Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

HP Officejet Pro 8710 printer is only $39.99, if you trade-in an old printer

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2022 3:46 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
tofubb wrote: Yes I saw the too.
I post the $69.99 screen capture here, in case you need it.
it said the sale is ended on 4/14. Not sure can they increase the price before 4/14.
Thank you for the screenshots! I was able to go to my local Staples today and get $30 back from the $40 paid originally on the 8710 13 days ago. For $10, this deal was ridiculously good!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
This printer comes with 2 free months of free ink trial provided you give them a credit card, and it is done within 7 days of activating the printer.

Now, if you wanted the XL cartridge for refills with Costco, could you print over 300 pages with the free trial to get them to mail you the XLs cartridges for free, then cancel slightly before month #2?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1046 posts
1308 upvotes
Ontario
imoo2u wrote: Too bad, had to leave my old working dot-matrix printer (parallel port) behind Crying Face
Eli_to_me wrote: ]So sad to leave the dear and familiar old but working printer behind and have to deal with this new technologically confusing printer. Crying FaceCrying Face
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Lol I'm still not letting go of my dot matrix printer, EPSON LX-810. I still have 1 ink ribbon that hasn't dried out yet! Still works with my USB 1.1 to Centronix (IEEE 1284) adapter with Windows 7 (32-bit only). I can get ¼ppm on this baby! Lol
eelw11 wrote: Well Best Buy sale ended. So really no reason for Staples to keep the price. Wonder if we can argue that their website listed it until the 14th?
Yeah I think you should be able to argue it. It clearly said until April 14th.
michelangelo88 wrote: The deal just went from hot to warm. 8710 price increased to $99.99, bringing it to $39.99 after trade-in.
I thought the original sale prices were supposed to last till 30th April
8710 sale price of $69.99 was supposed to last until Sunday, April 14th. So this is a false advertising type of issue.
The $60 off special trade-in offer for 8710/8720 is the only promo that goes to April 30th.
badOne wrote: which company is paying for the trade-in program?
HP
badOne wrote: This printer comes with 2 free months of free ink trial provided you give them a credit card, and it is done within 7 days of activating the printer.
Now, if you wanted the XL cartridge for refills with Costco, could you print over 300 pages with the free trial to get them to mail you the XLs cartridges for free, then cancel slightly before month #2?
They'll send you XL carts if you print over 300? Interesting proposition.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
badOne wrote: This printer comes with 2 free months of free ink trial provided you give them a credit card, and it is done within 7 days of activating the printer.

I believe the Instant Ink cartridges they send you are coded to the service, you cannot used them without an Instant Ink subscription.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1727 posts
685 upvotes
no once you get free plan or any plan you are stuck with hp and no amount of new or refilled cartridges purchased from anyone or store other than the hp plan will work - that is why so many complaints against hp so think if you go plan you stuck with plan and when you go beyond free pages to pay plan you can't go back to free on that printer - then you need new printer - usual junk hardware that you never really own once on their plan(s)
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1076 posts
1290 upvotes
NB
smoraes wrote: no once you get free plan or any plan you are stuck with hp and no amount of new or refilled cartridges purchased from anyone or store other than the hp plan will work - that is why so many complaints against hp so think if you go plan you stuck with plan and when you go beyond free pages to pay plan you can't go back to free on that printer - then you need new printer - usual junk hardware that you never really own once on their plan(s)
Theoretically, you could disable internet connection for the printer. It can still print via WiFi Direct, but won't be able to call HP or CIA
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
smoraes wrote: no once you get free plan or any plan you are stuck with hp and no amount of new or refilled cartridges purchased from anyone or store other than the hp plan will work - that is why so many complaints against hp so think if you go plan you stuck with plan and when you go beyond free pages to pay plan you can't go back to free on that printer - then you need new printer - usual junk hardware that you never really own once on their plan(s)
Are you sure you cant change back to manual cartridges (official or unofficial) after using HP ink plan?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
Talked to Angela @ instant ink program today. 855-785-2777
Got some good and bad news.

If you signed up for instant ink program in first 7days after you registered your printer, you will get two months free subscription.
you can print up to 300pages in these two months.
However, your started ink will become part of instant ink program. Your instant ink program will start as soon as you enrolled.
And they will send you a replacement package in 2-3 weeks.

After these two months. You will switch to the plan that you choose, which included the free 15pages/month program, just need to call.

After you cancel your instant ink subscription, you can still your started ink cartridges.
But all the replacement ink cartridges will be blocked. No matter they still have ink or not, you won’t able to use them. And you need to send them back, they pay for shipping fee.
So, you better purchase your own ink cartridges, before you cancel your subscription. She suggested you to cancel it online two days in advance.
Then you will on your own cartridges.
Because I asked questions, so she gave me another month for free.
Last edited by tofubb on Apr 12th, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4251 posts
2615 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Thanks for the info but I'm still a bit unsure of the options.

Sounds like the 15 page free plan can be had by calling in - should that be done before or after setting up the printer?

Can the free plan continue for a longer time - not sure what is meant about the one or two months free?

So the printer cartridges stop working if you cancel the free plan?

I already setup an ENVY 4520 with the free plan and it's been going fine so far. It would be okay with me if the 8710 can also be setup with the 15 page free plan option as I do not intend to print much...

Guess I'll call the number - thanks!
I can't afford to save that much!
Jan 29, 2017
345 posts
178 upvotes
after calling 5 stores today, finally got a 8720 from a staples in north surrey today. previously a store in south surrey said they had two and would hold me one, then called back 5 mins later saying they actually had none.

the north surrey store showed two as well when i called them, but originally said they couldn't hold them as they were ina too high of demand. after saying i was driving there immediately and had an hour long drive, they agreed to hold one for me. except when i got there they didn't hold it. i ended up getting the last one which was sitting out on the floor.

trade in old printer was no hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
tofubb wrote: Talked to Angela @ instant ink program today. 855-785-2777

We can join the free 15pages/month program, just need to call.
If you signed up instant ink program in first 7days after you register your printer, you will get two months free subscription.
However, your started ink will become part of instant ink program. Your instant ink program will start as soon as you enrolled.

After you cancel your instant ink subscription, your started ink cartridges will back to as regular ink cartridges, you can still use them.
But all the replacement ink cartridges will be blocked. No matter they still have ink or not, you won’t able to use them. And you need to send them back, they pay for shipping fee.
So, you better purchase your own ink cartridges, before you cancel your subscription. She suggested you to cancel it online two days in advance.
Then you will need to purchase your own ink cartridges.
Because I asked questions, so she give me another month for free.
Thanks for calling.

So you're saying the printer starter cartridges count towards the 'free limit per month'. And whatever cartridges they mail to you will cease to work and they want you to mail it back to them at their cost.

This would mean if you used up the total free allowance per month it would imply using all the ink in your starter cartridge as well their mailed to you cartridges, So to keep your starter cartridges after the freebie is over you have to stay well below their started free limit and use only their physical cartridges sent to you.

And the printer after cancellation of the monthly ink service reverts back to buy your own cartridge, is that correct?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
stagefright wrote: after calling 5 stores today, finally got a 8720 from a staples in north surrey today. previously a store in south surrey said they had two and would hold me one, then called back 5 mins later saying they actually had none.

the north surrey store showed two as well when i called them, but originally said they couldn't hold them as they were ina too high of demand. after saying i was driving there immediately and had an hour long drive, they agreed to hold one for me. except when i got there they didn't hold it. i ended up getting the last one which was sitting out on the floor.

trade in old printer was no hassle.
The employees are employing dirty tricks so that they can get one for themselves. The "0+" thing we saw today actually meant they had physical stock but wasn't willing to say so online. Anyone who went to the store or called the store would have gotten a printer.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
deals46 wrote: Thanks for the info but I'm still a bit unsure of the options.

Sounds like the 15 page free plan can be had by calling in - should that be done before or after setting up the printer?
After or when your two months free subscription is closed to expiry.

Can the free plan continue for a longer time - not sure what is meant about the one or two months free?
Two months free plan is the one that allow you print up to 300pages.

So the printer cartridges stop working if you cancel the free plan? Yer, the replacement cartridges that sent from HP

I already setup an ENVY 4520 with the free plan and it's been going fine so far. It would be okay with me if the 8710 can also be setup with the 15 page free plan option as I do not intend to print much...

Guess I'll call the number - thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
badOne wrote: Thanks for calling.

So you're saying the printer starter cartridges count towards the 'free limit per month'. Yes
And whatever cartridges they mail to you will cease to work and they want you to mail it back to them at their cost. Yes, after you cancel the subscription

This would mean if you used up the total free allowance per month it would imply using all the ink in your starter cartridge as well their mailed to you cartridges, So to keep your starter cartridges after the freebie is over you have to stay well below their started free limit and use only their physical cartridges sent to you. After the two months free subscription, you need to behave to save money.

And the printer after cancellation of the monthly ink service reverts back to buy your own cartridge, is that correct? Yes
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
2145 posts
2604 upvotes
Toronto
tofubb wrote: Talked to Angela @ instant ink program today. 855-785-2777

If you signed up for instant ink program in first 7days after you registered your printer, you will get two months free subscription.
you can print up to 300pages in these two months.

After these two months. You will switch to the plan that you choose, which included the free 15pages/month program, just need to call.

After you cancel your instant ink subscription, you can still your started ink cartridges.
Then you will on your own cartridges.
Because I asked questions, so she gave me another month for free.
They said you can go on free 15 page/month plan on the 8700 series?

It doesn’t show online but you say they can make it happen over the phone?

If so I would just get them to give the free plan right away on the 8720 I got vs the free 2 months at 300pg since I actually don’t print much but needed an adf scanner and flatbed that took 11x14
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2017
5187 posts
6030 upvotes
Based on my call to Instant Ink, free plan isn’t available on the 8710 in Canada. I called in advising I had an OfficeJet Pro series and wanted to see if they could do anything to offer the free 15 page plan. The agent said he could make arrangements to add that plan. But once it was confirmed I was in Canada, he couldn’t add the free plan. So just asked him to activate the free 2 month trial. He then offered another 2 free months since he couldn’t provide the free plan. And he said it would be fine to install the new Instant Ink cartridges once I receive them and store the starter ones.

edit - checked account online, he actually only gave me a single additional month. Meh, I'm still fine with that.
Last edited by eelw11 on Apr 13th, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
sounds like a no-brainer to take the free ink for 2 months, and store the starter cartridges for after 2 month free ink
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2017
5187 posts
6030 upvotes
Forgot to mention this earlier. But the support agent gave the capacity of my current starter cartridges. Based on my printer usage, 12 prints - 1 test print, 3 B&W copies, 6 text printouts and 2 11x8.5 photos. Black at 79%, 3 colour cartridges between 39-41%. But looking at the remaining ink gauge, black just slightly below 100%, colours around 90%. So definitely inaccurate the ink levels what we can see vs what HP has access to.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
BoredAtWork wrote: They said you can go on free 15 page/month plan on the 8700 series?

It doesn’t show online but you say they can make it happen over the phone?
According to the agent, yes for both
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
eelw11 wrote: Based on my call to Instant Ink, free plan isn’t available on the 8710 in Canada. I called in advising I had an OfficeJet Pro series and wanted to see if they could do anything to offer the free 15 page plan. The agent said he could make arrangements to add that plan. But once it was confirmed I was in Canada, he couldn’t add the free plan. So just asked him to activate the free 2 month trial. He then offered another 2 free months since he couldn’t provide the free plan. And he said it would be fine to install the new Instant Ink cartridges once I receive them and store the starter ones.

edit - checked account online, he actually only gave me a single additional month. Meh, I'm still fine with that.
Strange, I already registered online, she can see my printer and usage information.
She knew I am in Canada, she even quoted me the additional pages is $1.25 for 10pages.
She suggested me to change my package when my free subscription is close to expire.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)