Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

getting out of Video Game business - Clearance Deals - YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2014 10:13 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3148 posts
7723 upvotes
Ontario

[Staples] getting out of Video Game business - Clearance Deals - YMMV

I saw a RFD deal for some Wii U games on sale at Staples. I bought the Wii Party U "bundle" for $29.99, which is an ok deal (since it comes with a controller). Receipt attached.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZdBM7fG.jpg[/IMG]

Though I had to go to 4 different Staples, regardless that each one said they had "stock" available. So if you're planning to go out and pick up a game, ensure they have it in their hand before heading out. In GTA, the Hwy 7 and 400 Staples showed 1 in stock, couldn't find it. Steeles and Keel showed 4, but staff couldn't find them. Eventually called Aurora, and waited until they put it aside before heading up.

But from what I've learned, Staples is getting out of the video game business. Two different stores said this to me without me prompting the question. Most of their video game items were slightly discounted. Like $10-$20 off.

No big deals, but maybe as time goes on, there will be bigger clearance items. Staples wasn't my favourite place to buy games, but often had newer games discounted to $29.99 and similar.
564 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11298 posts
3835 upvotes
Nowhere
How hard would it be to type Video Games clearance? VG business!!???
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3148 posts
7723 upvotes
Ontario
Cheap Cat wrote: How hard would it be to type Video Games clearance? VG business!!???
Always prefer shorter titles. But it's not an issue. Done.
Aug 1, 2011
524 posts
78 upvotes
I actually heard the same rumor from an associate last time I picked up a game; they will not be carrying games anymore which hopefully means some clearance action soon.
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is the Ace of Spades.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
3541 posts
3864 upvotes
Montreal
They were never really in it. They sold the odd consoles and games...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
I was at Staples yesterday to pick up Beyond Two Souls for the PS3.
I did see quite a lot of gaming stuffs on sale.
It looked more like they were just getting out of the Wii U business, as they had all of that stuff on clearance.
They were fully stocked on PS4 & Xbox One stuff @ regular price.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Staples will be bankrupt in 5 years.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Nov 15, 2013
752 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't all stores closed today?
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15501 posts
5768 upvotes
Ya, no one ever goes into Staples for video games. Unless they start discounting it like futureshop/bestbuy like new games for 39. Or they do those crazy trade in crap like EB.

The only reason Staples is still afloat is because of their corporate clients. Same reason why Grand and Toy is still around.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Syne wrote: Staples will be bankrupt in 5 years.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1858 posts
627 upvotes
TO
Are they doing deals on consoles too?
Apr 19, 2014
296 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nah, they will either still be around or be bought out by OfficeMax.

There's still a market for lazy office managers/secretaries who'd rather order expensive office supplies over the phone than take a stroll to Walmart.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6705 posts
2104 upvotes
Mississauga
I can't wait that long,PLZ SOONER.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2303 posts
680 upvotes
Vancouver
immortal_kssss wrote: I can't wait that long,PLZ SOONER.
Why would anybody want Staples to go under???? It would just mean less competition in general and that would be bad for consumers at large.

all the best.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
3267 posts
1436 upvotes
I can't understand how they are not getting out of Business all together. We have 3 in our city, and whenever I go in to abuse the coupon deals, which im sure there selling at a loss, the store is barron. Never a lineup, only one cash open. Unless they can make a killing on the paper and pen business, I do not see how they can turn a profit.
If I have answered your question, Hit the Ol' THUMBS UP❗
Aug 25, 2006
926 posts
477 upvotes
That is cause everything is online (not to mention OOS).
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2194 posts
1103 upvotes
London
BoombasticSloth wrote: Why would anybody want Staples to go under???? It would just mean less competition in general and that would be bad for consumers at large.

all the best.
Personal grudges and ignorance I guess. Staples provides some competition and is great for returns, coupons, etc. Sites like shop.ca which sell things at ridiculous prices don't offer any competition though and should die. I'd like to see staples around a little longer.
Dec 31, 2006
935 posts
764 upvotes
I have always really liked being able to return online orders from staples by just getting getting someone to come and pick it up
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2008
1045 posts
396 upvotes
Calgary
Answers wrote: I can't understand how they are not getting out of Business all together. We have 3 in our city, and whenever I go in to abuse the coupon deals, which im sure there selling at a loss, the store is barron. Never a lineup, only one cash open. Unless they can make a killing on the paper and pen business, I do not see how they can turn a profit.
Same thing here. I've also wondered the same about The Source....
The Best Deals Are The Unadvertised Ones
Dec 18, 2013
533 posts
101 upvotes
Staples...not busy???? My local Staples is always busy.