• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2009 4:39 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
19 upvotes

Staples Exended Warranty

I've read many a horror story of disappointments, letdowns, and outright lies encountered when trying to get satisfaction under extended warranties, so I'd just like to relate my experience with Staples.
I purchased an HP 17" notebook, and, for some reason, also bought the extended warranty from Staples. I don't usually buy extended warranties, since they are described as ripoffs by many consumer advocacy groups, although on the rare occasions when I have purchased one, such as on a Sears Dishwasher, it has proven a real lifesaver. I expressed some
remorse afterwards, because the Staples warranty didn't cover accidental damage, whereas, had I bought the HP extended warranty, it would have.
This notebook was BIG, and thus wasn't carted around, but, instead, used as a desktop. Which meant that it wasn't even opened/closed that often, which is probably why it took almost 3 years for the left hinge to disintegrate, instead of the mere months many other owners reported. Except for a few vociferous complainers, according to Web postings, HP refused warranty repairs, claiming "accidental damage", when, in fact, it was well known this was a design flaw caused by heat from the CPU being directed at the left hinge, causing plastic embrittlement and subsequent disintegration
of the hinge, and separation of the display surround.
I wasn't aware of this design flaw until it impacted me, and searching the Web revealed the extent of the problem, and HP's dishonest response.
That's when I checked up on my extended warranty from Staples. Unlike Future Shop, whose extended warrantees begin the day of purchase, and run in parallel to the manufacturer's warranty, Staples warranty kicks in at the END of the manufacturer's warranty, so, if it's a 3 year extended warranty, it REALLY IS 3 years EXTENSION to the manufacturer's
warranty, unlike Future Shop, whose "3 year extended warranty" really only extends the manufacturers warranty by TWO years!
So, I took my HP notebok to the Staples Store where I had purchased it - Oshawa Center, with the recipt for the extended warranty, and a printout from the Web showing this was a known design flaw. I was treated courteously, no arguments, and my notebook was repaired within a week. On bringing it home, it works as well as new, and no data was lost.
I am pleased with service I got, which is very different from what many others have experienced with "extended warranties" purchased elsewhere.
Kudos to Staples - I'm a happy customer!
Oh, and HP are permanently off my shopping list!
2 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2040 posts
26 upvotes
I am glad you had a positive experience with Staples Extended Warranty.

Although tech service in general is rather expensive. I find that once you come into Staples with a product with Staples Extended Warranty, it's like a golden ticket, they will go through leaps and bounds to handle your case, in many cases the overall work and service costing more than the warranty itself.

HP has alot of defective products out in consumer's hands. This is my experience working as resident tech for Staples for about a year.
Aug 29, 2004
778 posts
59 upvotes
The tech guy at staples told me the extended warranty even covers the battery so based on that point I got my extended warranty at staples. No problems yet but at least it gives me peace of mind.

With respect to HP - their customer service is atrocious. I called three or four days before the warranty expired and was told that they needed to get approval from the manager and assured me that because my ticket number was dated before the end of the warranty they would honour the warranty still. Guess what - they called me back a few days after my warranty expired and said your warranty has expired. :mad: After numerous calls after that no CSR there would give me the time of day - time after time assuring me that a manager will take a look at my situation and for me to call back later.
Reduce Fortune Discussion