Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Staples

Kanto YUMI Powered Bookshelf Audio System $178.49

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2014 7:02 am
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1764 posts
156 upvotes
fastvideo wrote: I am expecting to receive it today.
In your case, it is definitely a defective unit .
Returned my unit yesterday and got Staples to send me a replacement, hopefully it'll be good.
Oct 21, 2004
445 posts
35 upvotes
Colin0317 wrote: My laptop has a 3.5 mm headphone jack which I plan on using to connect these speakers. Are there any advantages to using a 3.5 mm to aux cable over a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable?
I personally prefer 3.5 mm to aux cable over a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable.
They should do the same job, depends on what you have on hand.

Price went back to$353.49 now, Can't believe how they can promote this at half price.
I am still waiting to receive mine :(
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
4239 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
fastvideo wrote: I personally prefer 3.5 mm to aux cable over a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable.
They should do the same job, depends on what you have on hand.

Price went back to$353.49 now, Can't believe how they can promote this at half price.
I am still waiting to receive mine :(
same here, you're not the only one waiting :(
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1764 posts
156 upvotes
Ok, so I received my new replacement speakers yesterday and hooked them up. The remote worked right away but say I have the speakers on with nothing playing out of them, I still hear a soft buzzing/static sound coming out from both speakers, is this normal? If I am playing music or a movie on the speakers, the buzzing/static sound is still there but not really noticeable since the music/movie overwhelms the buzzing/static sound.
Sep 5, 2006
656 posts
479 upvotes
Calgary
icemiko wrote: Ok, so I received my new replacement speakers yesterday and hooked them up. The remote worked right away but say I have the speakers on with nothing playing out of them, I still hear a soft buzzing/static sound coming out from both speakers, is this normal? If I am playing music or a movie on the speakers, the buzzing/static sound is still there but not really noticeable since the music/movie overwhelms the buzzing/static sound.
I found that mine had a buzzing sound when I used the analog input connected to my PC's onboard sound, but when I switched to bluetooth the buzzing went away. I suspect that at least in my case the onboard sound from my PC sucks. I have a separate USB dac that I could try, but using bluetooth means I have one less wire to run behind my desk.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1764 posts
156 upvotes
davidclegg wrote: I found that mine had a buzzing sound when I used the analog input connected to my PC's onboard sound, but when I switched to bluetooth the buzzing went away. I suspect that at least in my case the onboard sound from my PC sucks. I have a separate USB dac that I could try, but using bluetooth means I have one less wire to run behind my desk.
I like these speakers but that buzzing sound is annoying even though it's soft. I tried using the RCA to 3.5 mm, AUX port and also Bluetooth and I can still hear the buzzing sound, is the speakers just like this then? If there's no way of getting rid of the buzzing sound, I will probably have to go return them again and just continue to use my Logitech Z2300.
Oct 21, 2004
445 posts
35 upvotes
I got mine today, everything is functional, speaker sound is good with rca input.
But there is a noticeable hum when no signal input or at very low volume.
Second is the left output is weaker with bluetooth (not balance)
Did any one have the same problem?
Oct 21, 2004
445 posts
35 upvotes
orb2k wrote: It's just a bug or something. When you use the remote, it takes over the volume knob. I called the Kanto support what an awesome guy, super helpful!
I did not have this problem, I had tried with bluetooth and rca input.
May 17, 2007
930 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
fastvideo wrote: I did not have this problem, I had tried with bluetooth and rca input.
I tried it with bluetooth and it is fine. What do you mean when there's no signal? Even when it's plugged with no signal, I don't have any noise. The problem might be your DAC. Everyone who's using their computer with a DAC must use a line-out not a regular output because the signal must not be amped. I still have the problem with the vol. knob. I'm going to give me them call later on Monday.

icemiko wrote: I am experiencing what this guy that reviewed the speakers is getting, that buzzing sound, no one experienced this at all? Keep in mind, I am on my 2nd set of Yumi's already and I do not want to have to go get a 3rd set.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2Y8C021TF ... C021TFBPU0
Try using a different cable.

SuckaB wrote: have u tried optical input
Not yet. I still need a cable.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1764 posts
156 upvotes
SuckaB wrote: have u tried optical input
No, I need to get a cable for that. Is it possible to get a optical to 3.5 mm since I don't think my laptop/pc has optical in.
orb2k wrote: Try using a different cable.
I tried 2 different AUX cables and there is still the buzzing sound, I also get the buzzing sound when I connect my phone to the speakers through BT.
Oct 21, 2004
445 posts
35 upvotes
icemiko wrote: No, I need to get a cable for that. Is it possible to get a optical to 3.5 mm since I don't think my laptop/pc has optical in.

I tried 2 different AUX cables and there is still the buzzing sound, I also get the buzzing sound when I connect my phone to the speakers through BT.
I think your complaint about the buzzing sound is what audiophile people call it hum without any input or at very low volume.
I have the same problem plus bluetooth output is not balance.

I tested the right speaker alone with my T-amp the sound is good.
I am going to exchange for a second pair.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1764 posts
156 upvotes
fastvideo wrote: I think your complaint about the buzzing sound is what audiophile people call it hum without any input or at very low volume.
I have the same problem plus bluetooth output is not balance.

I tested the right speaker alone with my T-amp the sound is good.
I am going to exchange for a second pair.
Let us know how the 2nd pair is, I am on my 2nd pair already and will probably return it.
Oct 21, 2004
445 posts
35 upvotes
I will see how the 2nd pair is.
It will be a easy mod to use it as speakers only since both speakers has the wiring post already.
I like the look and the size, and it really sounds good, except the poor built in active amp.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
Got Mine a few days ago and love them. I dont hear a buzz, but I will try listing closer for it with nothing playing.

Had an extra sub from my Energy Classic set and I works great with these guys. Mind you this is just a simple 2.1 setup for music on main floor (was getting annoyed at small BT speakers lol) so I dont think they will get pushed too much.

I did hook up a Pi (3.5) and sounded good. Tried the optical out from TV and again sounded good. Also tried 3 devices with bluetooth and was amazed at the range, kept connection playing well much further then the BT speakers we have.

Thanks OP. hoping to get another pair if/when they go on sale.

PS. few mentioned the the 5 are not as good as the yumi? really? please let me know as those were what I was thinking of getting as second set. (when/if they go on sale :p)
Oct 21, 2004
445 posts
35 upvotes
The replacement pair has no hum (dead quiet when no inputs), bluetooth works well also. :razz: :razz: :razz:
Sound is very good.
Now I have to deal with returning the defective one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)