or replace the item free of charge, no fuss no muss. That's the theory though. The warranty process with these stores is usually more difficult and painful then pulling teeth. The folks who purchased these things and actually received the advertised services are the exception, not the rule.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10067 posts
1640 upvotes
Kingston
JL2002 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2012 12:26 am
If i remember correctly, it's in Staples GC, and not in cash.
Correct
Repo600 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 12:59 am
If it's electronics under $250, or a tablet, Staples' replacement plan provides you with either a replacement of the exact same item or whatever amount you paid for.
Repair plans are the only ones that offer you a depreciated value. However, do keep in mind that the item will usually be repaired. Buyouts don't happen very often. The only time when buyout occurs is when the repair cost exceeds what they deem to be practical.
It is true that "The only time when buyout occurs is when the repair cost exceeds what they deem to be practical." This is true but it means that they will pay the least amount possible with their "out" being what they calculate as the depreciated value. Flipped around the other way, at the point that the plan could be the MOST valuable to the consumer (an expensive repair), Staples plan allows them to sneak out the back door. And then you only get that in the form of a Staples GC so it is worth even less.

So while they will tell you how much a motherboard repair can be to entice you to get the warranty, it is highly unlikely they will ever do a motherboard repair because it will be cheaper to give you a Staples GC for the depreciated value.
Sep 13, 2012
1 posts
AZILDA
It's ONLY worthwhile if you can deal with consistently being w/o the PC in question for 15 days at a time. I use my PC for personal work and ive been without it for 20 days of the last 60. So clearly the cost of the warranty has paid itself off however the cost incurred by NOT having my PC FAR outweigh the warranty costs.

ANY amount of money paid to get a tumore dealing with the smug extended call center reps is not worth is not worth the paper its printed on.

Once you send it once expect to send it again and again...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7271 posts
659 upvotes
Toronto
The way I look at it, Staples would not be offering that warrantee service unless they benefit financially from it in the long run. In other words, they've already done the cost-risk analysis for you, and the result is not in your favour.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2030 posts
706 upvotes
Montreal
TBH, the staples warranty is by FAR better than the ones at futureshop and bestbuy. It's also usually cheaper, but then again, its always personal experience. The cost of a free battery replacement in itself close to the end is worth it..
× < >