Shopping Discussion

Staples Needs to Close Their Doors

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2012 10:52 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Rate Staples Product Support

• Total votes: 33. You have voted on this poll.
Excellent

27%
Good

6%
Average

21%
Poor

15%
Horrible

30%
Mar 8, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
MOOSE JAW

Staples Needs to Close Their Doors

Staples as a retailer has been a nightmare. If you buy something don't expect them to stand behind their products.

I have had many issues with this retailer over the years, but always seem to go back.

My most recent issue, I bought a leather office chair. Inside of a year the leather started to crack. Thing's were busy and I wasn't in a rush expecting an expensive leather chair to have a 3 or 5 year warranty.

Recently I tried to have it replaced. To my surprise it was a 1 year warranty. The sotre gave me the manufacturers number.

As a side note stay away from True Innovations (also known as True Seating). Horrible customer service as well. As it was 4 months outside of the warranty, they were willing to sell me a replacement seat, but were not bothered in the least that their product had failed.

Back to the store I bought it at. The manager also was less than helpful. He was unwilling to even forward the complaint to the area manager. Instead he sent me to the corporate office 1-800 number.

After eventually working through thier rediculous excuse for a telephone system I finally reached a human being. Corporate staples must care about their reputation right? Wrong, they were the worst of them all. When I finally reached an agent he was the rudest yet. Unwilling to help and basically hanging up before the conversation was over. Would love to see the quality reps pull the tape on that conversation and see how long he would keep his job.

So, in the long run I have a broken chair and staples has lost of customer.

In summary. Stay away from Staples if you expect any level of support.

Buyer be ware.
30 replies
Mar 26, 2007
688 posts
46 upvotes
Staple didn't do anything wrong on their part. Like you said the chair was not under warranty so I don't see why they would have to replace it for you.
Mar 8, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
MOOSE JAW
First of all I never said replace. I asked what they could do for support (repair, credit, help dealing with the company directly, I don't care). I would just expect to not be left hanging.

You must not be a big consumer. I have dealt with tons of companies over the years. Often many have not helped. If the product is well outside of it's warranty period I move on and buy a new product (usually from a different company). Most companies I have dealt with however, support their products.

When outside (but within a reasponable time frame) they are willing to help. It only strengthens their reputation and keeps a positive buying experience.

My issue at this point is the handling. Business must be booming to be blown of in this fashion by both companies.

Wait for the next recession and see which companies are hurting. The ones with great customer support or 1 year + a day = no warranty companies.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1360 posts
761 upvotes
Why do you think people here call them stooples? I think they are pretty sucky but if your chair is out of warranttee then that's just too bad for you. Especially if it's just a manufacturer's warranttee then it doesn't even have anything to do with them.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Why would the store be responsible for something that is not only outside their return policy, but also outside of the manufacture warranty? Who's fault is it that you assumed there to be a warranty greater than a year? I'm guessing that all you would have had to do to confirm that assumption was look under the seat. :facepalm:
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
67 upvotes
syd146 wrote: First of all I never said replace. I asked what they could do for support (repair, credit, help dealing with the company directly, I don't care). I would just expect to not be left hanging.
syd146 wrote: .......
... I wasn't in a rush expecting an expensive leather chair to have a 3 or 5 year warranty. Recently I tried to have it replaced. To my surprise it was a 1 year warranty. The sotre gave me the manufacturers number.
syd146 wrote: I have had many issues with this retailer over the years, but always seem to go back.
When the warranty is over it is over. And how should Staples/True Innovations know the damage to the chair wasn't your own fault?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
OP seems to be :'( over Staples lack of providing special treatment. The nerve of some peiple!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Apr 24, 2007
148 posts
11 upvotes
I don't know if it's just the branch that's local to me, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Staples' customer service. I don't go that often, but the last time I went, I wanted to buy some headphones that were on sale, but they were out of stock. They bent over backwards trying to find them in stock at another store. They even had them brought to the store, so I didn't have to trek out to another branch (shipped to my house would have been better, but whatever). All this over a $25 pair of headphones. And I'm not the only one. I've had teachers (and students' parents) tell me that they stand behind their products if they're in warranty. (Staples branded office equipment like staplers and hole punches apparently have really good warranties.) I've got one student whose parent told me that they buy the extended warranty on their printers because they know it's going to break, and Staples just hands them a new unit (because it's still in the warranty period). Maybe they turn to crap once it's out of warranty/exchange. I don't know. Of course, if it's out of warranty, I usually call the manufacturer up first, and see if I can work something out. Some companies are actually quite reasonable about that.
Mar 8, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
MOOSE JAW
4Aaron GE wrote: Maybe they turn to crap once it's out of warranty/exchange. I don't know. Of course, if it's out of warranty, I usually call the manufacturer up first, and see if I can work something out. Some companies are actually quite reasonable about that.
This is the point that people seem to be missing. This particular manufacturer could give a crap. What I do expect is some backing from Staples in dealing with them. Pretty sure the buyers for staples could quickly delist a company if their products are junk and the companies arent supporting them.

So my original point is Staples seems to not give a crap about stocking junk either.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
syd146 wrote: This is the point that people seem to be missing. This particular manufacturer could give a crap. What I do expect is some backing from Staples in dealing with them. Pretty sure the buyers for staples could quickly delist a company if their products are junk and the companies arent supporting them.

So my original point is Staples seems to not give a crap about stocking junk either.

They sell extra warranty for a reason. Caveat emptor.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Apr 24, 2007
148 posts
11 upvotes
If you don't like their products, vote with your wallet and stop buying from them. It's really quite simple. Right now, you sound like a petulant, emotional wreck. And subsequently, that also makes you sound entitled and whiny as all hell. It sounds like your fight is with the manufacturer. Staples did their part. They should have been out of the picture long ago. If you're still not satisfied, write to their corporate CS department, and let them know how you feel. Telling RFD isn't going to get you anywhere. What the heck do you expect us to do about it?

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... edcode=WW#

You know what? Here. This is the chair, right? Go write a scathing review. Tell the world how much of a POS the chair is, give it the lowest rating you can, and move on. And next time, don't buy bonded "leather".
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
syd146 wrote: This is the point that people seem to be missing. This particular manufacturer could give a crap. What I do expect is some backing from Staples in dealing with them. Pretty sure the buyers for staples could quickly delist a company if their products are junk and the companies arent supporting them.

Its true, companies don't care.

Warranties and customer service are prohibitive to selling more stuff. Solution? get rid of them.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
syd146 wrote: Staples as a retailer has been a nightmare. If you buy something don't expect them to stand behind their products.

I have had many issues with this retailer over the years, but always seem to go back.

My most recent issue, I bought a leather office chair. Inside of a year the leather started to crack. Thing's were busy and I wasn't in a rush expecting an expensive leather chair to have a 3 or 5 year warranty.

Recently I tried to have it replaced. To my surprise it was a 1 year warranty. The sotre gave me the manufacturers number.

As a side note stay away from True Innovations (also known as True Seating). Horrible customer service as well. As it was 4 months outside of the warranty, they were willing to sell me a replacement seat, but were not bothered in the least that their product had failed.

Back to the store. I bought it at in Moose Jaw and the manager also was less than helpful. He was unwilling to even forward the complaint to the area manager. Instead he sent me to the corporate office 1-800 number.

After eventually working through thier rediculous excuse for a telephone system I finally reached a human being. Corporate staples must care about their reputation right? Wrong, they were the worst of them all. When I finally reached an agent he was the rudest yet. Unwilling to help and basically hanging up before the conversation as over. Would ove to see the quality reps pull the tape on that conversation and see how long he would keep his job.

So, in the long run I have a broken chair and staples has lost of customer for life.

In summary. Stay away from Staples or TrueInnovations if you expect any level of support.

Buyer be ware.

I'd say they need to close their doors not because of this situation (out of warranty issue, this depends on goodwill of manager, etc.) but because they no longer beat prices by 110% of the difference. That's lame.

Btw, you should keep you broken chair and wait until one of their promotions where you can trade in your chair for $50 to $100 off a new chair.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
People have horrible retail experiences all the time. It doesn't mean that the retailers should close their doors as a result. They can't satisfy all customers and are not forcing you to shop there.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
I don't think I have ever heard of retailer going after a manufacturer for a customer's product that is outside the warranty period? What are they going after them for exactly? I mean, why would they?

Staples sells extended warranties on their chairs, while I can't remember exactly I know it covers all the accidental damage the manufacturers don't. OP should of looked into one of those. This wouldn't be a case of buying an inexpensive chair and using it in an office or something similar where its put through hours more use then it was designed?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
It's usually easy for me to find a reason to rag on a store (and I certainly don't like Staples) but yeah...I can't see the issue here.

If Staples is selling inferior product there must be other retailers to shop at? Wal-Mart? Costco?

In some provs I believe they're required to deal with the warranty at the store level but since you're out of warranty anyways that wouldn't matter.

Just stop shopping at Staples and go to where you like better (Wal-Mart, Costco, etc) - you'll save the stress of dealing with them and likely save some $ compared to what they usually sell stuff for.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
I kind of doubt Staples is going anywhere. Even if they do, something not particularly different will move in to replace them.

I do find it a little odd that they stock their stores with things like food and snacks and video games, and that there might be a lack of focus there.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Frankly OP you come across as an idiot. Staples is such a horrible store and yet you keep going back to them and buying things there?????????????

The time to check on the warranty of an item is before you buy it, not years after. Very very few things have anything other than a 1 year warranty. Your efforts to pursue this for something you were not entitled to shows incredible naivety.

Like them or not, Staples is a very successful company which has thrived while it's competitors have gone under. You have other shopping options. I look forward to seeing your next post ("Wal Mart needs to close their doors!!!!")
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Staples chairs are total garbage. Don't expect more than a year out of them before they start coming apart. I bought two around the same time, they're both awful and I won't even waste my time trying to get them to do anything about them.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
I use Staples a few times a year for major print jobs that I place over the internet and pick up either locally or in cities across the country. My local store's print center staff are excellent, and they tend to be wherever I go across the country. Great service.

On the flip side:
  • a few months ago I went in to my local Staples to buy an ink cartridge for my not-even-4-year-old Canon multifunction printer (which was purchased at Staples), only to find none on the shelf. When I enquired about it, I was told "Oh, we're no longer stocking ink for that printer, but no need to worry - you'll still be able to order it online". So, although Staples used to pride themselves on having all ink cartridges in stock, now they're admitting they can't even be bothered to?
  • So back at home, I go online and click Staples' online 'Ink & Toner Finder' and select my printer from the list. Staples lists ELEVEN compatible Canon ink cartridge products for my printer.. however, only 5 of them are actually right; the other 6 cartridges fit (same series) but because of 'chip' technology, the printer will refuse to recognize them.
  • I notified Staples via their 'Contact Us-> Website' link about the above incorrect info on their webpage. 3 months later, they've done nothing about it. :|
  • I add the cartridge I need to my online shopping cart and proceed to the checkout. It says shipping on my $20 cartridge will cost me $15!! :-0
  • I see something on their website advertising "Order by phone or online and get FREE delivery* to your local Staples store. Then pick up at your convenience" [link]. That sounded good. Turns out, the fine print relating to the '*' reveals that "FREE delivery to your local Staples store" only applies to orders valued at $50 or greater - that's the same order-value that already qualifies customers to receive FREE shipping to home or office, so having to drive to the store is hardly a deal, and doesn't help me in my predicament.
  • I called my local store and asked if they could do a special order for my cartridge - I'd happily pre-pay for it too, so there was no risk they'd get stuck with it. Apparently not possible if it's available online. I explained the situation with the exorbitant shipping cost and was told "Just order 1 of each cartridge, you'll use them eventually".
  • I called 3 Staples stores in a 25-minute-drive radius and found 1 that had the ink cartridge in stock. I went and got it. It was the last one. They told me same thing, "Don't worry, from now on, just order it online". While writing this post, I've just gone to staples.ca to check whether they fixed the incorrectly-listed inks issue and discovered that 4 out of the 5 inks my printer requires are "Item not available" when added to my cart. :(
I'm tempted to bring my printer back to my local Staples and tell them that if they're not going to stock supplies for a product they've sold, they can have it back and I'll take a new model that they do stock ink in-store for in exchange.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)