• Jan 27th, 2016 9:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1504 posts
507 upvotes
davidm wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 12:00 pm
Got mine today. I'm in hyper-critical mode, and was close to it (though installed it may be over my head which is similar), but it's noisier than I expected, in eco mode with no iris. I'm wondering if it's 'normal' since it's an uneven sound, which is distracting.
I felt the exact same way. IMO the uneven sound is from the chassis design, it's very hollow and cheap build. If you hold it in different ways the sound changes. I've been able to get mine to a fairly consistent noise in ECO now after many adjustments.

I can't really blame epson for this, it's designed as a portable unit so lightweight took priority over build quality. The picture quality is the best part about it.
I've played racing and batman games on it and I don't see any perceptible lag at all.

FYI - If any one is looking for an LCD projo even cheaper and willing to get a refurb.. epson has some clearance stuff available with free shipping:
The 730HD for $375 seems like the best value for a 720p model. They have a 2030 as well for $639, which is a highly rated 1080p from 2013, but apparently the new 2015s have a lot quicker response time for gaming.
http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/Buy ... oid=-13364
Always in search of a great deal....
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15249 posts
5662 upvotes
Oakville
Netcruzer wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 12:14 pm
FYI - If any one is looking for an LCD projo even cheaper and willing to get a refurb.. epson has some clearance stuff available with free shipping:
The 730HD for $375 seems like the best value for a 720p model. They have a 2030 as well for $639, which is a highly rated 1080p from 2013, but apparently the new 2015s have a lot quicker response time for gaming.
Well crap, I didn't even THINK about refurb projectors. Anybody have any experience with Consignia.ca? They have some tempting Optoma refurbs.
Aug 26, 2008
663 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
Netcruzer wrote:
I felt the exact same way. IMO the uneven sound is from the chassis design, it's very hollow and cheap build. If you hold it in different ways the sound changes. I've been able to get mine to a fairly consistent noise in ECO now after many adjustments.
I'm not sure I can live with this. It sounds like a truck idling, very distracting. I've tried compressing the case different ways with no luck. I'm wondering if it might be defective cause it sounds sort of like a stuck fan, and the case gets very hot.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2581 posts
1815 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
There's no problem with refurb projectors. They always come with new bulbs. I was looking at them, but I got an open box from BHPhoto instead. BHPhototo has good deals on open boxes often, if you have some USD balance.
Sep 15, 2011
839 posts
366 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
Netcruzer wrote:

I can't really blame epson for this, it's designed as a portable unit so lightweight took priority over build quality. The picture quality is the best part about it.
I've played racing and batman games on it and I don't see any perceptible lag at all.

Totally don't need this, but I just pulled out the tape measure and did some calculations (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-P ... or-pro.htm is particularly useful) and this would fit beautifully in my basement... Gah.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2239 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't the Optoma HD28DSE @ Costco a better buy at $849.99? Comes with DarbeeVision is DLP, 1080p and is 3d compatable.
Aug 26, 2008
663 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
Dred wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 8:36 am
Isn't the Optoma HD28DSE @ Costco a better buy at $849.99? Comes with DarbeeVision is DLP, 1080p and is 3d compatable.
Out of the gate, no, it's $100 more.

As well, many people prefer LED over DLP. No rainbow effect, and detail is sharper.

The Epson is also higher resolution.

Many people consider DarbeeVision a gimmick. Certainly results will vary and if you commit to it you'll probably find yourself constantly tweaking it since its effect varies with content. I'd consider that a drawback.

The Epson is more portable.

The Epson has a higher battery life in Eco mode.

But the Optoma is probably quieter.
Jun 2, 2006
268 posts
28 upvotes
The Epson is not LED...it's an LCD projector....All Epson projectors are LCD.
I definitely prefer Epson LCD projectors over DLP...the color accuracy is horrible on DLP...but their blacks are blacker and whites are whiter.

And for those that say it's not true...I have both types of projectors and have put them side by side and the color accuracy difference is HUGE between them.
I'd go with the Epson.
Aug 26, 2008
663 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
pesttt wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 9:05 am
The Epson is not LED...it's an LCD projector....All Epson projectors are LCD.
I definitely prefer Epson LCD projectors over DLP...the color accuracy is horrible on DLP...but their blacks are blacker and whites are whiter.

And for those that say it's not true...I have both types of projectors and have put them side by side and the color accuracy difference is HUGE between them.
I'd go with the Epson.
You're right, I meant LCD.

This Epson uses an iris so has somewhat darker black, at the cost in this cheap model of audible iris control sound.

It's just too bad it generally has distracting sound output, even in eco.
Jun 2, 2006
268 posts
28 upvotes
The thing with most of these sub $1000 portable projectors is as much as the picture quality has improved dramatically, the fan noise is still an issue. And that's clearly because of the size and the little space the have inside to put a quality fan in them.
Aug 26, 2008
663 posts
228 upvotes
Montreal
pesttt wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 9:19 am
The thing with most of these sub $1000 portable projectors is as much as the picture quality has improved dramatically, the fan noise is still an issue. And that's clearly because of the size and the little space the have inside to put a quality fan in them.
I think for not much more money they could make them significantly quieter. The ex9200 I received sounds like a truck idling in eco mode, it's the uneven quality that makes it distracting. I don't even think I could quiet it with a hushbox. If the enclosure were better assembled with strategic rubber grommets, and a higher quality fan were used, which couldn't cost more than $20 at manufacturing, it would be much more acceptable. But that would interfere with their price tier strategy.