[Staples] MSI Optix G27C2 27" FHD VA Curved Gaming Monitor - $256

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2018 12:09 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2014
44 posts
31 upvotes

[Staples] MSI Optix G27C2 27" FHD VA Curved Gaming Monitor - $256

Hi it's one of my first post but I think it a good deal.

Optix G27C uses high quality Samsung curved panel. With lots of great feature, Optix can help you have the better performance in a game. Compared to R4000 or R3000 curve rates, R1800 is the most comfortable for your eyes and suitable for any kind of application including gaming, office or multimedia entertainment.

27" LED-backlit LCD VA panel curved screen gaming monitor
1920 x 1080 display resolution
3000:1 Typical contrast ratio
178-degree Horizontal/178-degree Vertical viewing angle
Ports: HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA
Dimensions: 24.37"H x 17.76"W x 9.41"D, 12.79 lb
1-Year Warranty
Last edited by darkwil on Aug 21st, 2018 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
36 replies
Feb 8, 2011
145 posts
33 upvotes
Pretty decent deal. If I wasn't running triple screen, I would hop on this.

Don't forget to use ebates boys and girls.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4543 posts
949 upvotes
Kitchener
1920 x 1080 on a 27"
[OP]
Jan 23, 2014
44 posts
31 upvotes
Drthorne wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 11:56 am
1920 x 1080 on a 27"
I had a 27 inch 1440p screen And i don't see a big difference.
Mar 8, 2017
111 posts
190 upvotes
So what kind of GPU do you need to run games like R6 Siege at 1080 144hz? 1080 sli?
Feb 14, 2012
501 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
you downgraded to 1080,...i pray for you.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2014
44 posts
31 upvotes
Josecc wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 11:58 am
you downgraded to 1080,...i pray for you.
ahah thanks but i pefer the 144hz than 1440p
[OP]
Jan 23, 2014
44 posts
31 upvotes
dalex100 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 11:58 am
So what kind of GPU do you need to run games like R6 Siege at 1080 144hz? 1080 sli?
Im on a gtx 1060 and I play light game like overwatch/cs go and it's perfect
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3988 posts
930 upvotes
Hated this monitor with a burning passion when I got it and swore off MSI all together because of all the headaches, BUT I probably got a dud as I've heard some people chime in that it has been great for them.

For me though,
Displayport had a flickering issue. Every 30 secs -> 5 mins the screen would flash black. It wasn't drivers, cable, or anything like that.
I didn't know this was possible, but at one point fiddling around with monitor settings (nothing hardcore) I completely got locked out of using displayport/HDMI and could only use DVI... reset to default, nothing would remedy it.
Tech support was embarrassingly bad. There was hardly an acknowledgement they even developed monitors as it wasn't on the drop down menu for support. Their older variants of this monitor lineup also have terribleeee reviews... this is their refresh (C2) and I've heard they left the original owners out to dry.
^With all the above in mind, 1 year warranty wasn't the most reassuring. Felt like a ticking time bomb.
There was a occasional distracting level of ghosting while watching certain shows - felt like someone had a shadow following them around. I think it mostly had to do with scenes where bright objects would move through darker backgrounds as the pixels didn't transition well.

Positives?
VA colors are nice, especially coming from TN.
144hz made games really smooth.
Freesync range is always nice, although the range is a bit meh. There's software out there so you can extend the range a bit further.

In the end, I just took it back and bought a 32" VA 1440p which I consider niche for size, but I'm significantly much happier with. Still, the MSI may be worth giving a shot for people on here just because it's Staples, returns are easy, and ignoring some of the issues I described, it's pretty good bang for your buck. I WANTED this monitor to work for me, it just wasn't worth the hassles and gripes I had, but it may be different for you.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Dec 4, 2006
935 posts
48 upvotes
From the other thread (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/staples- ... #p29681094)
wonton1017 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 5:37 pm
Not sure if I was unlucky or just a defect with this model because it happened to the 3 I exchanged over and over again. There were "colour banding" issues when the monitor ran at 144hz - noticeable on grey-ish colours. Almost as if it couldn't display a certain shade of grey, instead of a grey gradient background you will get a grey gradient background with black lines on it.

Also, after using 1440p (s2716dg) for 2 years, 1080p on a 27" looks super pixelated especially in games like PUBG where you actually try to see far.
HI
Nov 15, 2014
949 posts
616 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Drthorne wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 11:56 am
1920 x 1080 on a 27"
1080p with 27 inch is actually perfect, its when u get above 30 thats when you start to notice... and even then you can get used to it (I have had 1080p 32 inch for many years and was fine with it, only recently I grabbed the Samsung CHG70 32 inch 1440p, its much nicer... but its also a better panel and costs $500 more)
Nov 24, 2015
80 posts
31 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 12:24 pm
Hated this monitor with a burning passion when I got it and swore off MSI all together because of all the headaches, BUT I probably got a dud as I've heard some people chime in that it has been great for them.

For me though,
Displayport had a flickering issue. Every 30 secs -> 5 mins the screen would flash black. It wasn't drivers, cable, or anything like that.
I didn't know this was possible, but at one point fiddling around with monitor settings (nothing hardcore) I completely got locked out of using displayport/HDMI and could only use DVI... reset to default, nothing would remedy it.
Tech support was embarrassingly bad. There was hardly an acknowledgement they even developed monitors as it wasn't on the drop down menu for support. Their older variants of this monitor lineup also have terribleeee reviews... this is their refresh (C2) and I've heard they left the original owners out to dry.
^With all the above in mind, 1 year warranty wasn't the most reassuring. Felt like a ticking time bomb.
There was a occasional distracting level of ghosting while watching certain shows - felt like someone had a shadow following them around. I think it mostly had to do with scenes where bright objects would move through darker backgrounds as the pixels didn't transition well.

Positives?
VA colors are nice, especially coming from TN.
144hz made games really smooth.
Freesync range is always nice, although the range is a bit meh. There's software out there so you can extend the range a bit further.

In the end, I just took it back and bought a 32" VA 1440p which I consider niche for size, but I'm significantly much happier with. Still, the MSI may be worth giving a shot for people on here just because it's Staples, returns are easy, and ignoring some of the issues I described, it's pretty good bang for your buck. I WANTED this monitor to work for me, it just wasn't worth the hassles and gripes I had, but it may be different for you.
I have the monitor also!
And I am experiencing where the monitor would flicker a blackscreen for 5 to 10 screen, twice in a row and goes back to normal or goes black until I close the power from the monitor and wait for 5 sec to reopen to make it work!?!?!

I don't know if it is a dummy?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
6336 posts
1839 upvotes
GVR
Bummer, the lack of adjustability on the stand and lack of vesa mount points are two big cons IMO.