• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 5:51 pm
[OP]
Aug 4, 2018
89 posts
151 upvotes

[Staples] Echo dot 34.99 saturday/sunday

Good deal if you missed prime day.
Last edited by BiboB34387 on Aug 14th, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1001 posts
221 upvotes
Winnipeg
What was the price on prime day?
Mar 9, 2011
562 posts
812 upvotes
tatung wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 4:19 pm
What was the price on prime day?
It was also $34.99.
Dec 13, 2008
122 posts
26 upvotes
Is this sufficient for a smart home? Should I consider any other Google/Amazon/ Apple devices similar to this?
I'm just here for the deals....
[OP]
Aug 4, 2018
89 posts
151 upvotes
blisterd_nuts wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 5:13 pm
Is this sufficient for a smart home? Should I consider any other Google/Amazon/ Apple devices similar to this?
You will need a smart hub for home automation. The Echo plus has one build in.
Sep 22, 2009
80 posts
23 upvotes
Waterloo
Is this Gen 1 or 2? Any difference?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2752 upvotes
blisterd_nuts wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 5:13 pm
The Amazon Echo (Alexa) is the most popular voice automation device in the U.S., with Google Home running 2nd, but in Canada it is reversed. Apple is a distant third.

Alexa has been around longer and has built up a bigger database of installable "skills" modules to support different types of home automation devices, but Google Home is catching up fast. Most smart home devices now try to support both, It's something like the history of Android catching up to the Apple app store.

Google Home is generally a bit better at natural language understanding and seems to have more information available to understand context and provide meaningful responses. But at least half the time they both flub the question completely. The remainder of the time Google does better 2 out of 3 times, and Alexa does better 1 out of 3 times.

You don't need a voice automation device at all to get into home automation. You can buy smart home devices, run them from your smart phone, and create your own algorithms for them without ever touching an Echo Dot or Google Home, so long as you don't need voice automation.

You also don't need a hub device. Many of the smart home devices are WiFi, and connect directly to your router. You can connect them and program them through internet services like IFTTT and Stringify without needing a local hub. You need a local hub/gateway to provide the network connection only if you are using Z-Wave or Zigbee devices instead of WiFi (e.g., like Phillips Hue bulbs). If it's a smart hub like SmartThings or Wink, not just a dumb gateway, it may also support some local programming so that you don't have to go to an outside internet service like IFTTT to do simple operations like turn on a light if a motion detector triggers. But voice automation requires an internet service to interpret your voice - there isn't enough computing power or database in any local device to do that complex job.
May 4, 2008
334 posts
128 upvotes
GTA
Exp315 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 5:37 pm

The Amazon Echo (Alexa) is the most popular voice automation device in the U.S., with Google Home running 2nd, but in Canada it is reversed. Apple is a distant third.

Alexa has been around longer and has built up a bigger database of installable "skills" modules to support different types of home automation devices, but Google Home is catching up fast. Most smart home devices now try to support both, It's something like the history of Android catching up to the Apple app store.

Google Home is generally a bit better at natural language understanding and seems to have more information available to understand context and provide meaningful responses. But at least half the time they both flub the question completely. The remainder of the time Google does better 2 out of 3 times, and Alexa does better 1 out of 3 times.

You don't need a voice automation device at all to get into home automation. You can buy smart home devices, run them from your smart phone, and create your own algorithms for them without ever touching an Echo Dot or Google Home, so long as you don't need voice automation.

You also don't need a hub device. Many of the smart home devices are WiFi, and connect directly to your router. You can connect them and program them through internet services like IFTTT and Stringify without needing a local hub. You need a local hub/gateway to provide the network connection only if you are using Z-Wave or Zigbee devices instead of WiFi (e.g., like Phillips Hue bulbs). If it's a smart hub like SmartThings or Wink, not just a dumb gateway, it may also support some local programming so that you don't have to go to an outside internet service like IFTTT to do simple operations like turn on a light if a motion detector triggers. But voice automation requires an internet service to interpret your voice - there isn't enough computing power or database in any local device to do that complex job.
Great points !

I also have both .. I mainly use echo for smart home/harmony control and google for music and info
Oct 24, 2003
851 posts
259 upvotes
North York
This is awesome. I'm primarily using it as a Bluetooth audio receiver since those cost almost the same as this. Alexa is an added bonus.
Aug 13, 2018
8 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
The small print also has the Amazon Echo on sale for $89.99 ($40 off), which is also good for those that missed Prime Days.
Aug 13, 2018
8 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Please change title to Saturday and Sunday as the sale is for two days only (August 18-19).
Aug 20, 2006
85 posts
7 upvotes
jimmyzaas wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 9:54 am
This is awesome. I'm primarily using it as a Bluetooth audio receiver since those cost almost the same as this. Alexa is an added bonus.
me too, I'm using it for the same purpose, would have bought google home instead if they had an audio out jack. I know there's a hack for it but what's the point.

I had some issues initially during setup as it wouldn't recognize where I was geographically, and my ecobee commands I think are in fahrenheit. The wifi calling feature is great.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2752 upvotes
jimmyzaas wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 9:54 am
If you add a Spotify subscription you can ask it to play any music you want by voice. You can also pause, stop, skip forward or back, and change volume by voice control. The only drawback is of course that the Echo has trouble hearing you if you are playing music loudly.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6403 posts
2233 upvotes
Canada
Everything Amazon is better in the States ... I'm glad our gov't continues to protect us from them.
Dec 13, 2008
122 posts
26 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 5:37 pm

Thank you for your detailed response. This helps my understanding with the entire process a whole lot! Upvotes for you!
I'm just here for the deals....