Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] HP Officejet Pro 8710 printer is only $39.99, if you trade-in an old printer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2019 4:46 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
3474 posts
3224 upvotes
tofubb wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:14 pm
Yes
Perfect. Thank you.
Please DON'T PM me for SPC codes, kindly ask for them in the Samsung thread's (HOT DEALS) section and I will respond with one.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
324 posts
305 upvotes
vancouver
SagaA wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 9:28 pm
What is the expiry date for your started kit? Will they dry out around the expiry date even we don’t use it?
[/quote]

Interesting... Didn't think of expiry date. Where can I find the info? I only see a date of 2020-09 labelled on the cartridges but this is for "Warranty Ends:" instead.

Oh that is warranty end date! I thought that is expiry date.
[/quote]
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4660 posts
1868 upvotes
oddly enough the EWS webste for the printer shows the printhead was installed late last month, but the firmware is from 2017.
Oct 27, 2017
248 posts
143 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:50 pm
oddly enough the EWS webste for the printer shows the printhead was installed late last month, but the firmware is from 2017.
LOL I was wondering the exact same thing. My warranty period started October 14, 2018. So have to assume manufactured shortly before then. I'm still waiting on the updated warranty status.
Mar 25, 2018
10 posts
3 upvotes
SagaA wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 6:04 pm
As stated, my understanding from the conversation with HP is that the starter kit is not part of the FREE Plan and can be used anytime (on my printer or any other compatible printer). The restriction is on the new cartridges under the FREE Plan is, in addition to 15 pages only per month, the chips on them are registered to my printer only and cannot be used on other printer even the cartridges are physically compatible. So it'd be better to save the starter kit for future use in case I need to print > 15 pages any time in a month or some of my friends need the inkWinking Face. The key is to find a way to preserve the starter kit and keep the cartridges fresh so I'm think putting them in a vacuum sealed bag and stored in a cool place.
I don't think this is correct based on my talk with Hp representer . Once you join to the ink program, you cannot replace your instant ink with your starter ink. You can use your starter ink once you cancelled you HP instant ink plan.
I joined Instant ink today and they are going to send me instant ink cartridges. In meanwhile, my starter ink counts as instant ink and if i print more that 15 pages, i will be charged.
Aug 29, 2009
68 posts
30 upvotes
meysamsh wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 11:04 pm
I don't think this is correct based on my talk with Hp representer . Once you join to the ink program, you cannot replace your instant ink with your starter ink. You can use your starter ink once you cancelled you HP instant ink plan.
I joined Instant ink today and they are going to send me instant ink cartridges. In meanwhile, my starter ink counts as instant ink and if i print more that 15 pages, i will be charged.
These were what I understood from my HP rep. Couldn't confirm the first one though but for the second one, surely the page count starts only when you receive and install the new smart ink cartridges from them. The starter ink cartridges that come with the 8710 printer are not Instant Ink Ready cartridges (not sure about 8720 though) so they are not smart enough to be recognized so it won't count the pages towards the Plan. You can google it to find out too. I think it's also mentioned in the ToS. The Rep also asked me to save the starter kit for future use if desired.
Mar 25, 2018
10 posts
3 upvotes
SagaA wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 11:26 pm
These were what I understood from my HP rep. Couldn't confirm the first one though but for the second one, surely the page count starts only when you receive and install the new smart ink cartridges from them. The starter ink cartridges that come with the 8710 printer are not Instant Ink Ready cartridges (not sure about 8720 though) so they are not smart enough to be recognized so it won't count the pages towards the Plan. You can google it to find out too. I think it's also mentioned in the ToS. The Rep also asked me to save the starter kit for future use if desired.
I have 8710 with starter ink and cannot print more that 15 pages for free in a month. My starter ink counts toward the plan, i can see that by going to the HP instant website. I see some other people in the same thread mentioned the same thing. However, will call HP tomorrow to be sure.
Oct 27, 2017
248 posts
143 upvotes
SagaA wrote:
the page count starts only when you receive and install the new smart ink cartridges from them\
I did one print after enroling into the program. I used up my first page of 50.
SagaA wrote:
The starter ink cartridges that come with the 8710 printer are not Instant Ink Ready cartridges (not sure about 8720 though) so they are not smart enough to be recognized so it won't count the pages towards the Plan.\
The cartridges that came in my printer are working fine with Instant Ink.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2852 posts
979 upvotes
Scarborough
Been OOS for many days now, i'm glad the promotion has been extended but useless without stock. Hopefully this week
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
324 posts
305 upvotes
vancouver
I enrolled to the program when I registered.
My started ink becomes part of the program as soon as I enrolled. And that is why HP gives us two months free subscription. And all the pages I printed will count.
My started ink will disconnect to the program after I left the program. And I can use it at normal ink, if there is any left.

I believe there is something to do with the two months free subscription. If you join the program in a later date which you don’t get the two months free, your pages will start to count when you are using the smart ink that is shipped to you.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
324 posts
305 upvotes
vancouver
SagaA wrote:
Not sure is it the case. You enrolled to the program before you input your started ink in your printer. So HP has no information of your started ink and cannot block it.
During the program, if you disconnect your printer from internet and use your started ink to print, HP cannot do anything and your printer will recognize it as regular ink. After that you can switch back to smart ink and connect it to internet again.
But for me, because I input my started ink to the printer before I enrolled. So HP registered my started ink to instant ink program. So no matter I am using the started ink or smart ink, all pages will count.
Sep 21, 2010
220 posts
46 upvotes
SagaA wrote:
sooo much misinformation. when you register the printer into Instant Ink, the starter becomes part of it. The starter is Instant Ink "ready".

The very knowledgble rep told me, once you use another cartridge after the setup cartidge, you canNOT go back to using that setup cartidge.

Would be very happy to be proven wrong though!!
Sep 21, 2010
220 posts
46 upvotes
tofubb wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 12:24 am
Not sure is it the case. You enrolled to the program before you input your started ink in your printer. So HP has no information of your started ink and cannot block it.
During the program, if you disconnect your printer from internet and use your started ink to print, HP cannot do anything and your printer will recognize it as regular ink. After that you can switch back to smart ink and connect it to internet again.
But for me, because I input my started ink to the printer before I enrolled. So HP registered my started ink to instant ink program. So no matter I am using the started ink or smart ink, all pages will count.
if you disconnect your printer from the internet, it will only print for a while, then it will complain that you haven't uploaded information to the web for a while, and won't work!
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
324 posts
305 upvotes
vancouver
gnewylliw wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 12:25 am
if you disconnect your printer from the internet, it will only print for a while, then it will complain that you haven't uploaded information to the web for a while, and won't work!
Yes, but this is only needed for when you go over your limit in a blue moon.