Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Hyken Technical Mesh Task Chair 50%+10% Coupon $128.17 5y warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 3:30 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2733 posts
241 upvotes
I've honestly NEVER understood "headrests" because every "headrest" I have EVER experienced in any chair, seems to push your neck forward in an uncomfortable position, its EXTREMELY uncomfortable... They always make head rests project out, when they should dip in far more than they project outwards.
Jun 29, 2010
73 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
recommend the purchase, a good and light chair for the price.
vorthex wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 9:18 am
I've honestly NEVER understood "headrests" because every "headrest" I have EVER experienced in any chair, seems to push your neck forward in an uncomfortable position, its EXTREMELY uncomfortable... They always make head rests project out, when they should dip in far more than they project outwards.
i don't normally sit with a good enough posture to use the headrest, but when i lean back (or falling asleep), the headrest is comfortable enough to support my head.
Oct 6, 2012
68 posts
18 upvotes
edmonton
Thanks OP. Bought one , Chair feels very comfortable. Bought with 10% off and extended warranty for $12.99. According to the warranty it will cover manufacture warranty of 5 year + 1 More year . So 6 years coverage for $142 is not bad. Thanks
Jan 20, 2006
620 posts
28 upvotes
Montreal
the chair seems nice and well built at this price. However, it is not for me or taller people. I am 5'11" 90KG male, the the bottom cushion is just not very supportive. about 1/3 of my legs are not been supported. The headrest is not that useful after several tires as it is too loose and not really height adjustable (well, you can roll it up 2 clicks but basically if you lean your head on it , it will roll back down).
If the thigh support can be better in the next version, then this will be a major go for me.
Jul 7, 2013
836 posts
358 upvotes
North York
supremekai wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 3:53 pm
Did you check out ikea markus chair?
+1 for the ikea Markus. So comfortable and tilts back nicely. So comfortable I fell asleep on it several times when tilted back.
6"
Aug 19, 2009
74 posts
21 upvotes
This chair is amazing. I bought it after reading a lot reviews on Wed, got it on Thursday. Assembled it quickly and actually fell asleep in it because it's so comfy. I have no problem with headrest. In fact every postition (height/tilt) of the headrest works for me. Judging from all the reviews I read online people who are 170cm+ seems to have problems with the headrest being in an uncomfortable position. I'm short around 163cm-ish and it's great for me.

pros for me:
- comfy chair
- mesh so prob cool in summer
- lumbar support not bad. you can feel it but it doesn't poke at you too much, i wish it did tho.
- headrest is good for me.
- VERY clear assembly instructions with screws clearly marked. (there is a manual download on the product page but if you have ad blocker you will not see it. direct download link for anyone interested. download here)
- height adjustable arm rests
- tilt, tilt lock etc.

cons for me:
- mesh tends to attract and retain dust....
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1411 posts
652 upvotes
What does the 5 year warranty cover?
Dec 23, 2007
11 posts
4 upvotes
Westmount
So I got this chair yesterday morning around 10am after placing the order around 4pm the day before. Incredible delivery service. Very impressed.

As for the chair: I've had my eye on this for almost a year I think and was waiting for it to go on sale 50% again. I trusted the reviews and I really, really wanted to like this but sitting in this chair is almost like torture. After about 10 minutes, the front foam under the mesh starts cutting off circulation and the whole chair kind of cups your legs and pushes them inward. Like a bad hammock. Like you can't sit flat. It pushes you to the center. Very uncomfortable. And I didn't consider myself picky. I currently have another chair that I bought a decade ago from Bureau en gros for about $130 I think and it's still great: comfortable, in good shape, it just doesn't have neck support, and we also needed another chair now that the family is bigger. But this Hyken chair is just the worst. Really disappointed. Maybe the mesh isn't tight enough on mine or something, but I'm going to have to return it.

It went together very easily, and quickly for what it's worth.

I also have my doubts about whether staples canada will be around in 5 years to service that warranty. But I would definitely order again in the short term, especially with the super quick delivery.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
1912 posts
628 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Sorry if I missed it in the 6 pages, but how is the return policy on this if it doesn't work out for me? I am 265 and I know I am over the 250 recommendation, although I don't spend nearly that long of a period in my chair at any given time, so I am hoping that offsets the weight issue. I read over the return policy online, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has had issues. Thank you
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Feb 15, 2008
371 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
stuffluster wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 2:04 pm
As for the chair: I've had my eye on this for almost a year I think and was waiting for it to go on sale 50% again. I trusted the reviews and I really, really wanted to like this but sitting in this chair is almost like torture. After about 10 minutes, the front foam under the mesh starts cutting off circulation and the whole chair kind of cups your legs and pushes them inward. Like a bad hammock. Like you can't sit flat. It pushes you to the center. Very uncomfortable.
I have agree with you.
Wife and I went to Staples store on Wednesday and sit on this chair for 30 mins.
We are not tall people (5'7 and 5'3) so the headrest and back portion of the seat feels very good. 2 points that bother us a lot are.

1. Front potion of the seat feels like it's cutting your leg's blood circulation after you sit on it for a while.
2. Some times we sits on the chair corss-legged (or put one leg under another leg). The sitting area is not wide enough for cross-legged sitting, and the the stick out sharp edge will make you feel very uncomfortable cuz there are no padding on the edge.
We tried another chair in while in the Staples store --> https://www.staples.ca/en/Office-Star-M ... CA_1_20001 and the sitting cushion on this one feels a lot more comfortable than the Hyken model. I wish Hyken has that cushion instead of the hard plastic edge mesh seats.

After we left Staples, we went to Ikea and try out the Markus office chair. Markus feels a lot more comfortable than the Staples Hyken, but the design of the arm rest make it difficult for us cross legged sit on it. The none adjustable arm rest is also another show stopper for us from buying that chair. The wheels on Markus is not very smooth when you roll the chair while nobody sitting on it, but there are no problem when you roll the chair while sitting on the chair.

Too bad i'll have to pass up on such a great deal for this chair.
Last edited by phuangk on Oct 27th, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 13, 2012
53 posts
63 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, bought one with a $10 newsletter sign up coupon. Came out to be $139.03 with AB tax. Did the 2 hour in-store pickup. I might just try it in store and if I don't like it get a refund right away. Good thing I'm only 5'7 so maybe the headrest will be good for me lol.
Aug 25, 2006
421 posts
84 upvotes
Pickering
Have owned mine over a year and for my 5'9" heavy set frame it has performed flawlessly and still looks close to new. Minimum 6 hours use daily. Most comfortable sub $200 chair I have ever used and fits me perfectly, headrest and all. So impressed that I bought a spare during this sale. One thing I did, is bought a gel pad for the seat (goes on sale at CanTire for around $10) and this has enhanced the experience.
Oct 5, 2007
148 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to OP,
I like the chair so far and the delivery was incredibly impressive. Ordered at 6 pm and got it at 9:30 am the next day, right when I was about to leave for work!!
This was a spur of the moment purchase, so I did not compare other chairs in store.

I don't feel an issue with the mesh, as one poster just mentioned. It is a flat/cushioned surface, definitely not like an upward hammock as described.
But, I do feel the cushion, base of the seat is slightly large, resulting in your legs being stretched slightly. My only minor complaint, but easily solved with a foot stool or small box to rest your feet.

People saying, the headrest digging into their shoulder blades, I feel mine is too far from my neck, shoulder area, I need to really sit upright to make use of the headrest.

As long as this chair lasts the duration of the 5 year warranty, it is a really good buy in my opinion
I like it so far, and will say
Sep 22, 2010
125 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria
Grabbed one. Will post back with a review once I pick it up after work. 5'10" 145lbs.

Thanks,
Cal.
May 16, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
Hi,

Anyone have a coupon, I'm not able to receive any email from Staples. I can't get the Newsletter 10$.
If someone would be kind enough to PM me a coupon.

Thanks a lot.